Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

If we look at the set up Richmond won a premiership with he could easily play the role Caddy did. Love to see us go with Brown, Zeibs and Wood as the talls up forward next year.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/13/has-ziebell-lived-up-to-his-potential/

Has Ziebell lived up to his potential?

Former Herald Sun Chief Football Writer Mike Sheahan has questioned whether North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell has performed to the level some expected him to reach throughout his nine-year career.

After being selected with the ninth overall pick in the 2008 draft, Ziebell has cemented himself as one of the league’s most aggressive interior players. The 26-year-old averaged a career-high 11.2 contested possessions this season, including recording 15 or more five times.

Despite his inside work, Sheahan isn’t sold on Ziebell’s credentials, believing he should be at a greater stage in his development.

“Maybe Ziebell isn’t as good as we expected him to be,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“He was equal sixth in the best and fairest in almost the worst performed team in the competition. He has to be better than that.

“His attitude is perfect, I have no query on that, but he isn’t polished enough for mine. As keen as he is to fill the role that he has got, I just wonder if he is as good as we thought he would be.”

Three-time premiership player Tim Watson conceded Ziebell lacks in some areas of the game, but is of the notion his good work isn’t conducive to positive acknowledgements.

“The other great midfielders that we have in the competition have a lot more balance in their play because they can go inside and outside,” he said.

“Ziebell doesn’t have the leg speed to be that damaging player on the outside. All his best work is done on the inside and some of it goes unnoticed because it is a lot of strength and bullocking type work.”

Ziebell averaged 22.2 disposals, 390.4 metres gained and 5.8 tackles in 2017.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/13/has-ziebell-lived-up-to-his-potential/

Has Ziebell lived up to his potential?

Former Herald Sun Chief Football Writer Mike Sheahan has questioned whether North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell has performed to the level some expected him to reach throughout his nine-year career.

After being selected with the ninth overall pick in the 2008 draft, Ziebell has cemented himself as one of the league’s most aggressive interior players. The 26-year-old averaged a career-high 11.2 contested possessions this season, including recording 15 or more five times.

Despite his inside work, Sheahan isn’t sold on Ziebell’s credentials, believing he should be at a greater stage in his development.

“Maybe Ziebell isn’t as good as we expected him to be,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“He was equal sixth in the best and fairest in almost the worst performed team in the competition. He has to be better than that.

“His attitude is perfect, I have no query on that, but he isn’t polished enough for mine. As keen as he is to fill the role that he has got, I just wonder if he is as good as we thought he would be.”

Three-time premiership player Tim Watson conceded Ziebell lacks in some areas of the game, but is of the notion his good work isn’t conducive to positive acknowledgements.

“The other great midfielders that we have in the competition have a lot more balance in their play because they can go inside and outside,” he said.

“Ziebell doesn’t have the leg speed to be that damaging player on the outside. All his best work is done on the inside and some of it goes unnoticed because it is a lot of strength and bullocking type work.”

Ziebell averaged 22.2 disposals, 390.4 metres gained and 5.8 tackles in 2017.

Column A, column B.

Extenuating circumstances for his overall results in 2017.

However one-eyed glasses off, he hasn't hit the consistent heights over his career thus far I'd have expected based on his pre-draft rep and preseason debut in '09. That is far from being a failure however and there's still time for it all to come together.

Column A, column B.

Extenuating circumstances for his overall results in 2017.

However one-eyed glasses off, he hasn't hit the consistent heights over his career thus far I'd have expected based on his pre-draft rep and preseason debut in '09. That is far from being a failure however and there's still time for it all to come together.

There's also the overlooked point that Ziebell's natural instincts have been severely curbed by rule interpretation more than any other player in the last 10 years.

I'm spewing I didn't have the time to ring in and rip in to Sheahan. He's normally a pretty good judge, but he hasn't done his homework on JZ very well.

There's also the overlooked point that Ziebell's natural instincts have been severely curbed by rule interpretation more than any other player in the last 10 years.

I'm spewing I didn't have the time to ring in and rip in to Sheahan. He's normally a pretty good judge, but he hasn't done his homework on JZ very well.

No doubt. Bit like constant fiddle-farting with HTB penalised Archer for a while for being first to the ball.

It's just a pity Jack hasn't been able to enjoy the rule interpretation immunity granted by being associated with a cause, a bald umpire lovechild or captain of a team the league is desperate to gift a flag.

He had to be told by Julian DeStoop that he was carrying a lot of injuries this year. He sounded surprised to hear it.

I love JZ, not going to lie though, I’m sick of him carrying injuries. Too tough for his own good.

He had to be told by Julian DeStoop that he was carrying a lot of injuries this year. He sounded surprised to hear it.

I love JZ, not going to lie though, I’m sick of him carrying injuries. Too tough for his own good.

If Jack was allowed to play to his natural instincts the entire opposition midfield would be in hospital by half time and North would regularly romp away to 20 goal wins.

JZ is the OH&S red light of the AFL.

Poor bloke was born 15 years too late

Blame the "not in this day & age" posse, who frame political correctness as accepted fact.

They have stuffed up virtually everything.

