AFL Toast RND 1: Bombers smoke the Hawkes

Remove this Banner Ad

We're typically really poor at transitioning from D50 to F50 and they let us do so at somewhere between double and triple the league average yesterday and their pressure recording was the worst since 2021.

They were indescribably bad yesterday barring about an 8 minute period where we looked like we forgot how long a regular season game went for.
Yes that’s what stuck out to me - the stuff we normally get cut up with, was what we cut them up with.

That does not augur well.

We're typically really poor at transitioning from D50 to F50 and they let us do so at somewhere between double and triple the league average yesterday and their pressure recording was the worst since 2021.

They were indescribably bad yesterday barring about an 8 minute period where we looked like we forgot how long a regular season game went for.
Scott intimated as much in his presser without calling them out for how s**t they are.

they will have patches where they will run and gun and carve through sides throughout a game. But it's not gonna be sustainable.

My 6 year old niece went to her first game yesterday. Apparently she was undecided who she was going for until Walla came on and kicked a goal. She's now an Essendon supporter and wants one of those big flags like what the cheer squad has. 😁

So thanks Walla for ensuring I don't have to cut her from the will!
I had the same emotional response the first time I saw Walla play v Melbourne in 2016. He got the ball in the centre and streamed towards goal. We won that game - one of the few (3?) we won that year. And yet, one of most enjoyable seasons since...forever and certainly since the saga. Yesterday felt the same when he came on, like our soul was back.

I think you’re right about our soul and Walla. I was in the dry area so lots of kids around (including mine). After the roar faded when he kicked his goal, a little tacker probably about 6 shouted into the silence “I LOVE YOU TIPPA!!!”
It was just priceless and I think we all felt the same.

My 6 year old niece went to her first game yesterday. Apparently she was undecided who she was going for until Walla came on and kicked a goal. She's now an Essendon supporter and wants one of those big flags like what the cheer squad has. 😁

Poor girl.

Can't complain about the win. I think the coach and team know how easy they had it yesterday, so good to get 4 points, but know that this week will be harder.

Gold Coast slightly harder. Rowell, Anderson, Miller and Constable will be tougher than what the Hawks served up.

so a mate just texted me that the team on top after Rd1 has made the finals every year since 1995. Not sure if this is true, but I have a feeling if it is we may break the streak :laughing:

We do play the easiest draw in the comp.

Wins against the Hawks, Eagles, Suns, North and Crows count the same as wins against good teams.

Could probably beat Carlton/Richmond too

That’s about 11 wins there. Only need 3 more to make the 8.

Wins against the Hawks, Eagles, Suns, North and Crows count the same as wins against good teams.

Wins against the Crows and Kangas are no certainties.

Carlton and Richmond will beat us by a minimum of 5 goals each.

so a mate just texted me that the team on top after Rd1 has made the finals every year since 1995. Not sure if this is true, but I have a feeling if it is we may break the streak :laughing:
I think the exception is the Lions in 2007.

See I don’t rate Carlton at all this year. Think there’s a lot of hype for a team that didn’t make the finals last season.

They could win the flag and I’d still be saying they were rubbish and just got lucky lol.

Roos only looked okay because they played west coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LateFlimsyHoneybadger-max-1mb.gif

Me convincing my nieces and nephews to pick another team for their own sake

Quality performance from half way through the second but they are hardly built to test our weakness. They lack the big bodies that hurt us in the midfield and have less KPP than we do. Round 5 vs Melbourne is where we will gauge improvements.

Could probably beat Richmond too :p

I must've been watching different matchups between us and them for the past 9 years or so haha.

You can only beat what’s in front of you, and it was pleasing to put them away rather than a sketchy 2 goal win.

That Hawthorn team looks shocking though. Hard to see them kicking a winning score this year without Mitch Lewis (and for that matter, Jesus)

Could probably beat Richmond too :p

I must've been watching different matchups between us and them for the past 9 years or so haha.

Not sure how 9 years is a relevant sample size in footy terms given typical player career lengths.

Last 2 years Richmond have missed the finals and lost a first round elimination game to notorious chokers Brisbane (After finishing 7th)

Their big move this off-season was to bring in Tim Toranto a ball winning mid with poor disposal and Hopper an inside mid with no outside game.

That sounds a lot like another football team that wears a black uniform with a sash

Not sure how 9 years is a relevant sample size in footy terms given typical player career lengths.

Last 2 years Richmond have missed the finals and lost a first round elimination game to notorious chokers Brisbane (After finishing 7th)

Their big move this off-season was to bring in Tim Toranto a ball winning mid with poor disposal and Hopper an inside mid with no outside game.

That sounds a lot like another football team that wears a black uniform with a sash
Their system has made a mess of us for that 9 years. Made even worse when rutten was trying to beat them at their own game playing their style with a playing list with an inferior aerobic profile

No need to tackle when you’ve got the ball the whole time. Our pressure on the ball was a lot higher though.
^^This

There is nothing wrong with playing an offensive game when there is no pressure.

The good sides can switch between modes quickly. Though the trend seems to be becoming more offensive.

Child protection will probably pay her a visit after that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back