Player Watch #5: Curtis Taylor - re-signed until the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone would need to explain the Fyfe comparision to me. He's nowhere near Fyfe's size and I haven't seen his aerial game or ground game being like Fyfe's.
Get what you're saying, but Fyfe wasn't Fyfe's size when he was Taylor's age. It requires a bit of projection and optimism, can see the comparison because I think Curtis is excellent overhead and seems to have that mentality to want to dominate. I'm obviously not saying he's going to end up as good as Fyfe, but I can see the comparison in terms of type, especially if he gets bigger and moves through the midfield.

Get what you're saying, but Fyfe wasn't Fyfe's size when he was Taylor's age. It requires a bit of projection and optimism, can see the comparison because I think Curtis is excellent overhead and seems to have that mentality to want to dominate. I'm obviously not saying he's going to end up as good as Fyfe, but I can see the comparison in terms of type, especially if he gets bigger and moves through the midfield.

He'll never have Fyfe's size. Curtis is more aerial than Fyfe. Don't get the comparison at all.

I do like Scott Welsh comp.

He'll never have Fyfe's size. Curtis is more aerial than Fyfe. Don't get the comparison at all.

I do like Scott Welsh comp.

I don’t necessarily agree that he can go full midfielder like Fyfe and put on that level of size, but Fyfe was very similar to Taylor in u18 and his first couple years in the system as a lead up half forward. My memory is that he rarely played as a midfielder in u18 (might be wrong, but I really liked him in u18s). I don’t think anyone could have predicted that Fyfe was capable of putting on such size, the guy is an actual beast (considering he was a twig). He also picked up the midfield craft incredibly well. I have no idea if Taylor can add both size and midfield craft to his game, but they were equally elite overhead in their junior days.

3EBBC729-02CE-41B8-820A-43D282C49DE2.jpeg

I think the most impressive thing we saw this year from him was the willingness to back himself in and drag the team across the line to win the game off his own boot, which he very nearly did I think it was against GWS in a close game.

It's just refreshing to see a young kid with confidence to say "This is mine, I'll take it and I'll slot it through" and he succeeds.

He's going to be an electric forward I think, he has all the tools for it, him and Stephenson or him and Zurhaar or him and Garner, that's some really exciting forward types right there.

Reckon his second half against St Kilda was the most impressive, the way he set up scoring opportunities through winning contested ball and poised disposal. Has the potential to go into the midfield once he builds size and endurance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Someone would need to explain the Fyfe comparision to me. He's nowhere near Fyfe's size and I haven't seen his aerial game or ground game being like Fyfe's.
Someone, (Pykie maybe?) posted a photo of Fyfe at the same age and maybe put up some stats with it. They did look very similar physically.

He is an inch shorter maybe and alot lighter but does have a similar wide frame and his attack on the ball and ability to create and win a contest stood out, especially in the ST Kilda game in r1.

I don’t necessarily agree that he can go full midfielder like Fyfe and put on that level of size, but Fyfe was very similar to Taylor in u18 and his first couple years in the system as a lead up half forward. My memory is that he rarely played as a midfielder in u18 (might be wrong, but I really liked him in u18s). I don’t think anyone could have predicted that Fyfe was capable of putting on such size, the guy is an actual beast (considering he was a twig). He also picked up the midfield craft incredibly well. I have no idea if Taylor can add both size and midfield craft to his game, but they were equally elite overhead in their junior days.

View attachment 1011566
He actually looks a bit more solid than Taylor there.

He had a similar build at the same age, played a smilar role in u/18's.

You didn't see Curtis take more than a few contested marks, a few hangers etc? Curtis is fairly ridiculous overhead for his current body size, he's going to be amazing overhead in 4-5 years.

Fyfe is a genetic freak though, chances are Taylor only gets moderately bigger rather than putting on 20+ kg's of lean muscle like Fyfe did.

I think Taylor is as good as Fyfe was on the ground. I.e pretty damn great for a medium forward.