27 before the start of next season. Not a single Syd, has never been anywhere near AA squad contention let alone AA team selection and would struggle to be included in the top 75-100 players in the league. I think it's reasonable to have wanted and expected more from a performance point of view. On performance alone I think it's fair to feel that he has been somewhat disappointing. I think there have been failure in both coaching and from Jack's significant personal playing deficiencies to blame for this. I still have hope that if he plays out the rest of his career in the forward line that this can be improved and his strengths can be best utilised.

However, it's impossible not to consider the effect that injuries and his failing body has has on his career. Particularly those broken legs in a crucial phase of his development. It's probably not popular but I'm of the opinion that over the journey he's crossed the line from courageous to reckless when playing through injury. While it is easy admire that attitude, at times it's still foolish.

I admit too that it's not just performances that should be considered when evaluating his career thus far. He's represented North Melbourne off the field impeccably and his attitude and courage is everything that we want from a North player, moreso from a skipper. If nothing else at the end of his career he will have significantly contributed to the North Melbourne culture. Even if his performances don't improve, that may be enough.

I have to say though, blaming changes in rules and their interpretation for their effect on Jack is categorically absolutely nonsense. It's genuine hogwash. Everyone has to adapt to this, not just Jack. If he adapts poorly then he has to take responsibility for that, it can't and shouldn't be used as an excuse.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

27 before the start of next season. Not a single Syd and has never been anywhere near AA squad contention let alone AA team selection. I think it's reasonable to have wanted and expected more from a performance point of view. On performance alone I think it's fair to feel that he has been somewhat disappointing. I think there have been failure in both coaching and from Jack's significant personal playing deficiencies to blame for this. I still have hope that if he plays out the rest of his career in the forward line that this can be improved and his strengths can be best utilised.

However, it's impossible not to consider the effect that injuries and his failing body has has on his career. Particularly those broken legs in a crucial phase of his development. It's probably not popular but I'm of the opinion that over the journey he's crossed the line from courageous to reckless when playing through injury. While it is easy admire that attitude, at times it's still foolish.

I admit too that it's not just performances that should be considered when evaluating his career thus far. He's represented North Melbourne off the field impeccably and his attitude and courage is everything that we want from a North player, moreso from a skipper. If nothing else at the end of his career he will have significantly contributed to the North Melbourne culture. Even if his performances don't improve, that may be enough.

I have to say though, blaming changes in rules and their interpretation for their effect on Jack is categorically absolutely nonsense. It's genuine hogwash. Everyone has to adapt to this, not just Jack. If he adapts poorly then he has to take responsibility for that, it can't and shouldn't be used as an excuse.

Agree with all of that except the last paragraph. There is some responsibility on him true but he entered the system with certain strengths that were blunted by rule changes.

Sinking the boots into North is the flavour of the month.

I think it is about time to be honest, a lot of players and especially the coach have been given a free pass in terms of media criticism. We are s**t for a reason and it is important to put the spotlight on why. However, Sheahan put in a minimal effort, looking at some stats without any context.

I think if Ziebell made better decisions in the middle and looked to hit up a team mate and then put a block on for them he would have been better for us in the middle.

I think the only real criticism he deserves is the amount of chaos ball he launches out of the middle, he has had a total of 9 goal assists from 76 inside 50s, at less than 12% strike rate as a football commentator you would be negligent in your profession for not asking the coach if he coached/directed Ziebell to hack it out of the middle as much as he does and if not then why is it tolerated when easy defensive rebounds are a major source for scoring.

I think it is about time to be honest, a lot of players and especially the coach have been given a free pass in terms of media criticism. We are s**t for a reason and it is important to put the spotlight on why. However, Sheahan put in a minimal effort, looking at some stats without any context.

I think if Ziebell made better decisions in the middle and looked to hit up a team mate and then put a block on for them he would have been better for us in the middle.

I think the only real criticism he deserves is the amount of chaos ball he launches out of the middle, he has had a total of 9 goal assists from 76 inside 50s, at less than 12% strike rate as a football commentator you would be negligent in your profession for not asking the coach if he coached/directed Ziebell to hack it out of the middle as much as he does and if not then why is it tolerated when easy defensive rebounds are a major source for scoring.
Most journos seem to be putting in minimal effort. Our players shouldn't be devoid of critisism, but it has to be more measured than singling out a full seasons stats then drawing the bow.

On the flip side, the lack of positive articles in turn produces this angst. The lack of respect shown to Spitta's career by the media being a perfect example of this.

Love Jack but hard to argue too much with Sheehan's comments. Jack looked to be a potential elite A grader but hasn't quite delivered to that level. That doesn't make him a bad player but just another who has not (yet) reached the level of expectation many had. Maybe the expectation was unreasonable.

Ziebell: I think we are very content and excited about the boys in our leadership group. There are plenty of young boys with leadership qualities too.

Ziebell: I've learnt a lot as a leader in the last 18 months. The start of last season was definitely a challenge, but the guys had really good resolve and that made my job easier.

Ziebell: If we are able to get our full team together and avoid injuries I think we will be a hard team to beat.

Jack looks very trim to me. You'd think if he was going to play more forwardline he'd be stacking on a few kegs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back