Retired #47: James Kelly - Retirement announced - 16/8 - Essendon Performance Coach - 19/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Gun

Still has pace saw him chase someone down yesterday. Geelong probably retired some of these guys early - Johnson kicked 2.5 in his last game for them including a 65m left foot torp. My brother a docker fan said if they had pavlich they would have retired him a few years back.

I can understand Geelong moving on Kelly because they had options (particularly before Thurlow got injured).

Freo moving on Palich is not the same. Neither Taberner nor Mayne have been enough of a threat to command a quality key defender in the last few years.

Their forward alternatives have been Apeness (who is now just a third year player) and some ruckmen. There has not really been an alternative (and it is not like they have not been trying to lure a key forward).

Unlike the other veterans we have recruited, Goddard and maybe Chapman aside, I would not be against Kelly going on next year if that is what he wanted and his body holds up. He's a general in defence and a quality player. God if I was Richmond I would be in his ear (and/or going back to Dea with tale between legs).

Last edited:

As important as he is in setting up our defence, their might be a temptation to start him on the ball some weeks. I think a lot of teams will be trying to blow us away early so they can cruise and/or experiment for the rest of the game, ala gc, port and coll.

It's not particularly close, either.
Stokes was the frontrunner after the first 3 but has dropped off somewhat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually reckon he could go around again if he wanted to. Get some quality players back next year and play him of half back. He is a general back there, and offers much more poise and leadership then the likes of Dempsey and Gwilt.

I would but Kelly has made it clear a few times that it's only for 1 year has his job in the AFL to go back to.
What player would forego playing in front of 50,000+ every week, possibly play finals, and earn a truck load of money for a job at the AFL. Even if he is contracted to return to the job you'd negotiate things somehow.

I actually reckon he could go around again if he wanted to. Get some quality players back next year and play him of half back. He is a general back there, and offers much more poise and leadership then the likes of Dempsey and Gwilt.
I agree. He should definitely go around again. Players are lasting longer, Hawthorn are the perfect example of that. The only issue would probably be our salary cap? He will get to 300 games next year if he plays on.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/2d51d8646598ce26b214d4f7f4810391

James Kelly may go on again with Essendon after first season gets off to flying start

JAMES Kelly’s chances of playing on next season are likely to be boosted if Essendon retains all of its suspended stars.

The Bombers could not be more impressed with the triple-premiership player, who won an AFL lifeline when he signed as a top-up player in January after being delisted by Geelong.

The Dons are confident of holding all 12 of their banned players.

But if several big names did not return, Kelly would be more likely to go given the Bombers would be less likely to seriously challenge in 2017.

Kelly, 32, was physically battered when he finished at the Cats last season but after freshening up he has enjoyed a sharp spike in performance under coach John Worsfold.

He has been the clear pick of the 10 top-ups and is averaging a career-high 103 SuperCoach points.

Kelly is averaging five more disposals this season and is almost regarded as an on-field coach given the direction he offers Worsfold’s clutch of youngsters.

Kelly sits on 279 career games and barring injury a bonus season would see him celebrate the 300 milestone.

Kelly’s manager, Kam Simsek of Strategic Management, said he was yet to discuss the prospect of playing on with his client but the 2011 All-Australian would only continue for the right reasons.

Simsek said Kelly was loving life at Tullamarine after a “premature” end to his Geelong days.

“He’s a competitive beast (and is) really, really enjoying it,” Simsek said.

In the first quarter of Sunday’s loss to Carlton Kelly spent several minutes offering guidance and encouragement to struggling forward Joe Daniher on the bench.

There has been some confusion as to whether clubs would be allowed to sign Essendon top-up players as delisted free agents if they are passed up in November’s national draft.

But the AFL confirmed to the Herald Sun on Monday night that the top-ups can only join AFL lists for 2017 via selection in the national or rookie drafts.

The Bombers do not have priority access to any of their late signings.

The Bombers are thrilled with the attitude of all their top-up players and are expected to seriously discuss their prospects beyond this season at about Round 19.

There are several scenarios which could impact decisions, including what players the Bombers bring in during October’s trade period.

Delisted Tigers defender Matthew Dea has also impressed but is likely to be passed by the returning Michael Hibberd and expected emergence of injured No. 6 draft pick Aaron Francis.

The Bombers re-signed All-Australian defender Cale Hooker for five years last week and are confident of reaching terms with fellow swingman Michael Hurley.

Chief executive Xavier Campbell said on Sunday that any compensation claims lodged by the suspended players would not impact their return to the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back