AFL Autopsy RND 9: Chewed up by the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Draper needs to pull his head in. Done sweet FA over the last month since the Melbourne game and is meant.to be our no.1 ruckman. Getting beaten badly around the ground with minimal impact and hardly any marks.....need more from him......While he's still learning, been a very disappointing month Sammy.

Someone mentioned this earlier and he has been beaten soundly by players we expect him to beat.

Next week Bryan MUST play pending fitness and getting through tomorrows VFL game

Yeah we just couldn’t buy a goal the second half that was my biggest disappointment. As much as I rate Langers now we were so predictable to Brisbane by looking for him too much. Rucks weren’t a great help in this area and having Jake in the middle helps there at times but it comes with sacrifice up forward. Weed was poor today too and apart from that one Menzies goal I didn’t think our small forwards had a massive impact on the game.

Yeah we just couldn’t buy a goal the second half that was my biggest disappointment. As much as I rate Langers now we were so predictable to Brisbane by looking for him too much. Rucks weren’t a great help in this area and having Jake in the middle helps there at times but it comes with sacrifice up forward. Weed was poor today too and apart from that one Menzies goal I didn’t think our small forwards had a massive impact on the game.
We've robbed Peter twice to pay both Paul and Bob, and now we owe all three of them and are still in the red.

We've robbed Peter twice to pay both Paul and Bob, and now we owe all three of them and are still in the red.
That was the biggest negative for me. The biggest positive was Hobbs I’m convinced he will be elite. 22 possessions but they were nice possessions for the most part. Look forward in watching him develop over the “journey”.

biggest bit of evidence that the AFL hates us is this. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a downright idiot who deserves to be burnt at the stake.

It's not like its a St.Kilda who have come out of no where or The Dogs who people genuinely believed should be better than they have performed. We literally played 3 of the top 6 teams from last year inside the least amount of rest days
Could view it as a favour. Hard teams at the hard time.

We're playing a long game

As many games into davey as we can whilst getting tippa match fit.
Neither are ready to impact. May pay off in the long run

Defence held up better than expected - McGrath, Baldwin and Redman played really well.

Otherwise, we were woefully inadequate.

Really no surprises out of that game, except Baldwin - really showed something.

Geelong, Port and Brisbane have schooled us. When the pressure is applied, the Bombers go missing.

The road will be a long one.

Draper needs to pull his head in. Done sweet FA over the last month since the Melbourne game and is meant.to be our no.1 ruckman. Getting beaten badly around the ground with minimal impact and hardly any marks.....need more from him......While he's still learning, been a very disappointing month Sammy.
Hype machine. Mullet, t-shirt with face on it, flukey goal of the year, does f.all around the ground. He’s getting away with it. Not convinced.

Hype machine. Mullet, t-shirt with face on it, flukey goal of the year, does f.all around the ground. He’s getting away with it. Not convinced.
It's the thing about game winners... they can turn a game on its head but they won't do it every week. Sometimes they just play a role, and sometimes that role is decoy.

Not too down on the result as uninspiring as that second half was, because I expected them to blow us away early but the team showed up and played a solid first half.

What drives me nuts though is the consistent inability to execute even a 2m uncontested handball - so many times our attacks break down or the ball is turned over in defence because of a lazy handball that goes in the general vicinity of a teammate but never to their advantage. We'd have to be the worst side in the league at this over the last 5+ years; feel like it costs us multiple goals every week at both ends.

Since the disappointment of anzac day, ive fast lost faith he's the answer in the ruck.
He may, however, be an option as a fwd

When bryan is ready, give him the reins and play draper fwd
When wright is back, they both get to sink or swim.
We'll then know at years end if we need another fwd and ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're playing a long game

As many games into davey as we can whilst getting tippa match fit.
Neither are ready to impact. May pay off in the long run
I don’t disagree with this. I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but for now I would like to see Hind and Tippa trade places to get a bit of fitness into Tippa and good decision making back there. Tippa was very good there before he started playing AFL. Hind up forward (which he can do) he would be able to use his offensive flair and run to ask the opposition some questions. I don’t think his brain farts would hurt as much up there and could be a handful for some defenders.

Look, it could be worse! We could have a mature list with all the bits needed to challenge for a flag yet somehow be a rubbish dump like Carlton.

I'm happy with how our youngsters are developing, it is just disappointing that we can't get consistent games in Reid and Cox because we clearly need some tall defenders. I'm very happy with Weiderman's development, and can't wait to see him play alongside Wright, I think Weiderman will work up the ground and make room for Wright. Disappointing result, but it was my fault because I was watching up to half time then started making some broccoli pasta at half time and by the time I finished keeping an eye on the game they had banged 4 goals on.

I still think we're building well.

Ahh well, this match result we all saw coming.
At least we should be competitive against the Tigers and get a bunch of wins after that.

Not too down on the result as uninspiring as that second half was, because I expected them to blow us away early but the team showed up and played a solid first half.

What drives me nuts though is the consistent inability to execute even a 2m uncontested handball - so many times our attacks break down or the ball is turned over in defence because of a lazy handball that goes in the general vicinity of a teammate but never to their advantage. We'd have to be the worst side in the league at this over the last 5+ years; feel like it costs us multiple goals every week at both ends.
100% with you, we have some of the worst handballers going around and add to that talls that can't take a mark to save themselves. In fact, our non-talls couldn't take chest marks, so add poor marking to shite handballing.

We just constantly shoot ourselves in the foot.

be good if the game plan could get past handballing to someone in the scrum. Not all but most of the pin point kicking was ok. In the marking department down a level from Brisbane and quite a few others. Even that Daniher got a bag Zerk and Baldwin look solid backline citizens

What drives me nuts though is the consistent inability to execute even a 2m uncontested handball - so many times our attacks break down or the ball is turned over in defence because of a lazy handball that goes in the general vicinity of a teammate but never to their advantage.
Disposals to advantage in general is something we stink at. As someone else here pointed out you would think it wouldn't be so hard to fine-tune with guys like Caracella at the club.

This midfield group has shown it’s not up to it for a long time. Need a complete overhaul. Think the forwards and the defence is alright but this midfield is nowhere near it.

The highlight of my night was helping holding up the banner. From there it was all down hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back