I think Taylor is going to be the best out of all of Thomas, Zurhaar etc as a half forward.

You didn't see Curtis take more than a few contested marks, a few hangers etc? Curtis is fairly ridiculous overhead for his current body size, he's going to be amazing overhead in 4-5 years.

Fyfe is a genetic freak though, chances are Taylor only gets moderately bigger rather than putting on 20+ kg's of lean muscle like Fyfe did.

I think Taylor is as good as Fyfe was on the ground. I.e pretty damn great for a medium forward.

I think Taylor is going to be the best out of all of Thomas, Zurhaar etc as a half forward.
Yeah I did see Curtis' hangers. But I haven't seen Fyfe take marks like that. I may be wrong (don't watch Freo much) but Fyfe's aerial and ground games seem based on brute strength. I just don't see Curtis' game being the same.

Needs to put on some size otherwise great player.
Same with a lot of our developing young players I guess.

I watched Taylor doing drils at training last week, I reckon he's dropped 4 or 5 kg's.
His arms have no definition at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His early highlights reel is nice, but he's still just a 10 disposal player.

He needs to go up another gear now.
i agree but feel like the timing of his injury was poor. he had a great start to 2020 and am happy to give him a little extra time to build those numbers. He has only player 11 games.

His early highlights reel is nice, but he's still just a 10 disposal player.

He needs to go up another gear now.

Without going full Confucius, they'll turn.

Kayne Turner was all the rage early on before some supporters cottoned on that his numbers weren't going magically going up. Suddenly those handful of very visible pressure acts didn't provide the sugar hit for them anymore.

If Taylor or Thomas don't increase their production (you've posted about this a bit) I expect they'll be in the gun soon enough when 2-3 goals every 2-3 games with some nice marks thrown in don't sate the collective appetites.

Without going full Confucius, they'll turn.

Kayne Turner was all the rage early on before some supporters cottoned on that his numbers weren't going magically going up. Suddenly those handful of very visible pressure acts didn't provide the sugar hit for them anymore.

If Taylor or Thomas don't increase their production (you've posted about this a bit) I expect they'll be in the gun soon enough when 2-3 goals every 2-3 games with some nice marks thrown in don't sate the collective appetites.

I'm not even slightly claiming that Curtis won't attain top shelf status as a footballer, but folks are carrying on as if it has arrived or that it is automatically pre-ordained, but that's just not the case right now.

As of 2020, he's a tease.

Example: Davies-Uniake will be a gun, Curtis Taylor is still no certainty.

I'm not even slightly claiming that Curtis won't attain top shelf status as a footballer, but folks are carrying on as if it has arrived or that it is automatically pre-ordained, but that's just not the case right now.

As of 2020, he's a tease.

Example: Davies-Uniake will be a gun, Curtis Taylor is still no certainty.

Same. He has clear kick/mark grade talent.

But taking that show from the Brad Pearce outside courts to Nathan Fyfe arena is one giant leap.

Same. He has clear kick/mark grade talent.

But taking that show from the Brad Pearce outside courts to Nathan Fyfe arena is one giant leap.

Some folks are just straight out OTT with Curtis as of right now, and the same goes for Kyron Hayden.

I'm not writing either kid off, but I'm not seing what all the gush is about either.

As far as I'm concerned they're both unlikely to play round 1 if we have a full list. THAT'S where they are right now.

Some folks are just straight out OTT with Curtis as of right now, and the same goes for Kyron Hayden.

I'm not writing either kid off, but I'm not seing what all the gush is about either.

As far as I'm concerned they're both unlikely to play round 1 if we have a full list. THAT'S where they are right now.

As I wrote somewhere recently - very hard to know the best 22 for found 1 - you could easily be correct that neither play - of play

Both in great Nick snd training so time will tell but with so much competition for spots snd new leadership - who knows.

Both great to have on the list with plenty to offer so fingers crossed they can step up this year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back