AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Well you can’t complain about the result lol
Hank will complain that if Shiel had a game of 35 disposals and 6.1 that he should have kicked 7.

Often underrated and much maligned - if Dylan can get his foot right his burst speed and ability to get through traffic could become a valuable asset not just out of the middle but up forward as well.
The beauty with Shiel in 2024 is we are not relying on him to be a match winner as we bat so deep in the midfield- so anything he does bring is a bonus/cherry on top. He could rotate with Gresham in a mid/forward type role

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Often underrated and much maligned - if Dylan can get his foot right his burst speed and ability to get through traffic could become a valuable asset not just out of the middle but up forward as well.
The beauty with Shiel in 2024 is we are not relying on him to be a match winner as we bat so deep in the midfield- so anything he does bring is a bonus/cherry on top. He could rotate with Gresham in a mid/forward type role

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mirrors my thoughts about him. Brings a point of difference and as a burst player in the middle can break play open for us. The key is that I think he needs to lower his own expectations and be able to reinvent himself as a role player with defensive responsibilities. We need small forwards who can read the play but also apply pressure to deny easy rebounds. He could be that player around high half forward but only if he commits to the defensive aspects. Goals would be a bonus but he is capable of this also.

Last edited:
Mirror my thoughts about him. Brings a point of difference and as a burst player in the middle can break play open for us. The key is that I think he needs to lower his own expectations and be able to reinvent himself as a role player with defensive responsibilities. We need small forwards who can read the play but also apply pressure to deny easy rebounds. He could be that player around high half forward but only if he commits to the defensive aspects. Goals would be a bonus but he is capable of this also.
I agree and I think he was actually doing that early last season before the injuries started. He was playing more forward time in the first 5 or 6 rounds and his pressure was decent. :)

Mirror my thoughts about him. Brings a point of difference and as a burst player in the middle can break play open for us. The key is that I think he needs to lower his own expectations and be able to reinvent himself as a role player with defensive responsibilities. We need small forwards who can read the play but also apply pressure to deny easy rebounds. He could be that player around high half forward but only if he commits to the defensive aspects. Goals would be a bonus but he is capable of this also.

Playing forward could also allow us to put him on ball in the last 5 or so minutes of quarters which could be a real weapon if he's a bit fresher.

Playing forward could also allow us to put him on ball in the last 5 or so minutes of quarters which could be a real weapon if he's a bit fresher.
Great point. That’s really smart use of his talents. Release him on rotation in red time as a set strategy.

Luxury having a bloke who’s a genuine midfielder with a turn of speed that can play a cameo role in there as needed.
That luxury becomes a reality if Tsatas, Hobbs, Durham, Caldwell, Setterfield and Perkins all elevate their midfield craft to the degree that it’s impossible to also have Shiel’s usual midfield minutes. That’s a lot of players and I don’t discount the possibility of Martin, Stringer, and Gresham going through there too. The reality is that Shiel has to change his role if he wants a place on the field. That’s 12 players (incl. Merrett and Parish) who could be in the guts. Obviously you have the wings as well where Duursma, Heppell, Cox (and apparently Kelly 🙄) are in the mix too. It’ll be fascinating to see how the coaches balance it because, for mine, they are all best 22 players (Tsatas, Cox and Duursma perhaps with a bit to prove beforehand).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t wait when Dylan kicks a a goal so hard it will stick in Yodelinghanks but cheeks. 🥰
il_fullxfull.1920536973_d3f5.jpg

Love to see this guy get a decent run at it and have a strong second half to the season. Hopefully he can compliment our deeper midfield nicely.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Foot injuries also affect running loads, and while Shiel utilised the weight-bearing AlterG treadmill, he has missed a chunk of full pre-season training in an attempt to not overload the area.

"[I've been] working on the intrinsic muscles of the foot to make sure certain parts of the foot aren't being exposed," Shiel said.

"I've been doing a mountain of work that doesn't get me too much credibility in the gym with how much weight I've been shifting [but] it's important work that I'm doing.

"You can't run on your hands I've discovered, so you can't avoid the feet. They're a delicate part of the body, and you need to be really listening to the experts on how to come back.

"Managing how often you can train per week, make sure you have the right footwear in place, making sure you're not walking your dog for two hours on your day off is pretty helpful as well. But I've been progressing really well, had no setbacks during the recovery time."

1*9AiYcxlOtgTlCe6Aa0eAiQ.gif

I'm picturing Luke Parker mocking the mountain of work Shiel is doing in the gym.

Reintegrating into main training in the coming weeks New
Dylan Shiel is another Bomber making steady progress, looking to reintegrate into full training in the coming weeks.

Dislocated finger, required stitches New
Wonder if Dylan is a chance to come straight in for the Hawks game now Parish is out...Could be handy off the bench or even as SUB...
Personally I think its no. Has only been in full training for 2 weeks. Hobbs would be more likely or they play Davey and more Caldwell to more midfield time.

Wonder if Dylan is a chance to come straight in for the Hawks game now Parish is out...Could be handy off the bench or even as SUB...
Has a history of really poor performances when brought in underdone. Needs a few weeks in the VFL at least

Remove this Banner Ad

Back