AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Parish has been whipped more in the past 2 days?

As he should, his effort was woeful.

Meanwhile Shiel, with less woeful efforts, has been getting whipped for 2 years.

How long did it take oliver and Petracca to defend? And do team orientated things?

Less than it's taken Parish. The Dees got buy-in from their top-end players and look where it's taken them.

Mcgrath hasnt really had enough of a look as a mid to make a case either way yet.

He's been around long enough to know how to run both ways.

As he should, his effort was woeful.

Meanwhile Shiel, with less woeful efforts, has been getting whipped for 2 years.

Less than it's taken Parish. The Dees got buy-in from their top-end players and look where it's taken them.

He's been around long enough to know how to run both ways.
You dont think Mcgrath runs both ways? I havnt watched enough of him onball to say yay or nay. Always thought of him as a team man thus a captain in waiting

Oliver and Petracca didnt buy in until after 100 games pretty much. It might be taking Parish an extra 12 games (i hope)

No doubt Parish gets away with it more because hes 4-5 years younger, does more statistically in game. Is still only really 20 odd games into his AFL career as an 70% CBA mid. Hasnt been paid anywhere near as much in the past 3.5 years

You dont think Mcgrath runs both ways? I havnt watched enough of him onball to say yay or nay. Always thought of him as a team man thus a captain in waiting

Oliver and Petracca didnt buy in until after 100 games pretty much. It might be taking Parish an extra 12 games (i hope)

No doubt Parish gets away with it more because hes 4-5 years younger, does more statistically in game. Is still only really 20 odd games into his AFL career as an 70% CBA mid. Hasnt been paid anywhere near as much in the past 3.5 years

McGrath and Parish have both put in some appalling efforts of late, from guys with ~ 100 games it's not acceptable.

Yet here you are, excusing their efforts.

If it's not good enough from Shiel (who does more) then it's not good enough from Parish, Merrett or McGrath.

McGrath and Parish have both put in some appalling efforts of late, from guys with ~ 100 games it's not acceptable.

Yet here you are, excusing their efforts.

If it's not good enough from Shiel (who does more) then it's not good enough from Parish, Merrett or McGrath.
Im not excusing their efforts. I obviousily didnt watch Mcgrath close enough to say yay or nay but the blokes played 3 games in the midfield

Ive been very harsh on Parish, i put him and Shiel in the same basket of being droppable for the anzac clash

Not defending is not good enough from anyone it just typically takes players time to reach that level of maturity sometimes. Parish is at the stage where hes just trying to avg 40 disposals a game get paid more $$ and win plaudits for medals and BnFs. I hope its not rewarded in voting

It took Oliver 100 games. Petracca 110 games

Shiel has never done it in his career

It should start from the top?

I still don't think the trade was that bad tbh.
it's a shame Mosquito didn't work out as we'd have an elite mid + a small forward.

As you've pointed out, the trade in the context of our midfield mix didn't stack up.
Had we gone Taranto in 2016, I reckon this makes more sense

You'd have Merrett (outside) & Parish (inside) as the ball hunters, Shiel as the clearance gut runner, Stringer and Taranto as the bigger inside mids. Plus we'd have Caldwell, Hobbs & Perkins.
Sigh. How many times do I have to say this?

IRVING MOSQUITO'S DRAFT PICK WASN'T PART OF THE DYLAN SHIEL TRADE

Im not excusing their efforts. I obviousily didnt watch Mcgrath close enough to say yay or nay but the blokes played 3 games in the midfield

Ive been very harsh on Parish, i put him and Shiel in the same basket of being droppable for the anzac clash

Not defending is not good enough from anyone it just typically takes players time to reach that level of maturity sometimes. Parish is at the stage where hes just trying to avg 40 disposals a game get paid more $$ and win plaudits for medals and BnFs. I hope its not rewarded in voting

It took Oliver 100 games. Petracca 110 games

Shiel has never done it in his career

It should start from the top?

Shiel has done it though. He's changed his role to suit the team, to the detriment of his stats. He's done grunt work around stoppages. He's played more minutes forward.

That's why it's so obvious when he stops doing it all of a sudden, because no one else around him is bothering.

Why should Shiel bother doing the ugly, boring stuff while Parish and Merrett cruise around racking up 30+ and some Brownlow votes?

