ABC presenters and their pay - do you care? Should we know?

Remove this Banner Ad

because your "interested public" is not same as for the public interest.

you dont appreciate that your talking points are straight from the Rupert Murdoch "why should newslimited have to compete with free news, and the news aggregators like google. "

and IPA and HR Nicholls want to list SBS and at a minimum News24, and ABCKids! and ABC2.

So all of these soundbites, you are just a filter for Murdochs interests.

= FAIL

Yes, I get an 'issues sheet' from Rupert every morning, so that I can promote his interests.

The ABC is not a revenue raising enterprise.
I am talking about the FTA networks.

They receive both preferential regulation which helps them corner the market and a number of massive cash injections from successive governments over the last 15 years.

Hard to complain about the ABC, whilst using free market principles as your justification.

They receive both preferential regulation which helps them corner the market and a number of massive cash injections from successive governments over the last 15 years.

Hard to complain about the ABC, whilst using free market principles as your justification.

+more contradictions.

they never paid (murdoch/packer) the free market rates for the spectrum originally. it does not matter it went thru other hands like stokes or bond or was listed, or whomever owns it now.

+ given digital channel market spectrum free.

ok, we can argue who owns the analogue/digital spectrum.

BUT, the proprietors conceded spectrum was part of the commons, do be divvied up by the gov't. OK, ostensibily, to be regulated. but really, it was so they could have monopoly powers.

so, the proprietors, or as they like to call themselves, entrepreneurs, lifting up society, they are not altogether intellectually rigorous with their argument when they look to take one part libertarian market friedmanism, and then want a central body to enforce a property right of monopolies. how does that work?

i cant even remember the point(s) is wished to make. as usual, blackcat is inscrutable.

Tony Jones - Q&A, Lateline host - 350k
Juanita Philips - newsreader - 320k
Richard Glover - 702 Drive host - 290k
Jon Faine - 774 Mornings host - 290k
Leigh Sales - 7.30 host - 280k
Chris Uhlmann - 7.30 political editor - 250k
Fran Kelly - Radio National Breakfast host - 250k
Barry Cassidy - Insiders, Offsiders host - 240k
Virginia Trioli - ABC News Breakfast host - 230k
Annabel Crabb - online political reporter, Kitchen Cabinet host - 220k
Gerard Whateley - sports broadcaster - 220k
Michael Rowland - ABC News Breakfast host - 150k

http://www.news.com.au/national/on-...stars/story-e6frfkp9-1226763878649#mm-premium

More info also at Crikey.

Another interesting factoid is that 214m of the 453m national wage bill is spent in Ultimo.

So anyway, now that this info is out there, after years of resistance from ABC, do you care how much the presenters are paid, and do you think that the public has a right to know how taxpayer dollars are being spent on wages at the ABC?

I think it would be fair to know the total payments that are made out to the presenters ($274,0000, in this case) but to reveal the actual salary of each employee is disrespectful, in my opinion.

I think it would be fair to know the total payments that are made out to the presenters ($274,0000, in this case) but to reveal the actual salary of each employee is disrespectful, in my opinion.

you mean let them be NSA and take metadata?

i dont think you dont give the salary details cos it affects the middle classes bourgeoisie mores of dont discuss your salary. :rolleyes:

i think it is an area, the gov't as the gov't, have no place in that part of peoples lives. except for them contributing tax, this information is for the sole context of the person. no one esle. he/she can do with it what they wish

you mean let them be NSA and take metadata?

i dont think you dont give the salary details cos it affects the middle classes bourgeoisie mores of dont discuss your salary. :rolleyes:

i think it is an area, the gov't as the gov't, have no place in that part of peoples lives. except for them contributing tax, this information is for the sole context of the person. no one esle. he/she can do with it what they wish

I am having trouble understanding what you've just said. I feel like we're arguing two different points. Could you rephrase?

I see what you are saying. Honestly though, most industries in this country are subsidised by the taxpayer one way or another.

Nevertheless, I wasn't complaining about the presenters salaries at the ABC. I was trying to explain why they are lower than the commercial networks.

my auntie with cats > jung > freud

this post goes out to skilts
in tradition of
hird > voss > buckley
Among those, only Freud could actually write. He still suffers the indignity of being grossly misrepresented by his acolytes. He probably deserves this though. Mind you, if you were to introduce me to your auntie, all of this could change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a 10 shareholder's point of view, it'd be interesting to see what Bolt is being paid to cop a ratings flogging from Barry every Sunday morning.
The serial vilifyer and practitioner of distortion is never likely to disclose his pay. Double standards are his stock in trade. With his media commitments and speaking engagements I'd guess he wouldn't be on much short of a million per annum. And with his wife also writing for the Hun that would probably take the family income to over the mil.

Well Bolt does seem to work flat out, does he live in Sydney or Melbourne?
He lives in a hole in the ground hiding away from reality so he can spruik his own version of his reality by holding everyone else up to rules that he will never apply to himself or his mates.

Bolt is not a journalist, his in an editorialist who provides an opinion, exact truth and reality don't matter.

He lives in a hole in the ground hiding away from reality so he can spruik his own version of his reality by holding everyone else up to rules that he will never apply to himself or his mates.

Bolt is not a journalist, his in an editorialist who provides an opinion, exact truth and reality don't matter.
Agree! However, more a propagandist than editorialist.

Better to be a filter for Murdoch's interest than the collectivists of "Friends of the ABC".

I briefly worked at the BBC (few weeks). Great bar they had there. Worse than Oz public service for wasting cash. Staggering.

Public interest? Yeah, nah. Cheap booze at the staff bar and paedo haven.

Better to be a filter for Murdoch's interest than the collectivists of "Friends of the ABC".

I briefly worked at the BBC (few weeks). Great bar they had there. Worse than Oz public service for wasting cash. Staggering.

Public interest? Yeah, nah. Cheap booze at the staff bar and paedo haven.

good new avatar meds. Fez(s) are underrated imo. great mustache too. leaves hipsters for dead

Black tie and fez. Eggs and Bacon.

How many employees does the ABC have? BBC has over 20k. Staggering waste of cash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back