Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

It feels like he's trying to make magic happen, but ignoring the fundamentals. We're not in a position for him to kick arsey goals or take screamers, we need him to be a team player.
I would give up the classy goals and screamers, if he just played more defensively -

Dont let the defenders run off you and become a loose man.

Choose when to go for the mark and when to stay down (depends if Larkey is also flying for the mark).

And when you are chasing a defender, sprint, just dont casually jog, like its someone else's man/problem.

Even if you know you ain't going to catch him, run like a madmen.

(see video of P. Curtis vs Essendon, of what not to do).

If he did these things, then I would be genuinely be sad, if Cam chose to go.

What happened to him? Used to do the hard stuff as well as anyone, now he just flies for hangers and tries to kick goals out of his ass (yes i'm exagerating)
Probably sick of losing. The same as the rest of our players. None of us know what it feels like to have to go to work every day and be under-performing. Getting grilled every week from randoms and half-wits behind a screen. Losing Tarryn ****ed us big time.

Probably sick of losing. The same as the rest of our players. None of us know what it feels like to have to go to work every day and be under-performing. Getting grilled every week from randoms and half-wits behind a screen. Losing Tarryn ****ed us big time.

This. He wants to go to work and have a actual outcome

He's been with us for 7 years? He's had enough

He got fitter than ever in the offseason but won't use it. Enough is enough, he was frequently a slow starter and was given the benefit of the doubt that things just "weren't clicking". but at some stage he has to actually produce SOMETHING. Chasing with intent in our F50 when we fluff it up and give them a mark/free would be a ****ing start. Can't stand seeing blokes just jog half heartedly (or not even bloody move at all!) while the opposition are just able to explode out of our F50.

Kick start the improvement you want to see instead of just wallowing in misery.

He got fitter than ever in the offseason but won't use it. Enough is enough, he was frequently a slow starter and was given the benefit of the doubt that things just "weren't clicking". but at some stage he has to actually produce SOMETHING. Chasing with intent in our F50 when we fluff it up and give them a mark/free would be a ******* start. Can't stand seeing blokes just jog half heartedly (or not even bloody move at all!) while the opposition are just able to explode out of our F50.

Kick start the improvement you want to see instead of just wallowing in misery.

He probably got fit thinking north was actually going to improve and win games. He maybe is frustrated too because he feels like he is wasting all his effort on the preseason to only find out the club Is not concerned on winning games.

Footy careers are fragile and could be over before you know it.

I hate that he is probably going to leave but I'm realistic, he has a lot of decent footy left and will be good in a team with a developed winning culture lol

And when or if he leaves watch its going to start a ripple or a butterfly effect among the players. This is why winning, even if its apparently useless to some and not worth it, even if its short term, Is important. Players have been shit for all of their career and no doubt are ****ing sick of it, so winning is pretty crucial to retain players too.

Take away the importance of winning and its hard to motivate players to want to give me effort or commit to the club

Every team passed on him a bunch of times in his draft.

Which isn't to say he owes the club or that this predicament is his fault or his issue to solve, but he is not driving this improvement or team success his manager wants to see. In fact, as an influential person, an experienced and talent player, he isn't even holding up his end of the bargain and doing the minimum.

Won't be bothered if he leaves. Says a bit about him I reckon, given the above.

Probably sick of losing. The same as the rest of our players.
You could have left it there. But, some of us have been through it before. With some alterations to the off field personnel (no, I'm not suggesting Sonja, more football related) it will turn around, just be patient.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People here still very harsh on him. Unfair to say he's not trying, reasonable to note that it's not working out for him.

I hope he looks at the 11 tackles video. The ground he made up to get Broad was extraordinary. He needs to remember what he's capable of.
He needs to pull his finger out - work harder and smarter. Compared to how he started last year this season is a bit of a joke.

Its not just that he doesn't work hard enough chasing or making leads for his team mates, there are times where he stands flat footed in front of other forwards when they could be leading or even dummy leading for him. he might not even be up to it but he's one of the leaders and he made alot of statements at the start of the year but hasn't put his money where his mouth is yet.

I agree with the bolded to be honest. I think he has forgotten how to play footy the way he can, maybe because his mind isn't on it.

Just need to know if he's in or out. It's that simple.

If he's out, fine I'll alter my expectations. If he's in, I'll expect him to do everything he can for the jumper so every other young player can follow him. This is how we get out of this mess.

Last edited:
He needs to pull his finger out - work harder and smarter. Compared to how he started last year this season is a bit of a joke.

Its not just that he doesn't work hard enough chasing or making leads for his team mates, there are times where he stands flat footed in front of other forwards when they could be leading or even dummy leading for him. he might not even be up to it but he's one of the leaders and he made alot of statements at the start of the year but hasn't put his money where his mouth is yet.

I agree with the bolded to be honest. I think he has forgotten how to play footy the way he can, maybe because his mind isn't on it.
I agree with you about Zurhaars efforts, but on reflection he and they are not being helped much with use. It's an on going process. Until they get it consistent it'll look great at times and shit at others. There needs to be a slight change in personnel and development of the players that are there. We know all this, it's just going to take the maturing.

Looks like the worlds on his shoulders.

Still hope he sticks around and becomes part of a resurgence.

Well to be fair, he's brought it upon himself by putting off contract talks and his reason for it.

I'm on the fence about him staying or not. If it's the Cam Zurhaar from the Richmond game when Shaw had just taken over as caretaker coach then I'll take him every day. However, if it's the Cam Zurhaar we've seen for most of this season then I don't think he's going to be part of the long-term solution.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back