NO TROLLS Aboriginal names for AFL clubs

Do you like the idea of giving Aboriginal names to clubs?

• Yes

Votes: 68 42.8%
  • No

Votes: 91 57.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How does it even work.

I’ve not looked into it but presumably no current geographic areas (eg, Melbourne or Essendon) corresponded with any Aboriginal geographic areas. Maybe only very roughly.

Just silly.
Think of it this way.

There was a time when there were regional zones allocated to VFL SANFL WAFL etc clubs.
Why couldn't the same be applied to Indigenous geographic areas? It would be linking the past with the present.

Would just need a bit of thinking through, but not a roadblock by any means.

I’m not sure about other capital cities, however Perth has quite a few suburbs and areas with their traditional names with little to no anglicisation. So on that level it’s not really something I see as problematic.

We have suburb names that are common place here that no one bats an eyelid at when having to name them, so it isn’t that hard to imagine. It’s when they might change that the boomers and bigots get uppity about it.

I’m not sure about other capital cities, however Perth has quite a few suburbs and areas with their traditional names with little to no anglicisation. So on that level it’s not really something I see as problematic.

We have suburb names that are common place here that no one bats an eyelid at when having to name them, so it isn’t that hard to imagine. It’s when they might change that the boomers and bigots get uppity about it.
A fair % of regional WA has traditional names, that's why most of the wheatbelt towns end with "in" and lots of south west places end in "up".

Not a fan but I'm a traditionalist.

If you’re a traditionalist you’d be okay with the traditional names then, right? ;)

Plus another poster pointed out Geelong is an anglicised naming of Djilang anyway so you should have no problems.

I think the AFL is well and truly at the forefront of virtue signalling on every subject imaginable.

Any more and they will be replacing footballs with boomerangs and commissioning Yothu Yindi to remake all the club songs.
Its cheaper than actually doing something meaningful

And a bit of a laugh about virtue signalling.
I have a friend who considers herself an ally (not woke though, just does the bare minimum to avoid fights)

She got nominated for the c7 young achiever awards. She used her local aboriginal name as place of birth, and c7 ran with her profile as being indigenous....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like it but every club should do it, it's weird how half do it half don't
I'm not sold on the idea yet, but could be convinced. As another poster said, it's weird having a mix of Aboriginal and standard club names. Do it all or none.
But then wouldn't people complain that it's too much change in one go and they don't understand who is who? I do wonder if the AFL are intentionally drip-feeding the name changes year by year to reduce the objections by slowly getting people used to the idea.

I do agree that all clubs should do it in one go though. The world doesn't have to pander to people who are uncomfortable with change. I hope the remainder of clubs do it by next year.

But then wouldn't people complain that it's too much change in one go and they don't understand who is who? I do wonder if the AFL are intentionally drip-feeding the name changes year by year to reduce the objections by slowly getting people used to the idea.

I do agree that all clubs should do it in one go though. The world doesn't have to pander to people who are uncomfortable with change. I hope the remainder of clubs do it by next year.
By pandering to 3% of the population? Interesting

Don't have an issue with it, but I must admit if my club had one and it was something god awful like St Kilda's (Euro-Yroke) I'd probably feel differently haha.

Okay, that's probably not fair on whatever the original meaning is etc, but its an odd looking word that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, albeit that's subjective.

If you’re a traditionalist you’d be okay with the traditional names then, right? ;)

Plus another poster pointed out Geelong is an anglicised naming of Djilang anyway so you should have no problems.

Nah, Geelong will always remain Geelong as it should be.

As a Fremantle supporter, who have a pretty recent history, I can understand why you'd be happy for your teams name to be changed on the fly.
I'd personally prefer WALL-E but hey, that's just me. Walyalup it is.

It annoying at first this time of year when you are looking at fixtures months ahead and can't figure out who you are playing.

But overall it is a good initiative I think, we'll all come to learn them and it adds something to the vibe of Sir Doug Nicholls round.

I do wonder what happens though for example with some suburban teams that are close together - do those suburbs have different indigenous identities? If not, I guess having a name based on the mascot (something else we associate with the area/team) could work just as well.

Last edited:
Back