World Cup 48 teams for the 2026 World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want to be obtuse, sure.

I'm not the one advocating allocation of world cup spots based on the amount of members in a confederation.

CONCACAF has 3 teams good enough to compete at a WC finals (US / Mexico / Costa Rica) and 2 more competitive teams (Canada / Honduras).

Most of the rest are insignificant nations football wise who are simply not competitive in international football and very unlikely to ever be so.

All 10 CONEMBOL teams are good enough to play at a WC. There is no way there should be more CONCACAF teams at a WC.

I'm not the one advocating allocation of world cup spots based on the amount of members in a confederation.

CONCACAF has 3 teams good enough to compete at a WC finals (US / Mexico / Costa Rica) and 2 more competitive teams (Canada / Honduras).

Most of the rest are insignificant nations football wise who are simply not competitive in international football and very unlikely to ever be so.

All 10 CONEMBOL teams are good enough to play at a WC. There is no way there should be more CONCACAF teams at a WC.
LqRvG.gif

Canada's not even a Top 10 nation of North America. They're that bad.

Last edited:

No, you're the one advocating giving everybody in CONMEBOL a free pass to the World Cup at the expense of all the other confederations. A proposal you know would never fly.

So if my understanding is correct, the format is:

• 48 teams.
  • 16 groups of 3 teams. Teams play each other once and top 2 progress.
  • Leaving 32 teams who then get divided into 8 groups of 4 - ie the more traditional tournament format takes over?
I can see how it definitely appeals to smaller nations who get close but can't quite make the WC (when it's a 32 team format). It does seem like its all about the money - especially if trying to make it more accessible for developing countries like China and India.

The biggest issue I have will probably how they allocate the extra spots. Europe, South America and even Africa probably are worthy of getting more qualifiers but for Asia and North & Central America seemingly getting big increases in the number of spots screams of pandering to those member nations rather than rewarding them on footballing merit.

Also, if Oceania gets a token spot, that suggests the Confederation will be here to stay.

Leaving 32 teams who then get divided into 8 groups of 4 - ie the more traditional tournament format takes over?
It's knockout after the group stage. There's a round of 32.

It's knockout after the group stage. There's a round of 32.

Ah, that makes more sense, article I read must have been a bit confused lol. Was thinking they would need to expand the WC squad sizes to cater for extra group games!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if my understanding is correct, the format is:

• 48 teams.
  • 16 groups of 3 teams. Teams play each other once and top 2 progress.
  • Leaving 32 teams who then get divided into 8 groups of 4 - ie the more traditional tournament format takes over?
I can see how it definitely appeals to smaller nations who get close but can't quite make the WC (when it's a 32 team format). It does seem like its all about the money - especially if trying to make it more accessible for developing countries like China and India.

The biggest issue I have will probably how they allocate the extra spots. Europe, South America and even Africa probably are worthy of getting more qualifiers but for Asia and North & Central America seemingly getting big increases in the number of spots screams of pandering to those member nations rather than rewarding them on footballing merit.

Also, if Oceania gets a token spot, that suggests the Confederation will be here to stay.

Just for your referance, you already know that top 2 go through to a 32 team knock-out, here are the spot allocations:

Africa, Asia, and NA the big winners from all this, getting virtually double their spots, while SA and Europe sees little gained.

The Round of 32 is really where the extra games are coming from. Hosting requirements are expected to be the same, so honest don't have to worry about any extra stadiums for more games.

The 2026 host will be announced this month and it’s almost certain to be the joint bid from USA, Mexico and Canada. I haven’t seen any mention of which country if any will be granted automatic qualification. As we know, the USA don’t always qualify for the World Cup!

The 2026 host will be announced this month and it’s almost certain to be the joint bid from USA, Mexico and Canada. I haven’t seen any mention of which country if any will be granted automatic qualification. As we know, the USA don’t always qualify for the World Cup!

Of course all three will get automatic qualification. Japan and South Korea got it for 2002 so I don't see why a World Cup that now has 50% more teams would have a problem fitting 50% more automatically qualified teams.

Of course all three will get automatic qualification. Japan and South Korea got it for 2002 so I don't see why a World Cup that now has 50% more teams would have a problem fitting 50% more automatically qualified teams.

So in theory, a Benelux bid should have Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg all qualify for the World Cup?

FIFA trying their best to ruin the standard of their flagship tournament. The expanded euros was weak and teams played for draws..

The 2050 FIFA World Cup, officially known as Europe 2050, will have all European countries granted direct access.

The 128 countries will compete in a straight knockout tournament. :rolleyes:

I can't believe I only just found out it's 16 groups of 3. What the actual *? I automatically assumed it'd be 12 groups of 4. Silly me.

^ group of 4 = 3 matches per team, 6 per group. 8 groups of 4 = 48 R1 matches

group of 3 = 2 matches per team, 3 per group. 16 groups of 3 = 48 R1 matches

But with a new round of 32, 32 teams will still pay at least 3 matches. The extra 16 teams will only play 2 matches. Will make it harder to progress with a R1 loss. Then again, a team could progress on GD with a loss and a draw.

America will win the World Cup and visit President Sanders at the White House.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back