AFL Toast RND 1: Bombers 1 Dawkes 0

Remove this Banner Ad

Great game from McGrath. Best I have sen him play for a long time

I thought he was genuinely terrible - it felt like every time he got involved it felt rushed and would lead to a turnover.

Loved McKay and Cox’s game in the backline, and can’t wait to get Ridley back.

I don't want to be negative but I thought Martin was off today, his disposal and decision making was off compared to his usual standard.
Agreed. He was ordinary. For the role we are looking for off HB he provided none of it. The jury was out for me in this one and I’ll give it a week or 2 more but we can’t afford to deny ourselves a goalkicking mid, which he is, if instead we’re getting a low efficiency accumulator off HB.

Jones . Does the basics right but can not mark.
Some would consider marking one of the basics.
I will concede that he appears to successfully sucks air into his lungs so there is that I guess.
So long as he’s having a great time as an Essendon player I’m happy to have him on board.

Always great to have a win after a long off season. This was a game with positives but also glaring negatives.

First McKay seems to be a perfect fit and a big upgrade on BZT. I am quietly getting more optimistic that our usual Hawkins mauling might not happen this season. Great first game in the sash.

Loved the work of Perkins, Caldwell, Setters and Co. Centre clearances were amazing and did the defensive stuff too.

Goldy was great. Can't believe how well he moves considering his age and stage of his career. One of the most consistent rucking displays we have had for a while. Doesn't have the dash of Draper or the leap.. or the 'X' factor.. but he controlled the ruck and I think showed a case for playing 2 rucks depending on situation.

Stringer and Langers - tale of two halves.. great to see Stringer up and about early. Langford had a dog first half but stuck with it and came up big when needed. Both players led from the front and made sure the ball hit the deck and big reason why we had so many tackles in our forward 50.

Guelfi.. won't get the accolades but did a tonne of work up forward. A big impact. Made a case to keep his spot even when everyone is fit.

Not so great:
We have seen this exact game from perkins against Hawks last year.. and he didn't repeat it. Need him to really step up and be a consistently good player from us.

Our kick ins.. LOVE that it was something different after 10 years of the same thing.. but some poor decisions and then poor execution made it still look amateur and messy.

Our defensive web in the middle during open play. Hawks carved us up down the middle time and time again. Martin a big culprit. No accountability for his man on several occasions.

Overall a good game but that won't be enough to even get close to good teams.. we need to clean up a few things in a hurry. Also very disappointing to see Reid go down again.. feel sorry for him but we need to plan around him as I just don't see his body holding up.

Bring on the Swannies! Go Bombers!

I thought he was genuinely terrible - it felt like every time he got involved it felt rushed and would lead to a turnover.

I disagree wholeheartedly. McGrath had the most disposals in the game and was highly instrumental coming out of the backline with a lot of them. Steadied us up when we needed it.

I disagree wholeheartedly. McGrath had the most disposals on the ground and was highly instrumental coming out of the backline. Steadied us up a lot when we needed it.
Yep. I mentioned in his player thread that when you’re on the boundary fence spectating you really appreciate his sharpness and dynamism to get us out of hot spots. His kicking may still let him down but I was really impressed watching him closely today.

Like I’ve stated previous I think that CHF is the toughest position to play on the ground. I don’t think Mitch Lewis set the world on fire either who I do rate. A lot of the game was played between the arcs. That being said it was tough watching Harrison today.

I thought that second year on the list he looked real promising! He led out found space then and took the marks. I don’t know if it is his job to be the dummy forward but I would have liked to see at least 3 pack marks today. I haven’t given up on him yet but I’m not going to lie I’m starting to get a little bit worried about him.

He buggered it up a lot of times coming out of there though - cost us a few goals at least

Clearly you weren't paying much attention to his game specifically. Had a moment where he was running out and got pinged but to hang that on our leading disposal getter who was 90% good is teetering on the typical whipping we see on McGrath (which is getting a bit old now).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly you weren't paying much attention to his game specifically. Had a moment where he was running out and got pinged but to hang that on our leading disposal getter who was 90% good is teetering on the typical whipping we see on McGrath (which is getting a bit old now).

