Giants FC

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2005
Greater Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney FC, Sydney Kings, NSW
I promised you a report on the launch, so here it is.....

What’s in a name? That was the question on everyone’s lips as the entity formerly known as Team GWS held their launch at the Sydney Showgrounds on Tuesday night. A gala event, attended by an impressive gathering of potential sponsors and supporters, gathered to be the first to see the AFL’s newest club reveal their identity.
Since the club was announced, we’ve seen Kevin Sheedy brought on as coach. Players have been signed. Blacktown as a training and admin venue has been built, and the Showgrounds as a home game venue locked in. And now it was time for the new club’s identity to be unveiled.
The evening opened with Aboriginal dancing, a recognition that the Showgrounds is built on the land of the Darug people. The national anthem was sung, and then AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou emerged to address the crowd.
Demetriou spoke of the club, a long time in coming. The AFL competition had over 614,000 members, generates $3.4 billion in economic activity annually. But with two million people within the 14 local government areas that forms GWS’s catchment area, it represented a major gap in the AFL’s reach. Demetriou’s message continued that the AFL was in this for the long haul – the AFL isn’t here for 2 years, 5 years or 10 years; their plans are for 20 years, 30 years, as long as it takes. This is a long haul commitment.
GWS chair Tony Shepherd was next to take the stage. “Our goal is to build the best club in the AFL.” Shepherd spoke of the gains that have been made already, of Blacktown built and the Showgrounds redevelopment planned. Of over 50 sponsors signed, meeting nearly all of their corporate targets. And to complete the corporate puzzle, Skoda had been signed up as the club’s primary sponsor; the redeveloped Showgrounds to be known as Skoda Stadium.

After a break came the announcement we’d all been waiting for. As the lights were dimmed, the words “This isn’t the birth of a football club, it’s a revolution” were put up on the screen. The grey and orange lettering a hint of what was to come. And as the lights were switched back on, standing on the stage in their colours were the Greater Western Sydney Giants.
Coach Kevin Sheedy was wearing the suit, with an orange tie. Next to Sheedy was marquee signing Israel Folau. And joining Folau on stage were the other GWS players, wearing the two possibly styles of jumpers. One was orange with a charcoal “G” monogram. The other orange and charcoal with the monogram in white.
Kevin Sheedy, ever the visionary, was beaming with excitement about his new club. Showing the club was an attractive venue, Sheedy pointed out that GWS was yet to join the draft and that every player on stage with him had chosen to join the new club. Sheedy spoke about his passion for football. “Footy gives you hope, footy gives you dreams. The Giants are about daring to dream.”
Finally, club CEO Dale Holmes took the microphone. “Think big. Live big. Play big.” The club has lofty ambitions, and a plan in place to achieve them.
By now the membership and merchandise stand had opened. The club sold their first memberships; and I will claim to be the first to sign up, the first member of the public to be a member of the Giants. The first merchandise – caps, jumpers and T-shirts – were sold. No doubt scarves, polo shirts and more will soon come on sale.

The road ahead has challenges. There are pitfalls, there are risks. There will be disappointments, mistakes will be made. Western Sydney is hardly Aussie Rules heartland; and there are some nay-sayers predicting doom.
But we do not do this because it is easy – if it was easy, it would have been done decades ago. We do this because it is hard, but the potential rewards at the end make it worthwhile.
It’s a long term project, and like George Harrison with his mind set on you, it’s going to take a whole lot of spending money and a whole lot of precious time. But the AFL has the time and money to do it right.

So get on board, and enjoy the ride. Round 1 2012 will be here before you know it.

You say 'if it were easy it would have been done decades ago'..
I still think both new clubs should have arrived 5 years ago..
But better late then never.

I wanted Sheeds to sock us between the eyes and he has. Giants. Guys got big balls. I reckon Glory and Fame is actually Sheeds. BTW great post G&F.

Can't wait to become a member, get the scarf.
Somebody listened to my ravings. ORANGE team in AFL. :):):)
Love the all orange and charcoal jersey, voted for it on GWS site which looks great.
Its a good moment in AFL history.
[Even though I haven't been a fan of 'Giants' name, preferring Wolves and Spartans, but as they got the colours right, I'm prepared to try to get my head around it. At least Sheeds did prepare us for it.]

