Player Watch #7: Jack Viney (VC) – 200th this weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

Family friend sees him regularly. Says he will win a Brownlow. Compared his off-field work to Judd.

Are you suggesting Oscar will end up being a father/son recruit for Melbourne instead of Carlton or West Coast?

I would be very surprised if Viney ever wins a Brownlow. The way the rules are now and the way he plays, he'll have 2-3 trips to the judiciary per season to explain various tackles, bumps, clobberings, etc.

Are you suggesting Oscar will end up being a father/son recruit for Melbourne instead of Carlton or West Coast?

I would be very surprised if Viney ever wins a Brownlow. The way the rules are now and the way he plays, he'll have 2-3 trips to the judiciary per season to explain various tackles, bumps, clobberings, etc.
I don't think so. For all his aggression he's a very clean player at the end of the day. Outside the Lynch incident it's not like he's had anything to answer for and now that he's a leader at the club he'll know that he has the responsibility to make sure he plays each week.

I doubt it. He had a FA after the Steele tackle Saturday and said postmatch that he thought it was a good tackle but obviously not and he would work to clean up his technique.

He's only been to the tribunal once and that was thrown out on appeal.

We shall see. I think even honest players who play hard are going to have the odd judicial appearance nowadays.

Is coming along nicely.

I think he could make it into top 15-25 players, don't think he quite has the x-factor to go beyond that but that is fine - Melbourne has Petracca and Hogan for that.

I don't see how Striker475's mate being friends with Viney means he's any more qualified to suggest whether he'll win a Brownlow than anyone else. Glad to hear he's a ripping bloke, but he'll win one thanks to what he does on the field.

Most impressive part of Saturday was his post-match interview. He's stopped umming and ahhing when he talks. Has clearly had media training.

I don't see how Striker475's mate being friends with Viney means he's any more qualified to suggest whether he'll win a Brownlow than anyone else.
Well... he possibly isn't more qualified as such.

But since the comment was put out there as nothing more or less than a comment or opinion, I'm currently confused as to your problem. But it is good for you to point out that what anyone does on the field could be critical to their Brownlow prospects. This is important information so I might write it down.

Family friend sees him regularly. Says he will win a Brownlow. Compared his off-field work to Judd.
So he's got a part time job as an "environmental ambassador" for a company run by our club's president..?

Unbelievable game by Jack on Saturday. He looks to have added a yard of pace over the summer - no doubt helped by not carrying a broken leg like last year. He broke away from packs with explosive pace on several occasions, and matched Shiel for pace too at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unbelievable game by Jack on Saturday. He looks to have added a yard of pace over the summer - no doubt helped by not carrying a broken leg like last year. He broke away from packs with explosive pace on several occasions, and matched Shiel for pace too at times.
Agree completely.
He just wills himself to be where the action is. Contest after contest.
Only has one pace - flat out!

There was a slow motion shot of Kent celebrating after snapping that goal I think in the 3rd quarter I saw on the replay. Viney was walking slowly towards him and gave it 3 or four claps and then headed off back to the centre square. The look in his eyes was so freakishly determined that it was like he was a caricature of himself. I think it's the hairdo and those sorta pointy eyes.

But the way he sorta gave it a few claps and then on with the job was so 'well done forwards, finished off well. Now, enough of this, back to the centre to rip in.'

I may be reading into a slow motion look in one of our player's eyes, but that's what it said to me.

Now that I think of it though, I've been watching Hogan's reactions to various things. When he sheparded through that AVB goal, he was super pumped. His interview after the game too. Seems genuinely excited about sticking around, getting stuck in, and reaping rewards.

There was a slow motion shot of Kent celebrating after snapping that goal I think in the 3rd quarter I saw on the replay. Viney was walking slowly towards him and gave it 3 or four claps and then headed off back to the centre square. The look in his eyes was so freakishly determined that it was like he was a caricature of himself. I think it's the hairdo and those sorta pointy eyes.

But the way he sorta gave it a few claps and then on with the job was so 'well done forwards, finished off well. Now, enough of this, back to the centre to rip in.'

I may be reading into a slow motion look in one of our player's eyes, but that's what it said to me.

Now that I think of it though, I've been watching Hogan's reactions to various things. When he sheparded through that AVB goal, he was super pumped. His interview after the game too. Seems genuinely excited about sticking around, getting stuck in, and reaping rewards.
And wins like this where Hoges would have felt responsible for following his big last quarter are exactly what we need.
I agree, he shows genuine excitement/emotion and looks like he loves being in this side.

Not bad for a 176cm (?) lad. How do you know this?

Jack Watts interview on the rush hour he mentioned it then they laughed about how Gawny came up to JB at the footy show after party with a smoke in his beard saying it would get him to the top lol

With slanger or without?

After seeing the quarter squat 180kg box squats have to ask :$
Not sure. I can only assume it was without. Apparently he's the strongest guy at the club. I remember hearing years ago Neitz could do 155kg & Schwarz could only do 110kg.

37 disposals, including a club record 23 contested possessions and 9 tackles. Those numbers are elite, what a fantastic start to his year. He's clearly gone up a level and is forming a great partnership with Gawny.
He seems a little quicker and his strength and balance over the ball is first rate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back