Retired #47: James Kelly - Retirement announced - 16/8 - Essendon Performance Coach - 19/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Suggest Chapman hit wall faster. Conceivably Kelly could have gone another year.

Respect players though who pull pin before they slide

I reckon Kelly's 2016 and Chapman's 2014 would be pretty even. But yeah, Chapman hit the wall and his second season with us was a bit of a write-off.

Both were comfortably better than Cooney but it seems like Kelly and Cooney embraced the club moreso, while for Chapman it was just a way to prolong his career (I'm ok with that FWIW).

I reckon Kelly's 2016 and Chapman's 2014 would be pretty even. But yeah, Chapman hit the wall and his second season with us was a bit of a write-off.

Both were comfortably better than Cooney but it seems like Kelly and Cooney embraced the club moreso, while for Chapman it was just a way to prolong his career (I'm ok with that FWIW).
It feels like the supporters have embraced Kelly and Cooney moreso than Chapman in return as well. Particularly Kelly, he's been invaluable to us.

Chapman's 2014 included some great games but far behind Kelly's 2 years for mine.

It feels like the supporters have embraced Kelly and Cooney moreso than Chapman in return as well. Particularly Kelly, he's been invaluable to us.

I think Chapman was embraced a lot more than Cooney by fans when they were playing, but he left and fired some shots at Goddard, while Cooney said all the right things and his family converted to Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ripping servant for the past 2 seasons, was extremely fond of him as a player at Geelong and to carry himself in such a manner for us, is a credit and the level of respect has grown even more.

Cheers Kel.

Agree he gave us more than, Chappy, however Chappy did kick 4 vs Norf in a game, which makes him a rather fond memory.

Two things:

1. His stay at Essendon has ended being only two years, but somehow (and unlike our other mature recruits) it feels like it's been longer with Pops for me. Just feel like he's been a part of the fabric for longer than he actually has

2. He seems to be that rare breed of player who no one has a bad word to say about. I know BF is hardly a microcosm of the best aspects of society or even of football fandom, but one of the things that marks nearly all retirement threads on the main forums these days are the incessant s**t flingers. Kelly's has been entirely free of that, which must say something for how widely admired he was

Two things:

1. His stay at Essendon has ended being only two years, but somehow (and unlike our other mature recruits) it feels like it's been longer with Pops for me. Just feel like he's been a part of the fabric for longer than he actually has

2. He seems to be that rare breed of player who no one has a bad word to say anything about. I know BF is hardly a microcosm of the best aspects of society or even of football fandom, but one of the things that marks nearly all retirement threads on the main forums these days are the incessant s**t flingers. Kelly's has been entirely free of that, which must say something for how widely admired he was
The fact that most people thought he could go another year contributes to the first point I think. Of players that have come from other clubs I personally think only Pops and Goddard have truly played for the jumper.

I know others have put in effort but I feel that those two know the club.

We have picked up so much rubbish over the years. Pops is the only one of those four that was good.

1. Pops

2. Cooney
3. Gwilt
4. Chappy
Disagree. And you're judging Chappy way too harshly, his first year for us was really good, although he fell away the second year. Cooney was bog average both years and Gwilt was solid for both

Disagree. And you're judging Chappy way too harshly, his first year for us was really good, although he fell away the second year. Cooney was bog average both years and Gwilt was solid for both
I didn't rate Chappy. Amazing player at Geelong but couldn't get out of first gear with us.

Chappy was good for half his first year, then he was s**t. Worst of the lot.

Gwilt was servicable. Cooney was mediocre but good to have around. Kelly has been good, and good to have around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back