Academy v Father-Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect that might count as draft tampering.

It depends...

Look at Phil Scully at GWS if AFL head office isn't sold on your club.
Look at Todd Viney at Melbourne if AFL head office is fine with your club.

Rumours Sydney use this loophole to get Tom Mitchell. If Sydney can use COLA to get buddy and Tippett , I won't be surprise they do some under table stuff too. Just make sure you don't get caught .

I think you're a bit confused - Sydney paid Tom Mitchell up front to get him. Not rumours, not draft tampering, not under the table. It was literally reported in national papers at the time and has already been commented on in this thread:

It happened with Tom Mitchell in his draft year. GWS offered him a big contract immediately to pick them (as GWS got their choice of young talent prior to the draft) and in order for Mitchell to pick the Swans the Swans had to match, or get very close to matching the contract offer GWS gave him. For a few years Mitchell was probably the highest paid teenager in the competition because of it.

Not quite - GWS were committing to him as the top pick. He wasn't eligible for prelisting.

The first two years are set and no club can change that but GWS was offering an immediate contact extension for an extra three years at significant coin, and I believe Sydney ended up doing one for two years. In both cases it was an extension - the first two years were still at the draftee set wage.

North could do this with Blakey completely legally.

Yeah love Scotts work for our NEAFL team, would like to keep him but will look forward to see him in the U/18's next year. Hopefully can keep hold of him.
I'm not sure either way on this one. By all reports, you guys have done well with his development.

Can't you offer Blakey senior Job security and lots of money to select North .
Funnily enough, there were a few north posters that were interested in Blakey as head coach before the re-signing of Scott. That was shot down rather quickly.

What do you mean the integrity of the Father/Son rule?

He can still go to North under the Father Son rule if he wants.
Correct. He is 100% eligible to play for North under the Father / Son rule, and there would be absolutely nothing Sydney could do about it.

Rumours Sydney use this loophole to get Tom Mitchell. If Sydney can use COLA to get buddy and Tippett , I won't be surprise they do some under table stuff too. Just make sure you don't get caught .

Perhaps the fact CoLA wasn't used to recruit either of those players might make you even more surprised then.

Just read that article, good on him getting on a list.

His old man didn't play enough games under current F/S, so it is good he can get an opportunity.

Just read that article, good on him getting on a list.

His old man didn't play enough games under current F/S, so it is good he can get an opportunity.

Good on him for getting on a list, but how in the hell is a kid who would always have played the game, and in fact, has been playing the game, a Cat B selection?

Good on him for getting on a list, but how in the hell is a kid who would always have played the game, and in fact, has been playing the game, a Cat B selection?
Zone selection, not sure, he also played other sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zone selection, not sure, he also played other sports.

From the article

Jack Buckley, who lives in Sydney, was a member of the Sydney Swans academy in his mid-teens but drifted from the game for a period before returning to play football.

He played for the UNSW Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs this year and was called up to play NEAFL games for the Giants, playing his maximum quota of fill-in games.

NSW and Queensland clubs have a zone draft before the rookie draft where they can take local kids (limited by state) and put them into Cat B slots. This has been going on for decades.

It's largely subsumed by the academy now, it only really comes into play for mature agers and the very occasional exception. I don't think anyone good has come through since the academies started.

As per the article, Buckley would've been a Sydney academy player if it wasn't for giving up AFL completely for a period of time, so I guess he falls through a gap in the academy rules.

He played in 2016 and won the u/19 b&f for the sydney local comp. Unfortunately we will have to eventually give him up though because no doubt his 'home' will come calling. Just weird they never draft their kids to begin with.

It depends...

Look at Phil Scully at GWS if AFL head office isn't sold on your club.
Look at Todd Viney at Melbourne if AFL head office is fine with your club.

I think you're a bit confused - Sydney paid Tom Mitchell up front to get him. Not rumours, not draft tampering, not under the table. It was literally reported in national papers at the time and has already been commented on in this thread:

North could do this with Blakey completely legally.

This will 100% be on the cards given the chasm of cap space we have.

$300k, 3 year contract extension on the first day of pre-season training.

