AFL Autopsy RND 9: Chewed up by the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the replay and what occurs to me is how far the umpiring pendulum has swung in terms of leniency. Apart from dangerous tackles, players can get away with a lot in 2023, particularly marking contest blocks and light pushing in the back, as well as holding onto the ball longer. The team has become pretty good at tackling below the neck, but I actually think we can push the line a bit more in marking contests - blocks and pushes are more often than not let go, relative to previous years. There’s also room to hold the ball rather than rushing a handpass in extreme congestion.

Watching the replay and what occurs to me is how far the umpiring pendulum has swung in terms of leniency. Apart from dangerous tackles, players can get away with a lot in 2023, particularly marking contest blocks and light pushing in the back, as well as holding onto the ball longer. The team has become pretty good at tackling below the neck, but I actually think we can push the line a bit more in marking contests - blocks and pushes are more often than not let go, relative to previous years. There’s also room to hold the ball rather than rushing a handpass in extreme congestion.
Light pushing in the back has been allowed more on two fronts. Hands in the back was thrown out in 18 or 19 and the umpires have been told to rule that you can put your hands up and have contact to the back to protect the drop zone if the player in front is pushing back into the drop zone. has created a slight grey area as far as did he push the player out or was the player coming back into the contact.

Light pushing in the back has been allowed more on two fronts. Hands in the back was thrown out in 18 or 19 and the umpires have been told to rule that you can put your hands up and have contact to the back to protect the drop zone if the player in front is pushing back into the drop zone. has created a slight grey area as far as did he push the player out or was the player coming back into the contact.

No doubt but some of the examples of pushing (in non EFC games) this year have been relatively outrageous. A definite adjustment in the allowances, would you agree? I think we can become slightly cleverer based on 2023 interpretations.

No doubt but some the examples of pushing (in non EFC games) this year have been relatively outrageous. A definite adjustment in the allowances, would you agree? I think we can become slightly cleverer based on 2023 interpretations.
Clever and Essendon players can get you in trouble if used in the same sentence :)

Just logged on to join in the Weidemann bashing but apparently there is very little. He was atrocious. The man has besser blocks for hands. Gets pushed out of the way like he's got the frame of Cox. 1 pressure act, 1 mark in a game of footy as the key target. the guy is 26 and plays like a scared 18 yr old. Melbourne fans aren't crying themselves to sleep "losing" this bloke.

Just logged on to join in the Weidemann bashing but apparently there is very little. He was atrocious. The man has besser blocks for hands. Gets pushed out of the way like he's got the frame of Cox. 1 pressure act, 1 mark in a game of footy as the key target. the guy is 26 and plays like a scared 18 yr old. Melbourne fans aren't crying themselves to sleep "losing" this bloke.
Totally agree. Will play the one gun game that will win him three. Probably last 3-4 years on the list doing this.

was only ever a stop gap.
Jones' injuries don't help us either.

When Bryan is ready, i'd start dropping Draper forward for the bulk of our games

Yes but we did not get him to be the number 1 KPF. We actually got him to be the third KPF behind Jones and Wright who can maybe play some ruck. Everyone knows what he is now. He is the only one left standing so he is hardly going to shoot the lights out as the lone KPF. What he can be is an okay forward if he has someone else who can take the number 1 role . In an ideal world he is playing along side Wright and it is a different scenario. His flaws do not get exposed as much. He was a first round pick but people need to get their heads around the fact that we got him very cheap as KP depth. Obviously they are hoping he can find another level and improve but right now he is doing what we got him for. Holding the KP spot due to injuries / form of the others.
If you thought we where getting him as the great hope of the forward line then you really did not read the play.

His apparent lack of competitiveness is entwined with a lack of confidence I reckon. He was absolutely monstered by Andrews. To the point where he looked from the outside that he was looking for a hole to crawl into.

Does this look different if Andrews has his hands full with Wright, Jones is making long leads that stretch the defense and Weid is running Lester around? I reckon it does.

Bottom line - our injuries have jammed us, and Weid is a trade for pick 70 or whatever it was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think what's screamed out to me most from what i saw was that we're too
Yes but we did not get him to be the number 1 KPF. We actually got him to be the third KPF behind Jones and Wright who can maybe play some ruck. Everyone knows what he is now. He is the only one left standing so he is hardly going to shoot the lights out as the lone KPF. What he can be is an okay forward if he has someone else who can take the number 1 role . In an ideal world he is playing along side Wright and it is a different scenario. His flaws do not get exposed as much. He was a first round pick but people need to get their heads around the fact that we got him very cheap as KP depth. Obviously they are hoping he can find another level and improve but right now he is doing what we got him for. Holding the KP spot due to injuries / form of the others.
If you thought we where getting him as the great hope of the forward line then you really did not read the play.
spot on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back