Player Watch #5: Curtis Taylor - re-signed until the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

As I wrote somewhere recently - very hard to know the best 22 for found 1 - you could easily be correct that neither play - of play

Both in great Nick snd training so time will tell but with so much competition for spots snd new leadership - who knows.

Both great to have on the list with plenty to offer so fingers crossed they can step up this year!

Curtis does not play KT's ot Stephenson's role in the side.
The captain will take a forward spot.
Larkey & Zurhaar are locks.

This leaves one spot open for Garner, Taylor & Thomas. We can argue the merits of who gets that spot, but none of them are automatic locks.

Down the other end in defence, I reckon Kyron is definitely outside the best 6 as of right now.

McKay, Tarrant, Corr & McDonald are locks. Kyron does not play Atley's role, so the way I see it Kyron is battling for a spot with Young & Perez.

Neither are automatic locks.

Without going full Confucius, they'll turn.

Kayne Turner was all the rage early on before some supporters cottoned on that his numbers weren't going magically going up. Suddenly those handful of very visible pressure acts didn't provide the sugar hit for them anymore.

If Taylor or Thomas don't increase their production (you've posted about this a bit) I expect they'll be in the gun soon enough when 2-3 goals every 2-3 games with some nice marks thrown in don't sate the collective appetites.
I saw what you did there...

Sugar hit, very good.

Not sure why Taylor wouldn't be in the team for Rd 1 if it was picked now. Perfectly suited to the high half forward role, was in there from Rd 1 in 2020, showed plenty. We haven't brought anyone in that will immediately take the spot from him. That could change over the course of the pre-season, but right now, he'd be in.

His early highlights reel is nice, but he's still just a 10 disposal player.

He needs to go up another gear now.
Everyone in that group (2016-18 draftees) need to go up a gear now now. JY and LDU's next gear is to be stand out mids in the comp. The guys from the 2018 draft just need to follow the general trajectory those other two have taken. There seems no reason why they won't.

His stats for last year are nearly identical to Jy's first year and very similar to LDU's, especially the disposal count. He took more marks and made less tackles than JY but otherwise very similar stat lines. His 2020 season stats are also very similar to Bailey Scott. He has played as many games as he averages disposals. Each of those 2018 kids also have similar stat lines. They have all had 18 plus disposal games, can all take contested marks, kick goals and win contested and uncontested ball. They all read the play well, link up well and get to spots that matter.

The good thing about Taylor seems to be that he works on his weaknesses. For example his endurance (and as a result consistency across games) was sposed to be an issue. But he pushed himself to fifth in the time trial for the younger guys earlier this year. (Seems like Bailey in that regard and even Tarryn looks like he has put in plenty of off season gym work.) And last year he pushed himself into the R1 side and basically won the game for us, with as much hard contested footy as anything else.

I think he is as likely as any from the 2018 draft class to play round 1. But none of them have made it as footy players yet.

And yet all three could play round one or none could depending on how things go in the next couple of months.

Everyone in that group (2016-18 draftees) need to go up a gear now now. JY and LDU's next gear is to be stand out mids in the comp. The guys from the 2018 draft just need to follow the general trajectory those other two have taken. There seems no reason why they won't.

His stats for last year are nearly identical to Jy's first year and very similar to LDU's, especially the disposal count. He took more marks and made less tackles than JY but otherwise very similar stat lines. His 2020 season stats are also very similar to Bailey Scott. He has played as many games as he averages disposals. Each of those 2018 kids also have similar stat lines. They have all had 18 plus disposal games, can all take contested marks, kick goals and win contested and uncontested ball. They all read the play well, link up well and get to spots that matter.

The good thing about Taylor seems to be that he works on his weaknesses. For example his endurance (and as a result consistency across games) was sposed to be an issue. But he pushed himself to fifth in the time trial for the younger guys earlier this year. (Seems like Bailey in that regard and even Tarryn looks like he has put in plenty of off season gym work.) And last year he pushed himself into the R1 side and basically won the game for us, with as much hard contested footy as anything else.

I think he is as likely as any from the 2018 draft class to play round 1. But none of them have made it as footy players yet.

And yet all three could play round one or none could depending on how things go in the next couple of months.
100% agree.
2020 was good in the fact that due to extensive injuries a lot of the young kids got games.
It was also bad because there really wasn't any reserved league for them to grow and develop in.
2021 will be a big year for the majority of the young kids on our list.
Expecting a lot of those guys to bring their game numbers upto 40/50+ and start to really cement their positions.

