Player Watch #46: Ben Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

7th season 25 career games, now has the chance to claim the number 1 KPD role so its very much a case of now or never for Ben.

If he can step up and fill the void then it solves a big issue in our team structure, if he can't then we've got some serious issues coming as our current KPD stocks are incredibly thin, with Miller Young and Gibcus being the only 3 we have in the list at present.

So no pressure Benny, just do it.

He can do it. As long as 'do it' is a decent B grade KPD, he'll be fine.

Gibcus is potential A grade.

But very happy to have Miller in back up. Not long ago we had no one to take the spot.

Got his best ever write up in the vfl report so thats good. Now it needs to translate into AFL form.
Providing they don’t screw him around again and play him as a ruck or a tall forward who has to bring footy to the ground. He’s actually an attacking backman, but they gave him defensive roles in the ruck and forward spots last year. If you want to kill a players confidence and natural instincts under last year the coaches did a good job of it. I can’t wait to see him play where he showed he was most capable at.

Providing they don’t screw him around again and play him as a ruck or a tall forward who has to bring footy to the ground. He’s actually an attacking backman, but they gave him defensive roles in the ruck and forward spots last year. If you want to kill a players confidence and natural instincts under last year the coaches did a good job of it. I can’t wait to see him play where he showed he was most capable at.
Because we were desperate for a forward. Having never played there other than the odd quarter in the VFL, it was a big ask. Same with Pickett last year, he took one for the side. Didn't work either. As luck would have it, we are very light on for talls, and luck (bad) has given him a chance, the best of his career so far.

Because we were desperate for a forward. Having never played there other than the odd quarter in the VFL, it was a big ask. Same with Pickett last year, he took one for the side. Didn't work either. As luck would have it, we are very light on for talls, and luck (bad) has given him a chance, the best of his career so far.
but it was more the forward role he was asked to play was very negative.

but it was more the forward role he was asked to play was very negative.
Yes, but he never really launched at the ball which forwards have to do. Good forwards are pretty aggressive.

I hope he goes well because if he can replace Gibcus we are not really losing much. Gibcus is young and developing, still a work in progress, Miller at least now is seasoned. So hopefully he takes the opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying to think...when was the last time a player sat on a list for 7 years and came good?
Fingers crossed.

It is certainly uncommon. Miller has been on the list for 6 seasons, this is his 7th. He was drafted with Balta, who we might be seeing taking a good step forward this season. Recent flag teams have contained players like Frampton, Markov, Townsend for example, who were never fully established in their first 6 seasons, and may never be. Hawks had Whitecross, and players like Schoenmakers. Mitch Hinge took about 6 years to get established in a team, seems to be doing ok at Adelaide. Ryan Lester Brisbane. Jack Payne drafted same year as Miller. Pittonet and Kennedy Carlton. Tom DeKoning Carlton. Mason Wood Saints.

So it seems most teams have guys like Miller that have been hanging around a list for 6 or more years without establishing themselves. But your question is really how many of them have "come good?" I'd say coming good is getting to a level of fully establishing yourself in the best 22 of a team that is at least average. Mason Wood, Hinge and Markov from the above list possibly fit that description but probably need more time established to be properly judged.

Miller should get a real chance here. He will have to overcome his lack of confidence which has sometimes seen him get the kicking yips when playing back, and he will also need to stand up to the big guys physically. Fingers crossed. If he goes well the future of our 3 tall defenders being Miller, Young, on the big guys and Gibcus intercepting is a fairly nice thought. Just back the guy in and judge him at the end of the season.

It is certainly uncommon. Miller has been on the list for 6 seasons, this is his 7th. He was drafted with Balta, who we might be seeing taking a good step forward this season. Recent flag teams have contained players like Frampton, Markov, Townsend for example, who were never fully established in their first 6 seasons, and may never be. Hawks had Whitecross, and players like Schoenmakers. Mitch Hinge took about 6 years to get established in a team, seems to be doing ok at Adelaide. Ryan Lester Brisbane. Jack Payne drafted same year as Miller. Pittonet and Kennedy Carlton. Tom DeKoning Carlton. Mason Wood Saints.

So it seems most teams have guys like Miller that have been hanging around a list for 6 or more years without establishing themselves. But your question is really how many of them have "come good?" I'd say coming good is getting to a level of fully establishing yourself in the best 22 of a team that is at least average. Mason Wood, Hinge and Markov from the above list possibly fit that description but probably need more time established to be properly judged.

Miller should get a real chance here. He will have to overcome his lack of confidence which has sometimes seen him get the kicking yips when playing back, and he will also need to stand up to the big guys physically. Fingers crossed. If he goes well the future of our 3 tall defenders being Miller, Young, on the big guys and Gibcus intercepting is a fairly nice thought. Just back the guy in and judge him at the end of the season.

yeah, but .... Miller doing fine as a back. He was then thrown forward.

As a forward he isn't aggressive enough. And doesn't seem to have the extra instinct.

As a back he has been fine. Not Rance, but fine.

His problem is that he was he guy they sent to fill the forward hole. And he didn't do it. So he is seen as a failed forward, rather than as a good developing KPD.

So if he can go on from where he was then he'll be fine. (Still rather Gibcus, but you take what you have)

yeah, but .... Miller doing fine as a back. He was then thrown forward.

As a forward he isn't aggressive enough. And doesn't seem to have the extra instinct.

As a back he has been fine. Not Rance, but fine.

His problem is that he was he guy they sent to fill the forward hole. And he didn't do it. So he is seen as a failed forward, rather than as a good developing KPD.

So if he can go on from where he was then he'll be fine. (Still rather Gibcus, but you take what you have)

I think Gibcus, Young and Miller are all pretty swift with decent agility, so you can play the 3 of those together in one defensive structure.

2026 back 7:

Talls Gibcus Miller Young(need to recruit at east 1 understudy)
Mediums Brown Vlastuin(Trezise, Bauer? in reserve)
Runners Rioli Short(Kaleb Smith developing in this type of role)

That wouldn't look too bad if Gibcus makes a full recovery and Miller becomes at least an average AFL Key Defender.

With Gibcus gone for the year and Grimes in his final season, this is literally it for Miller and his career with us in 2024.

He can cement himself into a long career with the Tigers as a defender for the next 150 games, or he fails this season and he probably becomes a VFL player or asks for a move elsewhere.

I don't think he'll ever make it as a forward but could see him a KPD who very occasionally floats into the ruck when needed.

With Gibcus gone for the year and Grimes in his final season, this is literally it for Miller and his career with us in 2024.

He can cement himself into a long career with the Tigers as a defender for the next 150 games, or he fails this season and he probably becomes a VFL player or asks for a move elsewhere.

I don't think he'll ever make it as a forward but could see him a KPD who very occasionally floats into the ruck when needed.
I love him down back; a strong mark, seems to have a really solid games sense and looks super composed with and without the ball. His time to shine is now and I think he will

This is a player i believe we have totally stuffed up without it all being his fault

Never allowed to settle in any position and constantly used to plug holes

He should have been built up to become our Astbury replacement and settle in the 1 position before being thrown around

This is a player i believe we have totally stuffed up without it all being his fault

Never allowed to settle in any position and constantly used to plug holes

He should have been built up to become our Astbury replacement and settle in the 1 position before being thrown around
He was great early on as I remember him playing against Hawkins and the likes and he more than held his own. Then for the reasons Dim Sim only knows played out of position. He and Cumbo, have head illnesses they have to overcome the way they have been treated but their ability is still there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back