Much rather the academy as the clubs have worked with the best players and not ones who have fathers that have already pathed the way for them. Would like to see the amount of years on the academy list dropped for kids who develop later though

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Much rather the academy as the clubs have worked with the best players and not ones who have fathers that have already pathed the way for them. Would like to see the amount of years on the academy list dropped for kids who develop later though

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Think youll find the Northern clubs want everyone to have academies in their own region. It would only benefit the link between grassroots and the clubs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Question to North Melbourne fans but I was thinking about it today and I was wondering if you guys could even afford Blakey in terms of points?

I mean, lets say for instance North Melbourne comes 17th in 2018, which is quite possible. That means North Melbourne has picks 2, 20, 38 and 56 equalling a grand total of about 4100 points.

Now, at pick 2, North picks lets say for argument sake Izak Rankine.

Now North only has picks 20, 38 and 56 totaling about 1500 points.

Now, lets say that both Tarryn Thomas (North Melbourne acadmey player) and Nick Blakey will go about picks 4 or 5 respectively.

North Melbourne would have to use every single one of their left over picks just to get Tarryn Thomas. If Thomas continues to perform really well, and so does Blakey, I don't think North would have a hope in hell of being able to afford both of them.

What are North Melbourne's fans thoughts on this?

Question to North Melbourne fans but I was thinking about it today and I was wondering if you guys could even afford Blakey in terms of points?

I mean, lets say for instance North Melbourne comes 17th in 2018, which is quite possible. That means North Melbourne has picks 2, 20, 38 and 56 equalling a grand total of about 4100 points.

Now, lets say that both Tarryn Thomas (North Melbourne acadmey player) and Nick Blakey will go about picks 4 or 5 respectively.

North Melbourne would have to use every single one of their left over picks just to get Tarryn Thomas. If Thomas continues to perform really well, and so does Blakey, I don't think North would have a hope in hell of being able to afford both of them.

It depends if we rate Rankine over Blakey or not. We can always trade in a future first to get the required additional points, plus who knows whether a player wants to leave as well via trade or compo pick with fa, giving north additional picks and points in those situations.

I'm sure all clubs involved are across all the hypotheticals.

I know posters don't rate north's list, but I extremely doubt that they will finish second last.

It depends if we rate Rankine over Blakey or not. We can always trade in a future first to get the required additional points, plus who knows whether a player wants to leave as well via trade or compo pick with fa, giving north additional picks and points in those situations.

I know posters don't rate north's list, but I extremely doubt that they will finish second last.

Well 17th was just a guess. I think North will finish in the bottom 4.

Points will be interesting though as Blakey and Thomas are going to be quite expensive, especially if you guys use your first draft pick on someone else.

Well 17th was just a guess. I think North will finish in the bottom 4.

Points will be interesting though as Blakey and Thomas are going to be quite expensive, especially if you guys use your first draft pick on someone else.
A lot depends if their form tapers out, which is a possibility, especially considering they are both growing still, which can affect form, muscle growth etc.

Unlikely a team will trade a 2018 first round pick for a 2019 first round pick. And if you do, it will a late first rounder, which would be a big over pay.

Better off just matching and take a deficit in to next years first round draft pick.

However, there's a lot to play out between now and next year. If we go off say D_P_S's top 30 as of now, Tarryn Thomas is pick 8. And IF Blakey nominates North (very, very, very slim chance), he's currently rated at pick 19.

2018 Rankings

1. Max King - Sandringham Dragons/VIC M
2. Jack Lukosius - Woodville-West Torrens/SA
3. Izak Rankine - West Adelaide/SA
4. Ben King - Sandringham Dragons/VIC M
5. Jack Bytel - Calder Cannons/VIC M
6. Sam Walsh - Geelong Falcons/VIC C
7. Jye Caldwell - Bendigo Pioneers/VIC C
8. Tarryn Thomas - North Launceston/TAS
9. Matthew Green - Sporties Spitfires/NT
10. Ian Hill - Perth/WA
11. Zane Barzen - Murray Bushrangers/VIC C