Oliver and Petracca are a few seasons in to doing it now, it's not a new thing for 2021 / 2022.

McGrath can be excused for inexperience with midfield craft at AFL level, but two-way running from a guy with ~ 100 games at AFL level is a non-negotiable.

If people want to blame Shiel but make excuses for Parish, Merrett and McGrath, then they're making a horrible argument.

Either everyone should be held to the same standard, or no-one should be.

Sigh. How many times do I have to say this?

IRVING MOSQUITO'S DRAFT PICK WASN'T PART OF THE DYLAN SHIEL TRADE
Probably at least a few more times. There are still people who think Walla is a top-up and that Parish was the player we got with the Carlisle pick...
I always mix that one up. I get the other ones right though :)

still stands to reason, it wasn't a bad trade. in fact, quite an alright one.

Shiel has done it though. He's changed his role to suit the team, to the detriment of his stats. He's done grunt work around stoppages. He's played more minutes forward.

That's why it's so obvious when he stops doing it all of a sudden, because no one else around him is bothering.

Why should Shiel bother doing the ugly, boring stuff while Parish and Merrett cruise around racking up 30+ and some Brownlow votes?

Oliver and Petracca are a few seasons in to doing it now, it's not a new thing for 2021 / 2022.

McGrath can be excused for inexperience with midfield craft at AFL level, but two-way running from a guy with ~ 100 games at AFL level is a non-negotiable.

If people want to blame Shiel but make excuses for Parish, Merrett and McGrath, then they're making a horrible argument.

Either everyone should be held to the same standard, or no-one should be.
I believe it should start with the elder statesman

But yes everyone should be held to account which they are

Neither Parish or Shiel defensivily transitioned on the weekend and both have been called out for it

Parish more so

Round 1 none of Zerrett, Shiel or Parish did it

Probably at least a few more times. There are still people who think Walla is a top-up and that Parish was the player we got with the Carlisle pick...
Can we add to the pinned that Nick Bryan was the one (in a roundabout way) who was part of the Shiel trade?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remind me when I refresh the banners and sure

(January 2023)
We still seem a wingman short. Langford takes the other. Could Shiel be the hard running wing like a Langdon, hill, Smith. It just seems we are wanting too many of our players to be things that don't benefit the team/ help us win games. Our midfield keeps getting beat and doesn't put in the effort when required but everyone seems intent on saying McGrath, parish, Merrett, Shiel are the group to take us forward. I think even at there best it's not a balanced finals winning midfield group. I just don't see McGrath or Shiel being full time mids that give us a competence advantage over top 8 teams. Seeing what we can do with Hobbs, cox, 1rp/big bodied mid plus parish, Merrett and stringer might.

Not what is best for individual player but what is best for the team that will give us a competitive advantage.

Even at full strength what is our competitive advantage over other teams or even what do we think will become our real strength and point of difference

I did say he went into could not give a fu** mode.
He was lazy most of the day. Given his speed when was the last time he consistently ran down a player with a tackle. Fairly rare given his potential. He is clipping tickets. Imagine if one day he actually really crunched someone. I’ve seen dozens of tougher players at Essendon. Sheedy would have one of the boys clean him up in an intraclub game to get him going. AFL360 had it right tonight

Very ugly stuff for Shiel.

He’s just downhill skiing at the moment. Time to get your fu**in hands dirty

Geeze Individuals are getting a good bake! I don't watch any of this stuff these days is it just different players every week or are we getting a particularly big work over?

Geeze Individuals are getting a good bake! I don't watch any of this stuff these days is it just different players every week or are we getting a particularly big work over?

Generally one club is in the gun each week and this week it’s us, so you get this stuff all week.

It’s only one incident but did think this was a very poor one for Shiel, one of our most senior players.

Generally one club is in the gun each week and this week it’s us, so you get this stuff all week.

It’s only one incident but did think this was a very poor one for Shiel, one of our most senior players.
Agreed. But apparently according to Heppell we've reviewed the hell out of the game so we can expect to...try harder something back to last years accountability:)

Seriously though it would be pretty embarrassing. Same week the coach named him and Parish too. If they don't fire up after all that I'd be surprised .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back