AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

We should have enough depth in the midfield to not need to bring in an underdone Shiel.

Hobbs is back from injury and Tsatas has had a full pre-season as far as I know. Add Caldwell and that should cover Parish's midfield minutes.
Tsatas for Parish would be my call.
He's had the pre-season. I'd give Shiel 1-2 in VFL for some touch after a long lay off.

Midfield of Merrett, Setterfield, Caldwell, Durham, Tsatas and Hobbs is likely enough.

We should have enough depth in the midfield to not need to bring in an underdone Shiel.

Hobbs is back from injury and Tsatas has had a full pre-season as far as I know. Add Caldwell and that should cover Parish's midfield minutes.
From what I hear he is has done a power of work in the last two weeks and is 100% but in saying that more than a bit of match sim this week would be handy.

He's had the pre-season. I'd give Shiel 1-2 in VFL for some touch after a long lay off.

Midfield of Merrett, Setterfield, Caldwell, Durham, Tsatas and Hobbs is likely enough.
Think it would be Hobbs for Parish. Tsatas has been in the side on a wing.

doubt it happens, but an interesting rotation would be Draper - Hobbs - Tsatas - Caldwell....see what the young'ens can do.
And sit Merrett out on the wing for a bit. or somewhere he can expose the tag he's inevitably going to cop from Maginnes.

I'm guessing Tsatas wouldn't be playing on a wing in the real games? I'd rather see him in the 2's spending the majority of his time in the middle, at least initially.

I'm not confident that Tsatas could run out a full game as easily yet, having come back from injury and only done one preseason. I think he'll share the role if anything.

From Parish's kicking to Tsatas's. That will be interesting to see.

Not sure what the thinking is with Shiel. Surely a game in the VFL would have benefitted him more than travelling with the seniors, especially when Davey was first choice inclusion. Would’ve been better having Roberts make the trip to blend with the team with the very slight chance he might get a qtr of footy if 2 players pulled out. Instead Shiel’s match conditioning is pushed back a week. Very odd.

Not sure what the thinking is with Shiel. Surely a game in the VFL would have benefitted him more than travelling with the seniors, especially when Davey was first choice inclusion. Would’ve been better having Roberts make the trip to blend with the team with the very slight chance he might get a qtr of footy if 2 players pulled out. Instead Shiel’s match conditioning is pushed back a week. Very odd.
Did shiel travel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather we take the old blokes as the travelling emergencies as much as possible.

Let the young guys get full games somewhere. Roberts will benefit way more from a full VFL game than he would have travelling with the team. Hopefully he can put together a couple more VFL games like the last one and be in the frame for a game, he's looking like a great pickup early days.

I'd rather we take the old blokes as the travelling emergencies as much as possible.

Let the young guys get full games somewhere. Roberts will benefit way more from a full VFL game than he would have travelling with the team. Hopefully he can put together a couple more VFL games like the last one and be in the frame for a game, he's looking like a great pickup early days.
Roberts has had a full pre-season and would gain great insight into the team prep for interstate games whereas Shiel has had no match conditioning.

At any rate it seems he was missing due to a tweak of something which explains why he didn’t play anyway.

Too bad we do not have a mid season trade period.
I was all for getting Shiel at the time and personally it has been disappointing that injuries has pretty much shut him down since the first season as he is an elite clearance player. Problem is not he is pretty much surplus with Perkins / Durham / Setterfield / Caldwell taking up midfield roles and Hobbs lurking around as well.

Too bad we do not have a mid season trade period.
I was all for getting Shiel at the time and personally it has been disappointing that injuries has pretty much shut him down since the first season as he is an elite clearance player. Problem is not he is pretty much surplus with Perkins / Durham / Setterfield / Caldwell taking up midfield roles and Hobbs lurking around as well.
He should have been traded in the off season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back