If you thought he only had kne bad moment I think it’s you who wasn’t paying too much attention mate. You were happy with his decision to take an advantage and kick it out on the full under no pressure?

If you thought he only had kne bad moment I think it’s you who wasn’t paying too much attention mate. You were happy with his decision to take an advantage and kick it out on the full under no pressure?

Didn't say it was the only moment was just referencing the most glaring. Anyone can have a shank even in a game that was 90% solid. Think you're making a mountain out of a molehill mate. Got plenty of the pill and played well as a general down back.

Hate to rain on the parade.. but we had some terrible moments (especially in the first half) where Hawthorn absolutely waltzed the ball through the corridor while we did a few little throw-the-arm-out half chases

There was some better set up behind the ball at times but geez there were some weak “pretending to defend” moments

Always great to have a win after a long off season. This was a game with positives but also glaring negatives.

First McKay seems to be a perfect fit and a big upgrade on BZT. I am quietly getting more optimistic that our usual Hawkins mauling might not happen this season. Great first game in the sash.

Loved the work of Perkins, Caldwell, Setters and Co. Centre clearances were amazing and did the defensive stuff too.

Goldy was great. Can't believe how well he moves considering his age and stage of his career. One of the most consistent rucking displays we have had for a while. Doesn't have the dash of Draper or the leap.. or the 'X' factor.. but he controlled the ruck and I think showed a case for playing 2 rucks depending on situation.

Stringer and Langers - tale of two halves.. great to see Stringer up and about early. Langford had a dog first half but stuck with it and came up big when needed. Both players led from the front and made sure the ball hit the deck and big reason why we had so many tackles in our forward 50.

Guelfi.. won't get the accolades but did a tonne of work up forward. A big impact. Made a case to keep his spot even when everyone is fit.

Not so great:
We have seen this exact game from perkins against Hawks last year.. and he didn't repeat it. Need him to really step up and be a consistently good player from us.

Our kick ins.. LOVE that it was something different after 10 years of the same thing.. but some poor decisions and then poor execution made it still look amateur and messy.

Our defensive web in the middle during open play. Hawks carved us up down the middle time and time again. Martin a big culprit. No accountability for his man on several occasions.

Overall a good game but that won't be enough to even get close to good teams.. we need to clean up a few things in a hurry. Also very disappointing to see Reid go down again.. feel sorry for him but we need to plan around him as I just don't see his body holding up.

Bring on the Swannies! Go Bombers!
lol wat 🤨

David King is still a sourpuss and p*ssed his best game was in the 2000 QF against us where he kicked 7 goals from 22 touches in that magnificent 125 point flogging and no one remembers his performance

Kingy's still salty that Brad made him crap his dacks by brushing past him on field whilst he was Norf coach.

No doubt those sour grapes were related to his odd pre game prediction.

Great that we were able to convert, obviously still work to do and some worries with certain players, but you bank the points and focus on the difficult month ahead.

Last edited:
This
Unconvincing but a WIN - we'll take it

Skills and defensive work needs attending to

Perko fantastic, Package was the X factor

Loved Zac and Setters grunt in the midfield - Tsatas as the sub did some great work when he came on

Happy for Mass for the Hawks - really played and used the ball well
This is spot on.

Hate to rain on the parade.. but we had some terrible moments (especially in the first half) where Hawthorn absolutely waltzed the ball through the corridor while we did a few little throw-the-arm-out half chases

Dominated the clearances, tackles, stepped up when it counted and got the 4 points. Kind of sounds like damned if you do, damned if you don't. The real test is to get back up for the weeks ahead.

Some would consider marking one of the basics.
I will concede that he appears to successfully sucks air into his lungs so there is that I guess.
So long as he’s having a great time as an Essendon player I’m happy to have him on board.
Marking on the hard lead is not really a basic skill as such . Not a lot are good at it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back