I don't expect Essendon fans will fully understand the reasons behind my defection to GWS Giants. You can put it down to the tyranny of distance, having a chance to follow a club I can actually see play more than a couple of times a year; and also the opportunity to be part of something when it starts. And a desire to see footy gain a greater presence in the area where I've now called home for longer than I ever did for Victoria. Having Sheeds on board seals the deal.:footy:

No I'm not Kevin Sheedy. I'm just someone prone to writing the odd piece of hyperbole. But having followed a footy club under Sheeds' coaching for 27 years, I've seen first hand what a football visionary and ideas man he is. He's definately the right man for this job.

Well that's me out, was a chance they could become my 2nd side, I'll never give up on the blues.

Having grown up out there & played footy from a very young age I was keen for the team to go well but the coice of the souless hole that is homebush & now this empty giants rubbish has me shaking my head & walking away, like the orange, think the blue should be used at all times ok with the charcoal.

To think you had Holmes s**t canning the Celtics name & then they go with giants. Lot more Celtic links in Western Sydney than giant links, though with the obese socio economically population there are a lot of giant guts & ar**'s out in the region just go to any railway or their natural environment the westfields & you'll see for yourself.

So while I never wish for any footy in Sydney to fail, I will not be putting any money into these giant jokes, may buy a swans membership for the 1st time in 10 years, will only watch the barge ar**'s v the blues & swans & won't even cheer them v the pies.

great vid to get things going. great work with the sponsors and stadiums. really looking forward to seeing the team go and succeed on and off the field - hopefully not at the swans expense.

Wont be one of the teams i support, (go blues always, and then bris/gc for the place of birth stuff) but would be awesome for the league and the sport if it went well.

I don't expect Essendon fans will fully understand the reasons behind my defection to GWS Giants. You can put it down to the tyranny of distance, having a chance to follow a club I can actually see play more than a couple of times a year; and also the opportunity to be part of something when it starts. And a desire to see footy gain a greater presence in the area where I've now called home for longer than I ever did for Victoria. Having Sheeds on board seals the deal.:footy:

Well done G & F and thanks for the great report.

It's people like yourself who are what this game and this club are all about. Someone who is able to look at the bigger picture and get behind the concept, which after all is about promoting the great game of Australian Football to a wider audience, and as someone who was born and bred in western Sydney and fell in love with the game as a kid in the 80's (which makes me pretty unique ;)), last night was a great night and some sort of minor personal vindication for all of the crap I've had to put up with for more than 30 years.

The best thing is that it's all still to unfold in front of us.

Each to there own I suppose, but in my view anyone who lives in the catchment area of this club, calls themselves a supporter of our game, and won't have a bar of it because of the relative trivia of name or colours is absolutely pathetic.

It's going to be hard enough and we're going to have enough flogs in this city death riding us for those who purport to love our game to not get behind the Giants.

Hey G&F, thanks for the report.
Just wondering if you can give any details about the back of the jumper?
havent seen any pics from behind. Any lettering on the back of the neck?
Is the back charcoal or orange? Is Skoda logo on the back?
I know it might seem trivial, but I'm a footy jumper aficionado and would much appreciate any info.

As for jumping on board - I'm still a little on the fence. might give it a few days and see if it grows on me.

Hey G&F, thanks for the report.
Just wondering if you can give any details about the back of the jumper?
havent seen any pics from behind. Any lettering on the back of the neck?
Is the back charcoal or orange? Is Skoda logo on the back?
I know it might seem trivial, but I'm a footy jumper aficionado and would much appreciate any info.

As for jumping on board - I'm still a little on the fence. might give it a few days and see if it grows on me.

i would also like to see the back of the jumper...

it has grown on me, i am on board:thumbsu:

a little like the power jumper in time may become more traditional (15-20 years) once they have captured the imagination of a generation.

i'm excitied

G&F, did the officials give a timeline or rough estimate as to when we can expect the Mascot/Logo and Team Song to be released? What about the away jumper featuring blue? And wasn't Canberra going to be somehow incorporated into the jumper for those games ... any idea when all of that info is coming out?

Hopefully fans don't have to wait another 12 months.

I wonder if the team will have a song to sing during the NEAFL season?

Didn't have any of those announcements last night. I guess they'll release that in stages over the coming months - nothing like a continuous flow of new information to keep GWS in the public mind.

For those who haven't seen it yet, check this out:
[YOUTUBE]MsrCdLmzfiY[/YOUTUBE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back