Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

you want hayward out of the team, yet you rate lloyd to the extent you give him "best" points and call him "the general" ...
you have so many good ideas and opinions but your lloyd obsession isn't one ...
lloyd of 3,4, 5 years ago, yeah, ok, and that you're a fan is fair enough, but (forgetting money and whatever other issues) to suggest hayward is less important or less worthy of a place in our best 22 is stubbornly, defiantly biased and wrong

Lloyd has won Skiltons. How many times has Hayward made top 10 in the BnF. He has never played better than a 16-28 player.

That's fair enough KS.

I really don't want to get into Hayward as a player. I understand his role and I think many others seem to acknowledge the role he has and the value he has as a unique player in that role, even if we all differ on his effectiveness of it.

But he's not the first player to have value to the side. We lost players like Mitchell, Aliir, Hewett & Dawson, all of whom are better players than Hayward, and at points in time when our list wasn't as stacked as it currently is. It's probably a great thing that someone like Hayward isn't in our top half a dozen players, whereas for a team like Adelaide or Port, maybe he would be.

So I think it's just a realistic acceptance that we can't keep everyone. It's just not possible in today's industry.

So if someone is squeezed out that isn't Hayward, then who? What would the alternatives be? Would people have preferred we made re-signing Hayward a priority over Gulden & Rowbottom? Would people have preferred us not lock away Blakey & Heeney for life last year? Would people have preferred us throw the kitchen sink at Hayward to keep him rather than keep some away for McDonald & Warner in the future? Would people have preferred us lose a key defender we've been crying out for in Melican, in order to keep Hayward?

Once you start getting into players like potentially losing a Fox or a Cunningham, or a Reid or Rampe retires, then you're getting into players whose contracts have barely any relevance to the salary cap anyway.
Why do we keep losing these players though? I don't see any other team leaking out best 22 players every 2 years the way we do.

You say it's impossible in this industry yet teams like Port and Carlton who seem to snap up 2-3 quality players each trade period, and not on the cheap either, and now they're both in for Hayward. Look at their list demographic and convince me they have more cap space than us...

Realistically he's probably worth 800k. The salary cap is increasing. There's no reason why we can't retain all those players you mentioned. Whether we as fans rate him top 10 or bottom 10, fact is he's a very valuable piece of our puzzle trying to build to a premiership. This would be a clear cut backwards step. At worst if he's keen on leaving, the club needs to learn to not take s**t, match the bid, and then worry about a trade for due compensation.

Last edited:
Realistically he's probably worth 800k. The salary cap is increasing. There's no reason why we can't retain all those players you mentioned. Whether we as fans rate him top 10 or bottom 10, fact is he's a very valuable piece of our puzzle trying to build to a premiership. This would be a clear cut backwards step. At worst if he's keen on leaving, the club needs to learn to not take and s**t, match the bid, and then worry about a trade for due compensation.

What weird alternate cooker universe do you occupy?

At best should be on Foxy level salary.

Just out of curiosity, in the starting line up where would people rank him as far as value to the team?
Personally I would put all of the following ahead of him in no particular order:
Heeney
Papley
Gulden
Blakey
Warner
McCartin
Rowbottom
Mills
Parker
MacDonald (at this stage only due to the fact he would be ridiculously expensive to replace).

I personally see that group as the top tier of importance to the team, after that would be the bracket I would put him in along with:
Florent
MacInerney
Rampe
Lloyd
Cunningham
Wicks
Grundy
McLean
Melican

Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham all getting closer to the end so could easily see them getting pushed down this list to accommodate players like Roberts, Armaty, Campbell, Sheldrick, Jordan.
It would be nice to see some more talls pushing this group also.
I don't get why everyone is doing this, It's impossible to look at the squad in a tier list. When you're attempting to build a premiership side each player is as valuable as the other. You might need to pay big money for the engine, but the car doesn't move without it's wheels, it won't make you feel comfortable inside even with upgraded leather seats if it doesn't have a heater core to warm you up on a chilly morning. And Goodluck getting it from point A to B on a rainy day without window wipers, even if it were a Bugatti. Imo Hayward is a component of the transmission, not cheap but required.

You might find cheap replacement spare parts but they're never going to be as good as genuine.

Moral of the story is that the team is only as good as its so called 'last 22' player.

Last edited:
Robbie Fox has kicked 13 goals in his career btw

Best laugh I've had in ages.

Fox is a handy 31yo utility. Hayward is in the top half of medium forwards in the comp and only just hitting his prime.

Ta for the reciprocated chortle.

Fox is handy and more value than Hayward.

I think Haywards ceiling was reached years back and there is no discernible year on year improvement. He still disappears when the pressure is on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Haywards ceiling was reached years back and there is no discernible year on year improvement. He still disappears when the pressure is on.
Fox is the spare tyre. Can replace one of the other four effectively, but is slightly discoloured and old.

Fox is handy but I reckon it's only his versatility keeping him in the team at the moment.

I think you're judging Hayward a little harshly. Think he's gone up a level this year and is slotting in very nicely to a revamped forward line.

I’m late to this convo, so apologies if this has already been posted but ….

The Crows CEO was interviewed on SEN this arvo.

Was asked “do your plans feature Will Hayward?”

The answer was a bunch of vague non-commital nonsense.

David King replied “right, I’ll take that as a yes”.

Last edited:
I don't get why everyone is doing this, It's impossible to look at the squad in a tier list. When you're attempting to build a premiership side each player is as valuable as the other. You might need to pay big money for the engine, but the car doesn't move without it's wheels, it won't make you feel comfortable inside even with upgraded leather seats if it doesn't have a heater core to warm you up on a chilly morning. And Goodluck getting it from point A to B on a rainy day without window wipers, even if it were a Bugatti. Imo Hayward is a component of the transmission, not cheap but required.

You might find cheap replacement spare parts but they're never going to be as good as genuine.

Moral of the story is that the team is only as good as its so called 'last 22' player.
I didn't know everyone was doing this. I hadn't seen it anywhere in this thread. I thought it might be worthwhile trying to take stock of where he might fall in the team priority list of signings and the value of those signings.
I thought that if we could assess the relative position of his team value we might be able to find a realistic option for his salary moving forward and see if that would be something that would be possible to keep him.
I don't see him as a non essential part, far from that but there are clearly role players in the team who aren't going to attract the value that others might.

I didn't know everyone was doing this. I hadn't seen it anywhere in this thread. I thought it might be worthwhile trying to take stock of where he might fall in the team priority list of signings and the value of those signings.
I thought that if we could assess the relative position of his team value we might be able to find a realistic option for his salary moving forward and see if that would be something that would be possible to keep him.
I don't see him as a non essential part, far from that but there are clearly role players in the team who aren't going to attract the value that others might.
Few others made similar tiers in other threads.

Anyways, a forward role player will attract more money than others. There have been some key medium/small forwards attracting top dollar of recent. It's the role that should have its value judged.

Not sure what show you are thinking of, but there was a movie called Logan's Run starring the gorgeous Jenny Agutter;
View attachment 1975536

Ms Agutter is now 71yo, but I'm pleased to say back in the day she was not averse to shedding her clothes on film.

View attachment 1975543

Right then night all, I'm off to my bunk and I may be some time.
The railway children.

Not sure what show you are thinking of, but there was a movie called Logan's Run starring the gorgeous Jenny Agutter;
View attachment 1975536

Ms Agutter is now 71yo, but I'm pleased to say back in the day she was not averse to shedding her clothes on film.

View attachment 1975543

Right then night all, I'm off to my bunk and I may be some time.
Correct on Jenny , but Farah was there as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back