Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll pay that Norf are always hunting for a headliner that they can roll out to sign up members and sponsors but they gutted their list at the end of 2016 to try and turn their aging players into draft capital. That's when they threw their 2015 prelim finalist making list into a rebuild.

We even picked up Petrie out of the bloodletting.

No. They didn’t anticipate staying down the bottom for multiple seasons. It was a failed restumping that led to mid table finishes in 2018/19.

Brad Scott got fired in 2019 for telling the board they needed to rebuild because they didn’t have the stomach for it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No. They didn’t anticipate staying down the bottom for multiple seasons. It was a failed restumping that led to mid table finishes in 2018/19.

Brad Scott got fired in 2019 for telling the board they needed to rebuild because they didn’t have the stomach for it.

And the person with the largest part of responsibility for that situation (and much of the ongoing list issues at North) is now the second in command of the competition itself.

Safe hands indeed.

Are you sure that is how it went down? Who knows what Brad Scott told the Board and why he was fired? I don't remember anything leaking out about that.

Even at the lowest point in their rebuild i don't think North were in as bad a shape as we are now in terms of overall quality of their list projecting over a 5 year future time horizon or (said differently) expected results over the next 5 years all things being equal. We are putting a middle aged team on the park (because we have so few young players you can justify giving a game to) and still getting smashed. The lowest point in a rebuild in terms of onfield results usually comes when you have the group of young players and you fully turn the wheel and play them en masse trying to get them past 50 games of experience. Which is where North are and were last year. We are not even close to that point yet. We needs another 2 or 3 drafts (assuming we get everything right in those drafts) or more to get to that point. Right now we are just treading water and trying to stay afloat while we accumulate more draft picks. And then the multi year process of developing and blooding them begins.

I'll pay that Norf are always hunting for a headliner that they can roll out to sign up members and sponsors but they gutted their list at the end of 2016 to try and turn their aging players into draft capital. That's when they threw their 2015 prelim finalist making list into a rebuild.

We even picked up Petrie out of the bloodletting.
And this is why getting "ruthless" with the list, while theoreticaly makes sense, rarely leads to great results.

Are you sure that is how it went down? Who knows what Brad Scott told the Board and why he was fired? I don't remember anything leaking out about that.

Even at the lowest point in their rebuild i don't think North were in as bad a shape as we are now in terms of overall quality of their list projecting over a 5 year future time horizon or (said differently) expected results over the next 5 years all things being equal. We are putting a middle aged team on the park (because we have so few young players you can justify giving a game to) and still getting smashed. The lowest point in a rebuild in terms of onfield results usually comes when you have the group of young players and you fully turn the wheel and play them en masse trying to get them past 50 games of experience. Which is where North are and were last year. We are not even close to that point yet. We needs another 2 or 3 drafts (assuming we get everything right in those drafts) or more to get to that point. Right now we are just treading water and trying to stay afloat while we accumulate more draft picks. And then the multi year process of developing and blooding them begins.

Yes, I am sure. It is common knowledge and was reported on at the time or shortly after.

5a3edf935bde976fbc5325b06b8a7407.jpg

Butler
Priddis
Mitchell - planned transition
Brophy - spud
Petrie - planned transition
Wellingham
Hill - medicare
Lamb - spud
Gorter - spud
Tunbridge - spud

I guess we were rebuilding in 2017🥴

Haha one of these things is not like the other - north had a lot of high end decorated talent leaving them, I'd say only butler & priddis are comparible, with wellingham prob the most unlucky exit (albeit not hugely surprising)

Haha one of these things is not like the other - north had a lot of high end decorated talent leaving them, I'd say only butler & priddis are comparible, with wellingham prob the most unlucky exit (albeit not hugely surprising)

I could do the same thing and write next Norths players they were all old and over the hill.

The point is, in 2016 North weren’t rebuilding.
Missing finals isn’t rebuilding, it’s no man’s land.

Rebuilding requires board/football department to be consciously aware they are bottoming out and their football strategy to be catered towards and extended stint down the bottom.

North started rebuilding in 2020.

What north did between 2016-2020 is more akin what hawthorn did 2016-2019 without the previous era of success.

I could do the same thing and write next Norths players they were all old and over the hill.

Rebuilding requires board/football department to be consciously aware they are bottoming out and their football strategy to be catered towards and extended stint down the bottom.

What north did between 2016-2020 is more akin what hawthorn did 2016-2019 without the previous era of success.
But I didn't note anything against the comparable players - my point was a majority of our turnover were a bunch of absolute potatoes who never made it, not ageing veteren stars nearing the end of their careers. I just don't think it's a very good comparison that's all.

RE. Conscious awareness - by that same measure, our rebuild didn't start until mid 2023.

But I didn't note anything against the comparable players - my point was a majority of our turnover were a bunch of absolute potatoes who never made it, not ageing veteren stars nearing the end of their careers. I just don't think it's a very good comparison that's all.

RE. Conscious awareness - by that same measure, our rebuild didn't start until mid 2023.

2 Brownlow medallist’s on the list for us. Our two main midfielders in that year.

My point was you can’t just come up with a list of players departing the club in any given year and say “x club is rebuilding look at this list of players let go”.

I’d say our rebuild tentatively started in 2021, we dipped our toes in and tried to have it both ways and it started in earnest in 2022.

Same with Hawks. It started in 2020 but they decided in 2019 to hit the draft and bring in talent to hedge their bets a little.

Wonder if Bucks would move to WA?

Reckon he'd be a no nonsense coach

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I always felt like Buckley was behind the curve in terms of game style and his thinking on the game.

