AFL Autopsy RND 9: Chewed up by the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night hurt to watch but all things considered at the very least I was pleased with the effort and some exciting signs.
Hobbs best game yet, Perkins showed some glimpses of superstardom, BZT held his own in a horribly undermanned backline, McGrath played like a competitive beast, kept Brisbane under 100 and retained some scoreboard dignity with a completely makeshift backline.
It's just stressful knowing we have so many players missing out on development due to injury, and that despite all the good signs this could end up being a wasted year. We might go into next year with our stars a year older and what's meant to be our future spine in the same spot or even lagging behind.

probably because they're playing out of position against multiple blokes as tall as they are
I am willing to cut the defence some slack due to unavailable players etc. but we don't mark nearly enough when we are transitioning the ball.
The difference between us and every other club is stark. We 'nearly' take plenty... most other players mark it when they are in front and get 2 hands on it.

Who is Brisbane's recruiter? We should go after that person.
They've traded in Cameron, Daniher, Dunkley, Gunston and Neale. They brought in Birchall and Hodge to instil professional standards. Good consolidation.
We traded in Tom Cutler……

Did we miss Parish ?
On the fence answer is yes and no. His link run to transition from defence would have helped. The clearance and stoppage was even so possibly some more centre clearance but it was not a high scoring game. .
We lost the game in contested possession by 30 . Doubt Parish helps that and it is not just a midfield issue as far as that goes. It is more a team issue.
My view is he would have got his 30 possessions and maybe we lose by 30. He would have helped as far as running out the game goes.

It's just stressful knowing we have so many players missing out on development due to injury, and that despite all the good signs this could end up being a wasted year. We might go into next year with our stars a year older and what's meant to be our future spine in the same spot or even lagging behind.
i have similar concerns but even with the missed development opportunities, they're still building an identifiable game plan and there's a visible shift in culture, so it's not entirely for nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did we miss Parish ?
On the fence answer is yes and no. His link run to transition from defence would have helped. The clearance and stoppage was even so possibly some more centre clearance but it was not a high scoring game. .
We lost the game in contested possession by 30 . Doubt Parish helps that and it is not just a midfield issue as far as that goes. It is more a team issue.
My view is he would have got his 30 possessions and maybe we lose by 30. He would have helped as far as running out the game goes.
i don't think so, ben hobbes stepped up and played well, from what i saw. our garbage disposal is costing us more and more each week.

2nd half was the first time this year I felt that we weren't up for the fight.

Transition game gone awol the last 2 weeks.

Midfield back to operating in a phone booth leaving opposition players free outside the contest resulting in effective clearances/post-clearances for the opposition compared to ours.

Defence held up against the brisbane blitz considering they had their highest i50's for the year yet were kept to their 3rd lowest score (lowest at home).

Have had another quick look. We are just undersized in a lot of areas of the ground and can not win enough contested footy when it counts. The last 4 weeks sides have taken over the game when we have not been able to handle their bigger body players and it is not just midfield. Martin and Durham on the wings play good footy but can be bowled over. Mass and Hind in the back half. Menzie forward. We had the equal of them at clearance and stoppage but not general play contested ball.
We also can not get control back when we have to kick down the line as our rucks do not take a lot of contested marks and last night we had 1 KPF.

Have had another quick look. We are just undersized in a lot of areas of the ground and can not win enough contested footy when it counts. The last 4 weeks sides have taken over the game when we have not been able to handle their bigger body players and it is not just midfield. Martin and Durham on the wings play good footy but can be bowled over. Mass and Hind in the back half. Menzie forward. We had the equal of them at clearance and stoppage but not general play contested ball.
We also can not get control back when we have to kick down the line as our rucks do not take a lot of contested marks and last night we had 1 KPF.
All good points. Jones (when fit) really helps with at least competing in congested marking contests (as an outlet from F50).

Anytime we were clearing from the backline and the ball was moving in the air it felt they were in the box seat to take a mark or gain control back - it always felt it was going to their advantage whether that be poor disposal or just lacking comparative prowess in the air (likely both). In turn that creates a sense of perpetual high end pressure. Also they were getting the overlap a bit easier. We are lucky to have a couple of deadly forwards and like Port last week they weren't so accurate. A side note as an opposition supporter I love when McClugage is the one having shots on goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back