Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

At his best still scrapes in to best 22 but so inconsistent.

Some of his brain fades almost lost us the game today, real disappointing game.

I suspect he’s lost the fire but it manifests as a kind of ill-discipline or almost insubordination on field. Kind of like the kid who acts out because he’s frustrated or dgaf anymore. Still chases hard and his second/third efforts are evident but unfortunately it stands out less now that more of the team are consistently doing it.

Needs to do some soul searching.

I dont pay much attention to his off the ball stuff normally but it really stood out yesterday, was he more petulant than normal, or is that his standard attitude?
He just seemed the most likely guy all game to give away a stupid free kick or berate a teammate if they missed a shot at goal/sprayed a kick inside 50m.

When he isn't physically right is when he gets this way. Has just come off a hamstring so was late, using it badly, and just off the pace.
Wright was equally as bad off the injury, just didn't have the crap off the ball stuff Dev does.

He has lost a yard of pace and it shows. He will get back to his best and he is still one of our best pressure players but the white line fever stuff is exacerbated when he isn't giving us what we need the other way.

Will be better for the run.

When he isn't physically right is when he gets this way. Has just come off a hamstring so was late, using it badly, and just off the pace.
Wright was equally as bad off the injury, just didn't have the crap off the ball stuff Dev does.

He has lost a yard of pace and it shows. He will get back to his best and he is still one of our best pressure players but the white line fever stuff is exacerbated when he isn't giving us what we need the other way.

Will be better for the run.
Yep, this. When he came back from his knee reconstruction he was similar, and slow and I wondered if his career was done. Got a good preseason under his belt though and he was in great form, was like having BnF Dev back. Now we’re back to campaignery Dev fresh off an injury. But I’ve seen it before now so it doesn’t bother me like it did the last time. He’ll get it together.

Yep, this. When he came back from his knee reconstruction he was similar, and slow and I wondered if his career was done. Got a good preseason under his belt though and he was in great form, was like having BnF Dev back. Now we’re back to campaignery Dev fresh off an injury. But I’ve seen it before now so it doesn’t bother me like it did the last time. He’ll get it together.

It does also show that his physical ability is the key to his game.
He won't last when that goes so that should be taken into account when making decisions on him.
Few years away on that but after the discussions on Walla this is the same thing but with more evidence to the fact.

He's weirdly classified as a medium forward

I wonder if that affects the ratings, like if a small forward is expected to tackle more than a medium forward etc.

I wonder if that affects the ratings, like if a small forward is expected to tackle more than a medium forward etc.

Yes, the ratings are compared against those regarded as playing the same position, so a medium forward would (at a guess) take more marks and make less tackles than a small forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought his game wasn't bad but just his stupid free kicks he gives away, or costing us a 50.

Although his last set shot attempt was pretty pathetic. Can't even make the distance from 40m. Yikes.

the dumb **** should never say another word to anyone other than a team-mate ever again
End of the day he cost us another cheap goal. He's gotta get it out of his game.
what did he say?

I’m not condoning talking back to an umpire, i am just curious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back