I think he is a bit over rated as a coach to be honest.

I vividly recall pies of 2019-2020 trying to take things from Richmond and take things from us and just ended up a mish mash of a club without a real identifiable brand.

He’d be making 2-3 times in media what he got paid as a coach and with half the stress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if Bucks would move to WA?

Reckon he'd be a no nonsense coach

Would not be opposed to that. Love listening to him talking about football. And he just might find that missing piece second time around. Also very good with the kids. Schofield I would love to see take the reins but he might be hard as he is Simpsons assistant. Need new people

We just played 2 teams who are in contention for top 4 and legit premiership contenders.

Next week we play another top 4 hopefull.

The following week we play another top 4/premiership contender.

As shite as it is, the fact both games havent been 100+ floogings is improvement.

You need to raise the bar on your ambition. We managed to not lose by 100+ in 18 games last year. "Not 100+" cannot be your definition of par. We even managed to beat GWS and the Bulldogs in the corresponding fixtures last year. If we get smashed by the Bulldogs this week, we are going in the wrong direction, and fast. And without an injury crisis to blame.

Big difference in effort at least these first 2 games. Something to build on at least and we were a handful of basic skill errors from having a handful more reasonably high percentage shots on goal.

The real test is if Simmo can keep the boys fronting up and putting in like the first 2 rounds when we are a month or 6 weeks in and the young fellas are getting sore and the vets are at risk of switching off.

I really dispute that there's been a big uplift in this regard. The 65 point loss to GWS at home was not a good effort. By my count, the 20th worst home result in our history. That is, the kind of home loss we suffer once every 2 years.

I don't accept that the list is so bad that a sub-50 percentage is expected or acceptable. That is GWS-in-their-debut-season kind of stuff.

You need to raise the bar on your ambition. We managed to not lose by 100+ in 18 games last year. "Not 100+" cannot be your definition of par. We even managed to beat GWS and the Bulldogs in the corresponding fixtures last year. If we get smashed by the Bulldogs this week, we are going in the wrong direction, and fast. And without an injury crisis to blame.
The injuries from last 2 years can still he blamed as a domino effect.

I really dispute that there's been a big uplift in this regard. The 65 point loss to GWS at home was not a good effort. By my count, the 20th worst home result in our history. That is, the kind of home loss we suffer once every 2 years.

I don't accept that the list is so bad that a sub-50 percentage is expected or acceptable. That is GWS-in-their-debut-season kind of stuff.
There were lots of positives in our game let down by the last poor disposal that led to a turnover and a goal. And let down by some players that won't be there soon.

Lots more turnover in players to come over the years.

When it clicks, it'll click fast, which is years away unfortunately.

Not sure what else some are expecting.

I agree with that. I have made that point many times here to the collection of posters on here who denied that any rebuild was necessary (mostly because the club itself was refusing to use the word "rebuild" and was calling it a "transition" instead) until half way through last year when the club actually started using the word "rebuild" (mainly because it was no longer remotely plausible to deny one was needed) and then they all started using the word "rebuild" also and claimed that we have been secretly rebuilding for the last 3 years but didn't want to say it. Rebuilding is a distinct set of actions and choices you make that prioritise the future by accepting pain in the present by doing things such as trading out older players for draft picks, retiring non - tradeable older players early than expected, banking cap space by front loading contracts and picking a very young 22. All of those things are conscious choices that will result in a lower ladder position in the present. Missing the finals because you over rated your list but not doing any of the above is not rebuilding.

Lowest ever score by the once mighty West Coast Eagles at Marvel Stadium. Another half of uncompetitive football. No connection between the midfield and Forwards, just long hack kicks. Players who give half hearted efforts chasing. And get a game next week. We play with no intensity at all, with blokes just cruising around. All of that is on the senior coach.

We're a chance to be pumped by Sydney next week by even more than the 171 belting they gave us last year. Pyke needs to make a statement and remove Simpson. I'd even bring Woosh back as an interim coach like he did with Adelaide until we hire the next coach. Worsfold coached teams never rolled over.

The boys are not playing for Simmo.

They’re not even playing for each other…

There is a core leadership problem at West Coast.

The boys need a LEADER OF MEN.

Pyke needs to sack Simmo Monday, bring in Schofield as the caretaker coach until at least the mid-season break. This will give Schofield time to develop his own vision, create a rapport with the team and (if needed) the board will have u til then to lure DeannCix back home.

Lowest ever score by the once mighty West Coast Eagles at Marvel Stadium. Another half of uncompetitive football. No connection between the midfield and Forwards, just long hack kicks. Players who give half hearted efforts chasing. And get a game next week. We play with no intensity at all, with blokes just cruising around. All of that is on the senior coach.

We're a chance to be pumped by Sydney next week by even more than the 171 belting they gave us last year. Pyke needs to make a statement and remove Simpson. I'd even bring Woosh back as an interim coach like he did with Adelaide until we hire the next coach. Worsfold coached teams never rolled over.
Why Woosha? Let's go all out and get Mick Malthouse back in the box. He'll give the boys what for.

The boys are not playing for Simmo.

They’re not even playing for each other…

There is a core leadership problem at West Coast.

The boys need a LEADER OF MEN.

Pyke needs to sack Simmo Monday, bring in Schofield as the caretaker coach until at least the mid-season break. This will give Schofield time to develop his own vision, create a rapport with the team and (if needed) the board will have u til then to lure DeannCix back home.

Let Schofield coach out 2024 with his own ideas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back