AFL Toast RND 1: Bombers 1 Dawkes 0

Remove this Banner Ad

awkward big gulps GIF
You know that was improvised. So good.

Nic Cox showed a bit in the backline. Its not where i would have put him, but there you go.
The backline is his go, and everyone knows it, except for the actual people at the club. It's frustrating.

Have to say I like they way the Hawks deployed Mass more than how we deployed Martin. They obviously accept that Mass is not a great defender and struggles to transition into defense so they sacrificed his wing and allowed him to play a loose role around half back and just read the footy. The kicker was they often attacked out of that wing with their half backs as we went in closer to the contest. Fist quarter Duursma was good at matching it with him but we seemed to go away from it a bit and Duursma ended up doing a lot of chasing. Mass pretty much played loose half back.
I would say it may be a better way to deploy Martin so we do not had to make him try and defend. Set the back 6 and let him play wing / loose defense to create the drive.

Lots of rust .
Still some next level dumb s**t . Continually leaving players free on the fat side of the ground .
Four or 5 blokes running in to tackle one man .

Clumsy head high tackles .

But a win is a win .
The important future players

Read ☹️

Cox some good but does not have a body for anything physical.

Perkins. A+

Jones . Does the basics right but can not mark.

Tsatas good.

Next week will be like a lion taking on a two legged gazelle.
Even Scott mentioned in the presser there was a breakdown in defence in transition.

Now Perk has stepped up I think I would prefer Durham more on the wing when Parish or Hobbs return.

Have to say I like they way the Hawks deployed Mass more than how we deployed Martin. They obviously accept that Mass is not a great defender and struggles to transition into defense so they sacrificed his wing and allowed him to play a loose role around half back and just read the footy. The kicker was they often attacked out of that wing with their half backs as we went in closer to the contest. Fist quarter Duursma was good at matching it with him but we seemed to go away from it a bit and Duursma ended up doing a lot of chasing. Mass pretty much played loose half back.
I would say it may be a better way to deploy Martin so we do not had to make him try and defend. Set the back 6 and let him play wing / loose defense to create the drive.
I was assuming this is what theyd do. Really surprised theyre trying to make him take a man down back. Im sure he was on ginny a few times too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE GOOD

1) at around 12:50 in the third; I think that's where the game turns our way. It was when Will Setterfield laid a punishing tackle on Worpel and we get the fast movement onto Peter Wright. That was something that we rarely saw in the past. No one held their tackles, no one put the effort in. While Wright obviously didn't convert, I think Hawthorn were scrambling after that.

2) I don't think it can be stated enough how well Matt Guelfi had an amazing first half on Sicily. When Sicily plays well, the hawks play well. The blanket that Guelfi was on Sicily was amazing, and really enabled Wright and Stringer to hit the scoreboard early in the game when we needed it most. Jye Menzie had a few moments similar to this too, in the last. I hope that he continues to up his work ethic and efforts going forward this season because he could easily become a 30-35 goal per year small forward. If he worked in conjunction with Jade Gresham we'd have an extremely potent forward line.

3) It's pretty great that every time the hawks got a goal in the 3rd, we got one right back, almost instantly. I think going in a lot of supports were a bit dicey about how we'd go given that Darcy Parish was out of the team, but the midfield really stood up, especially Will Setterfield and Archie Perkins. I think our depth players really played well today.

4) For someone that's 35 years old, Goldy looks really, really good. Bryan is a jet, Draper is a jet, but Goldy brings that professionalism that is absolutely important to a successful side. All of our recruits from the off season played well, I'm still not sold on Duursma, but I think he can do well with more maturity and game time under his belt. I'm looking forward to seeing more of all of them this year.

5) Even if Elijah Tsatas came on in the second half, all of those worries about his kicking (to me at least) seem to be for naught. He had an immediate impact in the game and it was apparent that his kicking is not to be of concern. I'm yet to see any of Darcy Parish's improvement but if it's anything like Tsatas's, I think he'll have a great year ahead.

6) Everyone loves Sam Durham, but man, he can run a game out. he'll never give up. It's great to see. I think he's one of our most important players and it's absolutely apparent that he's improving every single game that he plays.

7) Our accuracy was honestly what got us the win. Obviously kicking straight wins matches, but we were just... kicking so well? It's almost a different team kicking in front of goal compared to some of our games last year. I know I was critical of Travis Cloake in the past (who wouldn't be, I distinctly remember how s**t of a set shot he was) but he's really done well to turn us into a straight kicking team.

8) Ben Mckay will keep all the campaigners out of the side, his intercepting was great and extremely important. Him working alongside later this season will be amazing. I think him and Andrew Mcgrath will have a great season together.

9) Contract year, contract year, contract year. What more needs to be said? 4 goal game is a great start to the year. Nothing more needs to be said.

10) Archie Perkins take a bow. He's shown glimpses of his talent (including in this fixture last year) but I think today, his second half of the game was the best I've seen him play. He backed himself, he wasn't selfish, he converted. He did everything he could do right, very well. I just hope that he's able to keep it going throughout the year, and not have some up and down games.

THE BAD

10) Harrison Jones looks listless out there, he needs some time in the VFL, nothing more to be said.

11) I hope that Zach Reid just has a bit of a test and should be good to go, but man I don't think I can take him being injured again for a season.

As Brad Scott said afterwards, Hawthorn are a "high transition" team that play a high-risk, high-reward game.

Coupled with it being Round 1 (everyone's a bit rusty) and a hot day (need to manage your fuel tickets), means there will be gaps everywhere on defensive transition.
We’ll see whether this was a reason or simply another excuse in the mould of the last couple of decades.

The win was good and the new additions were welcome. Perk, Duz and Setterfield were good, despite a few fumbles I thought Zac was good. McGrath was improved from last year but for his pedigree and age still needs to be better.

Otherwise the sheer amount of lapses and mistakes of old in terms of positioning around the contest, defensive position, slow reactions and work rate were worrisome for round 1.

Forget the heat and Hawthorn, we shouldn’t be seeing such lapses in the first quarter if the players were switched on and crystal clear on what to do and where to be.

But…we’ll see, sometimes round 1 can be a bit weird and not necessarily gospel for the year. It’s just concerning when it’s a lot of the same kinds of lapses after an extended period where we’re supposedly building fitness and teaching plans.

Still, between the (many) lapses there were some decent signs. Time will tell I guess but I’m not expecting a lot this year.

Disappointed that I couldn’t get to the game yesterday to see the ‘84 team. That last qtr was just an amazing feeling as a supporter.

Can anyone help me out with a “who’s who” in this photo

I can pick fish, Timmy and Simon in the back row then I’m struggling.

Is that Vander obscured by Dermie? Glen Hawker second from right??

I couldn’t find much on the club website. How many of the team turned up?
IMG_1872.jpeg

There was a lot of good and bad today but the one thing that stood out to me was that at least half our team can't lay a bone crunching tackle to save their lives. If there was a +4 in fantasy for slipped tackles, I'd have a full Essendon team.

Still happy to get the win. It was good to see Stringer back out there in full fitness and mixed with Langford, Poite and co it's a pretty decent forward line.
Duz can tackle. Perko can tackle. Setters can tackle.

Disappointed that I couldn’t get to the game yesterday to see the ‘84 team. That last qtr was just an amazing feeling as a supporter.

Can anyone help me out with a “who’s who” in this photo

I can pick fish, Timmy and Simon in the back row then I’m struggling.

Is that Vander obscured by Dermie? Glen Hawker second from right??

I couldn’t find much on the club website. How many of the team turned up?
View attachment 1930658
15 or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back