This leaves one spot open for Garner, Taylor & Thomas. We can argue the merits of who gets that spot, but none of them are automatic locks.

Down the other end in defence, I reckon Kyron is definitely outside the best 6 as of right now.

McKay, Tarrant, Corr & McDonald are locks. Kyron does not play Atley's role, so the way I see it Kyron is battling for a spot with Young & Perez.

this is pretty much how I see it too - both certainly relying on bench spots and with talk of two rucks a chance that’s even tighter.

I would think TT is a lock too btw - silk

All comes down to the strategic questions(
- game plan needs
- ruck strategy
- forward strategy - tall/small
- readiness of the new kids

Great problem to have !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% agree.
2020 was good in the fact that due to extensive injuries a lot of the young kids got games.
It was also bad because there really wasn't any reserved league for them to grow and develop in.
2021 will be a big year for the majority of the young kids on our list.
Expecting a lot of those guys to bring their game numbers upto 40/50+ and start to really cement their positions.
The most Curtis can get to is 36, if he plays every game and three finals. If he makes 30 games this year he will be doing very well. Scott has played 17 games and Thomas about 25 or 26.

In two years we'll know if they go the way of JY or Mason Wood. Here's hoping its Jy's way.

The most Curtis can get to is 36, if he plays every game and three finals. If he makes 30 games this year he will be doing very well. Scott has played 17 games and Thomas about 25 or 26.

In two years we'll know if they go the way of JY or Mason Wood. Here's hoping its Jy's way.
Maybe I should have changed it to 30-50+ but you get the point.
Its significant games experience over what they currently have,

Maybe I should have changed it to 30-50+ but you get the point.
Its significant games experience over what they currently have,
Yeah, i left a bit out. Not so much quibbling over numbers, more what I meant was if Curtis is 30-35, Bailey 35-40 and TT somewhere around 45 then 2022 will be an interesting year. But they'd have to have very good seasons. They would have to win a spot early and hold it nearly all year against some very good footy players. If they do tho, wow. If they aren't a chance of 50 games in 2022 by the end of the season that would be worrying for them.

Realistically Thomas has already had a 20 game season but the others haven't so they may need more time in the VFL. If I was Curtis I'd be aiming for 15 games and dominating the VFL. But as a supporter I hope he plays 20. Bailey Scott hasn't played 15 games ina season yet either but if I was him I'd be aiming to win then hold my spot all year.

As far as Curtis playing r1, he did last year but it might not hurt to say to him: "Get 25 possessions or 5 goals a couple of times and you're in with a shot at seniors". I dunno. It depends on the pre season. I just want to see the best side.

Last edited:

Outside of Cunners, Jye, Tarrant, Lukey M, Goldie and Corr (barring injury) no one else is a lock. I'm guessing with natural progression Buckets, Larks, Taylor, Cam Z, Mahoney, Thomas, LDU, Scott, Hayden, Perez, Young, WW and Big X may also be in there, then you have Hall, Atley, Walker, Turner and Dumont who's to say this is the direction the coach is going in. Could he look at blooding a few newbies. Round one is pure speculation based on 90% guess work.

Outside of Cunners, Jye, Tarrant, Lukey M, Goldie and Corr (barring injury) no one else is a lock. I'm guessing with natural progression Buckets, Larks, Taylor, Cam Z, Mahoney, Thomas, LDU, Scott, Hayden, Perez, Young, WW and Big X may also be in there, then you have Hall, Atley, Walker, Turner and Dumont who's to say this is the direction the coach is going in. Could he look at blooding a few newbies. Round one is pure speculation based on 90% guess work.

You left out the captain.

Again.

You're in no position to critique anyone.

If Curtis, Tarryn and Zurhaar arent locks for the best 22 round 1, then we must be a lot better than i think.
We need to get games into these kids, and get them into them as quickly as possible.
Disappointing part was that Tarryn and Curtis got injured last year, which meant that they could have taken on more responsibility towards the back half of the year, even play on ball at times.

these guys are like 20 years old, we need to be patient. But Curtis has tricks, just needs an endurance base to allow him to get to enough contests.
Actually, this is what i required for all our young blokes. They impact contests, they just don't get to enough

There’s probably a bench spot for a forward and a back as well, although other players then come into the mix like J Walker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back