AFL Toast RND 1: Bombers smoke the Hawkes

Remove this Banner Ad

We looked like we had a lot more structure behind the ball playing an anchor deep at all times. And looked a lot better in link up play on forward thrusts
In saying that we weren’t playing against much, hawthorn are going to well down the bottom this year. Got dominated in all aspects today and the first half wasn’t much chop from either teams.
Great for the boys to come out firing after half time and really put the game to bed
Tippa 😍

I'm happy and drunk, sitting waiting for a train. So, technical talk may be ill advised but our spread and respecting the first offered leads was outstanding. A simple plan that can move us forward. Or am I drunk and deluded?

All the doomers after that Saints game can get fked. Can't believe how many of you thought we'd lose this one badly after not being able to win a preseason game. Ridiculous
If I'm honest, I thought we were stuffed as recently as early in the second quarter. Call me a cynic but near 20 years of mediocrity has me believing the form of a bad game and doubting the form of a good one. Well done you for keeping the faith 👍☺️

Don't care what happens next week for now. Too many things to love today

Zerk in the first quarter was coping a lot of s**t early and made mistakes but is was symptomatic of the mids misfiring. If you are possession high player of the team and you are key back at the same time (which he was for much of the first half) it’s usually because you are under siege.
I can tell you those possessions are a lot more high stakes than 10 possessions in the midfield in that situation. For any goal he gave away he saved 4 and created 4. In my mind it was equivalent to kicking a bag today if he was a forward.
he may not be quick physically but he looked quick in the his decision making and more importantly his conviction as he used to second guess himself a lot.

Our midfield worked them over after a poor start, worked them into the deck. It's not much, but it's a start.
Zac pushed through a tagged, what were Carlton doing with Setters and Parish just ****ed them up.
Oh and Archie, we have a star, finally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can think of many worse ways to start the year.
Titanic Leonardo Dicaprio GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Great win. Happy to see backline combine well but tougher tests ahead. Not so sure about Langford playing back. Did ok today but think he will get found out. Setterfield was good and had most tackles for us. Overall, need to tackle more, but part of low tackle count was nature of a game between 2 average sides. Awesome to see goals by Alwyn and Walla.

Draper is a concern. Only 8 touches and 11 hit outs. Not enough. Helped with 2 goals and missed out on a third due to advantage rule.

Happy with Jones performance. Could have had a couple more goals too. Really need him and Weids to stand up without 2MP and today was good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back