Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Closest he's got to kicking 50 goals a season was last year (49), while other years he wasn't close. So i'm not expecting a 50 goal season but if he can manage 2goals/game & 15-18 disposals I think it would be optimum use of his skills for the team. I'm hopeful with our added depth we can also manage the amount of games he plays, so he's fresher for the final 1/3rd of the year. Age wise he's at his peak so hopefully we see his best year yet!

Closest he's got to kicking 50 goals a season was last year (49), while other years he wasn't close. So i'm not expecting a 50 goal season but if he can manage 2goals/game & 15-18 disposals I think it would be optimum use of his skills for the team. I'm hopeful with our added depth we can also manage the amount of games he plays, so he's fresher for the final 1/3rd of the year. Age wise he's at his peak so hopefully we see his best year yet!
44 goals and 18 touches gets him AA again and we become a lot more deadly with more avenues to goal

Our midfield could be Brisbane Lions circa 01-03 and it won't matter if Heeney's goal accuracy is at 46%
2022: 49.28 at 63.63%
2023: 30.19 at 61.22%

Not accounting for the sheer volume of out on the fulls it felt like this year

2022: 49.28 at 63.63%
2023: 30.19 at 61.22%

Not accounting for the sheer volume of out on the fulls it felt like this year
He was at 46% this year. This site accounts for all shots not just goals and behinds.

Let's be honest the guy is a very very good player, enjoy watching him.

But he is what he is at this point. He won't ever be the most consistent, he won't win the skilton, he probably doesn't make all australian again.

That's ok too.

But he may only play 50-100 more games, I enjoy watching him play even though a part of me is waiting for him to rip the comp apart every week.

That's not to say he wasn't down this year and can't lift a bit - at least kick straight .

If you are waiting for the massive next step I think you end up disappointed.

But he is what he is at this point. He won't ever be the most consistent, he won't win the skilton, he probably doesn't make all australian again.

That's ok too.

But he may only play 50-100 more games, I enjoy watching him play even though a part of me is waiting for him to rip the comp apart every week.

That's not to say he wasn't down this year and can't lift a bit - at least kick straight .

Not expecting a massive next step what i do expect is for him not to be stuck at 5 disposals for 2 quarters of football.

His quiet games were far to common this season.

Have to say that Isaac gave it his all in th e second half this year. He threw his body on the line, was a beast at contested footy and did the hard yards with I think what was a pretty banged up body. Super impressed with this attitude as he’s known for the speccy but now for the hard ball gets as well. Hope his body is 100% next year.

That's ok too.

If he wants to play in a premiership he needs to take a massive next step. Can’t afford to sit back and wait for others to carry him over the line.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he wants to play in a premiership he needs to take a massive next step. Can’t afford to sit back and wait for others to carry him over the line.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He isn't getting any better than he is now (he is a fine player) history suggests he is past the halfway point of his career

Am hearing he’s fully fit, no niggles and fired up this year and wants to make a massive impact. More leadership aspirations are great signs too.

As Heeney is our best player, we need him at his best to win a flag - good signs

Am hearing he’s fully fit, no niggles and fired up this year and wants to make a massive impact. More leadership aspirations are great signs too.

As Heeney is our best player, we need him at his best to win a flag - good signs

Heeney isn't our best player. He is no where near consistent enough to be considered our best player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeney isn't our best player. He is no where near consistent enough to be considered our best player.
Amazing year given the injuries he carried, he’s now all clear so hope for the consistency. His finish to the year was full of effort - all heart. He and Paps looked dynamic when rotated through midfield. Now that our midfield is stacked and serviced by a top ruck he won’t have to cover multiple roles.

Aside from Gulden who else can win a game on his back ?

Who is the best overhead mark ?
Who regularly beats their one on one opponent ?
Who’s currently the most dangerous when forward ?

I too wish he was more consistent but think that’s a function of injuries.

I think the concept of 'best player' is not a fixed one and is constantly evolving, but to answer your question we literally have about a dozen other players who have won games on their back.

Could've probably said this every year of the last 5, but this is put up, or shut up time for Heeney.

Gone are the years of claiming potential and being lenient on him. It's time.

Personally, I think he's got the right mix of players around him to really rip it up this year. He wants the spotlight, time to shine!

Could've probably said this every year of the last 5, but this is put up, or shut up time for Heeney.

Gone are the years of claiming potential and being lenient on him. It's time.

Personally, I think he's got the right mix of players around him to really rip it up this year. He wants the spotlight, time to shine!
What about 2022 all-Australian ?

Will he be a consistent top 5 player in the AFL - think we know the answer to that. Will he be a top 3 (and imo best) player for the swans, of course he is.

So why does he seem to be compared to a ridiculous benchmark ?

If it’s put up or shut up time, does that apply to the rest of the group ? Can name plenty in that boat if compared against heeney.

Agree the set up this year gives him a great opportunity.

Leave him forward, such a difficult match up.

With the addition of Adams Jordan and the potential improvement of Campbell, Sheldrick etc we potentially don't need to play him up the ground.

On his day a match winner, just need him to do it more often.

Amazing year given the injuries he carried, he’s now all clear so hope for the consistency. His finish to the year was full of effort - all heart. He and Paps looked dynamic when rotated through midfield. Now that our midfield is stacked and serviced by a top ruck he won’t have to cover multiple roles.

Who is the best overhead mark ?
Who regularly beats their one on one opponent ?
Who’s currently the most dangerous when forward ?

I too wish he was more consistent but think that’s a function of injuries.

I must ask tho during 2023 if injuries were impacting his consistency why did we play him?

Certain players can carry and play through at a reasonable level Heeney cannot if it results in 5 disposals in a half of football whats the gain?

That was some sort of game last night. The way he was moving through stoppages in particular was just so clean and powerful. Finally fully fit?
Longmire was quite candid in his comments around Heeney in the presser. Basically saying how much injuries/niggles impact on his performance levels.

Lets hope for an injury free year please - his best is outrageously good, but we are yet to see it on a super consistent basis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back