Retired #47: James Kelly - Retirement announced - 16/8 - Essendon Performance Coach - 19/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Gleeson is turning 23 next year in his 5th year. He could have mentored both via a coaching role.

To have Dea and Kelly means they will get games ahead of Gleeson and McKenna. Add Baguley and you have the small spots sorted.

We'll have Dea, Kelly, Baguley, Gleeson, McKenna + maybe Myers will be swung back there, Goddard wanting to sweep. Unless we play 2 talls and use Dea as the pinch hit 3rd.

Interesting to see how we set up as we are dying for some run off half back.

All of those players (bar Baguley - different role anyway) played in the same team this season, so how does it stop McKenna and Gleeson from getting games/development exactly?

Quick, everyone! Emulate the freak premiership that is the first to have no previous premiership players in it since 1996!

Sound plan.

Ha, I've been wanting to say the same, but you've articulated it so much better than I could.

Path to Premiership success = emulate the club that hadn't won one for 62 years, simple.

Dogs are a bad example - throughout the season they had M.Boyd playing in the J.Kelly role and they also brought in the experienced Suckling who contributed to a lot of wins before injury kept him out of finals side. Adding Dale Morris means at least half their usual defensive lineup was very experienced. JJ is also hardly inexperienced and neither is Easton Wood at the age of 27. So majority of dogs defence were in fact very experienced players.

Add to this Rob Murphy played the first 3 matches and is also best 18 in their defensive lineup and on the list. The dogs would arguably have one of the most experienced defences in the competition.

C'mon mate, The Doggies have the plan - only bring in young talent, no old plodders. Keep the list young. No way The Doggies would bring in say a Jed Adcock, or a Matt Suckling, or a Travis Cloke, not a chance in hell! And Doggies supporters can sleep easy knowing their List Managers will make the hard call on Bob Murphy at 35 coming back from a knee reco - he'll have to go so there's room in the 22 to continue to develop the youth. I mean, what would it say about The Doggies half back line if Murphy gets a game?

Last edited:

He'll definitely begin the year in the 22...and it wouldn't be even close to not being the case. Not even close.
I've certainly got him in my best 22, but i wouldn't say it isn't a close thing... If Mckenna or Gleeson have big preseasons then Kelly could well be left out for team balance. Personally i really struggle with our half backline. I really want Walla there for his speed and decision making, while it's become the only area that i really like BJ to play.
Just quietly, this signing should really send a shiver down Stantons back.

I've certainly got him in my best 22, but i wouldn't say it isn't a close thing... If Mckenna or Gleeson have big preseasons then Kelly could well be left out for team balance. Personally i really struggle with our half backline. I really want Walla there for his speed and decision making, while it's become the only area that i really like BJ to play.
Just quietly, this signing should really send a shiver down Stantons back.
I think you're underrating Kelly.

He's comfortably in.

I think you're underrating Kelly.

He's comfortably in.
If the likes of Francis etc are knocking the door down, then someone has to give don't they? Who's it going to be? Not likely a KP player, so who's left? Would you play Kelly ahead of Walla? Ahead of Myers? I think realistically, there is only the likes of Hocking and Stanton that Kelly could be ahead of and that will just come down to form. So yeah, he's probably bottom 3

I'm surprised at some of the negative feedback here.

His 2016 form was excellent. This isn't solely due to the fact we had an inexperienced list either, he genuinely played well and any of the other 17 teams would acknowledge this fact also.

Lots of positives with this signing:
- Loves the footy club
- Great personality, excellent for the culture & atmosphere
- Still in great form
- Will slot in really nicely with our experienced players (Hooker, Hurley, Heppell, Jobe)
- The continued development of our young guys like Francis and Gleeson will be significant

:thumbsu:

Can already see in the pre - season videos the leadership and personality he brings to the footy club. Would be one of the best clubmen to have around.

Rooming with a kid who idolised him growing up too (Josh Begley). One star struck kid id say haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't worry about James Kelly just hope Francis and the likes can take the next step

Interesting insight in that article about the draftees being held back. the grumbling in the ranks reference implies they are not injured or anything, just being managed. It is a bit frustrating for those players and we supporters who would love to see early progress, but really, how many times do you see the 18 year olds miss big chunks of their first season due to injury?
It seems to be part of Crow's conservative player management approach, and hopefully it yields medium and longer term benefits.

Interesting insight in that article about the draftees being held back. the grumbling in the ranks reference implies they are not injured or anything, just being managed. It is a bit frustrating for those players and we supporters who would love to see early progress, but really, how many times do you see the 18 year olds miss big chunks of their first season due to injury?
It seems to be part of Crow's conservative player management approach, and hopefully it yields medium and longer term benefits.

I think most clubs handle their 1st year players in a similar way. Aside from that, Crow seems to be doing a good job.

I think most clubs handle their 1st year players in a similar way. Aside from that, Crow seems to be doing a good job.

It is interesting that Begley and McGrath seem to be doing most if not all of the training. They are probably the two most physically mature bodies of the draftees, along with possibly Clark.
I am not sure how much this is aimed at protecting young bodies from over work injuries and how much is for other reasons. Eg Draper has a big strong mature physique yet seems to be doing less than anyone on the track.
Maybe it is just that we don't hear much about them in training reports because they are not doing anything to catch the eye, but there has been very little about Mutch and Ridley in reports. Not sure if they are on restricted programs due to physical limitations or what.

It is interesting that Begley and McGrath seem to be doing most if not all of the training. They are probably the two most physically mature bodies of the draftees, along with possibly Clark.
I am not sure how much this is aimed at protecting young bodies from over work injuries and how much is for other reasons. Eg Draper has a big strong mature physique yet seems to be doing less than anyone on the track.
Maybe it is just that we don't hear much about them in training reports because they are not doing anything to catch the eye, but there has been very little about Mutch and Ridley in reports. Not sure if they are on restricted programs due to physical limitations or what.

I agree, when you think about it Draper is out of the SANFL with limited AFL experience/pre-seasons, so a steady as she goes approach is sensible. Ridley and Mutch are lighter framed kids, so possible doing less? We also don't know their recent injury histories.

Is this from over management?

Purely speculation but you probably don't want to be combining a weights program designed to put size and strength on young players with the sort of cardio you get from a full AFL training session. Begley being huge already and McGrath being more or less AFL ready despite the lighter frame might make weights less of a priority for them which be why they are able to do more training with the rest of the team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back