AFL Toast RND 1: Bombers 1 Dawkes 0

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate it when commentators, fans say "If Hawks kick straight, they win" as if it is just a simple equation.
Same.

If Essendon had to rely on Jones, Cox and Weidman as the FWDs yesterday we'd likely have a bunch of points instead of goals scored too. But we didn't.
Our FWD mix has been rejigged over a few times. It's probably it's strongest and most accurate I've seen for a while.

Leading up to this game I've heard it a few times that Hawthorn has one of the strongest FWD mix coming into this season. Didn't see it on Saturday. Guess we will see how this all pans out in the seasons ahead.

Last edited:
Hate it when commentators, fans say "If Hawks kick straight, they win" as if it is just a simple equation.

When a goal is kicked the game completely changes as the ball goes back to the centre. Who knows, we might beat them by more as we had midfield supremacy.
"if this thing that didn't happened happened... who knew what'd happen next!!!!"

it's just hindsight bias, it's annoying but ultimately harmless

When a goal is kicked the game completely changes as the ball goes back to the centre. Who knows, we might beat them by more as we had midfield supremacy.
If we allow good teams to waltz it through the middle like we did yesterday, it will be a simple equation.

If the hawks kick straight they win that. :D
But more to the point is how often we can expect to kick four times as many goals as points in a game? I reckon that must happen in about 10% of games?
Hawks had us by the balls for at least half the game and through accuracy we hung in there. If that’s the way we need to kick to win games this year then we’re ****ed.

Disappointed that I couldn’t get to the game yesterday to see the ‘84 team. That last qtr was just an amazing feeling as a supporter.

Can anyone help me out with a “who’s who” in this photo

I can pick fish, Timmy and Simon in the back row then I’m struggling.

Is that Vander obscured by Dermie? Glen Hawker second from right??

I couldn’t find much on the club website. How many of the team turned up?
View attachment 1930658
That’s ezard third from left, then a Daniher? The only others I know are pretty obvious salmon Maddon etc

That’s ezard third from left, then a Daniher? The only others I know are pretty obvious salmon Maddon etc
On facey I saw a very quick bit showing all the cars with names on them. Like ant555 said there were at least 15. I might have missed someone (Bradbury??) but I think I saw the names of Fish, Foulds, Thompson, Harvey, Shane Heard, Hawker, Elshaug, Duckworth, TD, #27, #32, Kevin Walsh, Frank Dunell, Weston, Williams, Sheeds.

Disappointed that I couldn’t get to the game yesterday to see the ‘84 team. That last qtr was just an amazing feeling as a supporter.

View attachment 1930658
Hawker is far right in this photo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game I've been to in ages. I wanted to watch the replay to see how my views would change, if at all but I don't know if I'll get around to that.

One thing that stood out to me was the use of the boundary which seemed to be much more emphasised than in previous seasons. Contrast with Hawthorn which was reminiscent of the suicidal approach toward risk it had at the start of last season.

Our ground defence was largely appalling, much worse in person. Hawks could cut through it with ease.

However it always felt like the game was played as we wanted it to be played. Hawthorn was fundamentally reactive, primarily due to the clinic Goldy put on and our significantly better work around the ball.

I find it particularly concerning in this context that they had so many more scoring shots until we finally broke them late in the 3rd.

That Hawthorn will finish second last. They're boys against men.

View attachment 1930658
Paul Weston, Steve Carey, Paul Salmon, Alan Ezard, TW, Shane Heard, possibly Vander, Tony Elshaugh, not sure, S Madden, Glenn Hawker

First game I've been to in ages. I wanted to watch the replay to see how my views would change, if at all but I don't know if I'll get around to that.

One thing that stood out to me was the use of the boundary which seemed to be much more emphasised than in previous seasons. Contrast with Hawthorn which was reminiscent of the suicidal approach toward risk it had at the start of last season.

Our ground defence was largely appalling, much worse in person. Hawks could cut through it with ease.

However it always felt like the game was played as we wanted it to be played. Hawthorn was fundamentally reactive, primarily due to the clinic Goldy put on and our significantly better work around the ball.

I find it particularly concerning in this context that they had so many more scoring shots until we finally broke them late in the 3rd.

That Hawthorn will finish second last. They're boys against men.
The ground defense is what you say it is.

There are a few factors IMO. Next level dumb is one . Lack of speed in the forward line is another. Slow reaction to defensive transition is another. Lack of leadership depth to drive things on field is another.

Starting with the forward line the current mix can not be the long term for me. We have good forwards but there is no run down pace or manic pressure. Stringer was the guy providing most of the pressure. Until it changes we will leak out of the back half and sides will run half backs out of our back half because we are too slow and the players do not react quick enough .

Then we have our full of ground zone where players seem to be so locked in to protecting the middle that they somehow manage not to look behind them and notice the players sitting on the outside to be used as outlet players. It has to be the players at fault. Surely we can not keep going through coaches and they are all saying forget the outside. I know last year we allowed one side of the ground so we could try and force sides to where we wanted them but even then the lack of forward pressure eventually allowed sides to do what they pleased. I have no answers . I know from my assistant coaching experience we had some groups who got the basics of zone and others that just zoned grass. I just do not know what to think.

Then we have the seagull after the chip factor where guys thinking the are doing the right thing go charging at the contest only to not make it and see the opposition player they ran past get the footy. Too many blokes running to contests they can not get to allowing sides to easily move the footy.

Finally leadership. Not enough genuine hard edge leaders that demand respect to drive things on the field.

Add it all up and what you get is despite the list having a decent amount of football ability it still ends up being a dogs breakfast and they do a lot of chasing and the back 6 have to defend for their lives every week until the wall breaks.

sorry this is a bit late but i finally am watching game

How the hell did Sicility not get done for staging against gresham?. thats the ugly s**t the afl needs to remove from the game

The ground defense is what you say it is.

There are a few factors IMO. Next level dumb is one . Lack of speed in the forward line is another. Slow reaction to defensive transition is another. Lack of leadership depth to drive things on field is another.

Starting with the forward line the current mix can not be the long term for me. We have good forwards but there is no run down pace or manic pressure. Stringer was the guy providing most of the pressure. Until it changes we will leak out of the back half and sides will run half backs out of our back half because we are too slow and the players do not react quick enough .

Then we have our full of ground zone where players seem to be so locked in to protecting the middle that they somehow manage not to look behind them and notice the players sitting on the outside to be used as outlet players. It has to be the players at fault. Surely we can not keep going through coaches and they are all saying forget the outside. I know last year we allowed one side of the ground so we could try and force sides to where we wanted them but even then the lack of forward pressure eventually allowed sides to do what they pleased. I have no answers . I know from my assistant coaching experience we had some groups who got the basics of zone and others that just zoned grass. I just do not know what to think.

Then we have the seagull after the chip factor where guys thinking the are doing the right thing go charging at the contest only to not make it and see the opposition player they ran past get the footy. Too many blokes running to contests they can not get to allowing sides to easily move the footy.

Finally leadership. Not enough genuine hard edge leaders that demand respect to drive things on the field.

Add it all up and what you get is despite the list having a decent amount of football ability it still ends up being a dogs breakfast and they do a lot of chasing and the back 6 have to defend for their lives every week until the wall breaks.
One play that annoyed me was a stoppage in an our forward 50 in the first qtr where Langford went up against Reeves at a boundary throw in. Hawthorn got a free kick and we team pressed across to the Warne Stand wing. Reeves waltzed out unattended to the centre square and received a kick in the open which resulted in a Gunston shot at goal. There was zero accountability for tracking back on the big man after he left our attacking 50. The result was yet another full ground transition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back