Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impressive appointments in the coaching ranks.

Just having a stoppage coach will do wonders - it is baffling in the extreme that in Naitanui the club has the most influential stoppage player in the competition, but continued to do little in the way of exploiting that to the fullest.

Interesting title for Schofield - head of strategy and stoppage - sounds like new faces, with new ideas and (hopefully) a new approach.

At the very least Knights will have an awareness of how to get the best out of Kelly from their time together at Geelong.

Two coaches who have both recently reinvented midfield groups into top 4 challengers, based around winning contested ball and defending the corridor.

Definitely a step in the right direction and signals that it is an area the clubs wants to put greater focus upon going into 2022.

Concluded within days of Geelong and Port being eliminated as well - tidy bit of business by Nisbett.

Unfold the club.

Concluded within days of Geelong and Port being eliminated as well - tidy bit of business by Nisbett.

Obviously fair to say negotiations for these two appointments started some time ago and have only been confirmed once their two clubs have been eliminated from finals. The Schofield appointment was floated a couple of weeks ago but Knights only popped up on Sunday

With the previous news that Hickmott and Graham were leaving I had a slight concern that there was little news about what we were doing for replacements given that pair were the best credentialed of our assistants.

Clearly we were working in the background to secure two more than capable additions and listening to Simpson on AFL360 there’s a desire to improve as you would expect after a failed season

It’s a positive development

Just on Knights, we’ve often discussed how hard it is for us to attract coaches to leave Mexico to come across the country so this is quite a coup.

Would love to get Harry Taylor in as a defence or development coach. Already in WA and could join his great mate JK, as well as knights, TK and Jones.

Might be able to teach one of our talls how to play 1-1 at least.

You don't honestly believe that a head coaches' only role is strategy, do you?

Of course not, but Strategy would be one of the key components of it. It is starting to become clearer why Assistant coaches keep getting sacked and changed these days, they are the ones taking on most of the essential responsibilities to win football games.

If Schofield is head of strategy then one would need to ask what does Adam Simpson do? Is he head baby sitter at the club? Do we need him if Schofield is doing all the heavy lifting?

It’s to differentiate between him and Knights, so when we win the 2022 flag we know which assistant was actually responsible.

Of course not, but Strategy would be one of the key components of it. It is starting to become clearer why Assistant coaches keep getting sacked and changed these days, they are the ones taking on most of the essential responsibilities to win football games.
We had Phil Walsh for this for years. Pretty common role at a club. I imagine the head coach would give the parameters of the strategy they want to achieve and it's up to the assistant in charge to define how it works.

Pretty standard stuff across the business world in general.

Senior managers are meant to look a things from a top-down level while the rest of us plebs are the ones who get our hands dirty defining and implementing it. It's not the role of a senior manager to micro-manage and try to do everything, that's what the assistants are for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we’ve sacked 2 coaches and at least 3 experienced fringe players. Not sure if the new coaches answered adds in the west, but someone within WCE seems to agree with my strategy. I thought you and your mates said we couldn’t do this due to ‘soft cap’?.

the circle jerk is getting sensitive. Stick it out you’ll grow some resilience and hopefully a footy education
certainly not from you

If Schofield is head of strategy then one would need to ask what does Adam Simpson do? Is he head baby sitter at the club? Do we need him if Schofield is doing all the heavy lifting?
the ways of the world have passed you by
Senior people like me have self confessed plebs like bzparkes to fill in the details.

TK seems pretty happy via Instagram with the Knights acquisition but I guess he must be lying because apparently some anonymous Bendigo Bombers players think he is a knob.
As does Ryan with the appointment of Schofield. Liam Ryan wouldn't be playing WAFL, let alone be on an AFL list if it wasn't for Schofield.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

All moving in the right direction with these two coaches appointed.
Both midfield coaches obviously suggests a big focus on that part of the game, just need a couple of midfielder recruits to bolster the depth and put pressure on 'the favourites'?
(Cuzz lookin' like he's ready to go around again? :rolleyes: ...good on him though!)

Knights the dedicated midfield coach and Schofield 'strategy+stoppages' - that'd be localised strategy for midfield+around stoppages, while the head coach holds the game plan, brand of football or overall strategy I presume?
They both come with truckloads of experience, looking good, hope to see a big shake up around the midfield and to absolutely maximise Natanui's impact, he deserves one great year with a midfield that can do him justice!
Who are our forwards and backline coaches, need some root-routing treatment there?

Last edited:
All moving in the right direction with these two coaches appointed.
Both midfield coaches obviously suggests a big focus on that part of the game, just need a couple of midfielder recruits to bolster the depth and put pressure on 'the favourites'?
(Cuzz lookin' like he's ready to go around again? :rolleyes: ...good on him though!)

Knights the dedicated midfield coach and Schofield 'strategy+stoppages' - that'd be localised strategy for midfield+around stoppages, while the head coach holds the game plan, brand of football or overall strategy I presume?
They both come with truckloads of experience, looking good, hope to see a big shake up around the midfield and to absolutely maximise Natanui's impact, he deserves one great year with a midfield that can do him justice!
Who are our forwards and backline coaches, need some root-routing treatment there?
As others have mentioned, hopefully Pratt goes back to taking over the backline as he did a great job in 2018.

As for forwards, guess it's either Webster, or we'll bring in another coach as Simpson alluded to in 360 last night.

Will be interesting how Xons and West’s development will be now. Xon in particular stagnated to the point he was delist material. Looked very promising in his first two seasons

Like others have alluded to, I am concerned that the two assistants we have just appointed both come from teams that were embarrassed in their midfields in the finals.
are they up to speed with what is required to either contain the swarming sides or stop a run on?
Clarko did a job on the bulldogs, would be more looking at him or his assistants.
We desperately need to learn structures around stoppages, and be able to handball Kerr-like to an outside player on the move.

Like others have alluded to, I am concerned that the two assistants we have just appointed both come from teams that were embarrassed in their midfields in the finals.
are they up to speed with what is required to either contain the swarming sides or stop a run on?
Clarko did a job on the bulldogs, would be more looking at him or his assistants.
We desperately need to learn structures around stoppages, and be able to handball Kerr-like to an outside player on the move.
I get your concerns but the head coach would have the final say on strategy and so forth, as well as needing to consider the 2 sides themselves. Port and Geelong continually s**t the bed in finals, no matter who their assistants are. For me, it's their head coaches that are the main issue. At the very least, both teams are able to put themselves in a strong position to contend in finals and Simmo has the experience to take a team all the way.

Not concerned to be honest but I see where you are coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back