Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interview with Matthew Knights - first one I’ve seen since he was announced. Unfortunately it’s with Gossage so there’s some crap questions but highlight is around the 3.00 mark when asked about his new role -

“very much focused on specifically the contested ball all over the ground…..”

Bang

“very much focused on specifically the contested ball all over the ground…..”

Bang

Good! Very good!!

But it begs the very serious question: if he can see this and want to address it straight away as an outsider looking in, why the hell hasn't Simpson done anything about it for the better part of 3 years?

Good! Very good!!

But it begs the very serious question: if he can see this and want to address it straight away as an outsider looking in, why the hell hasn't Simpson done anything about it for the better part of 3 years?

Why do you assume he’s the one who’s decided contest ball needs addressing? It’s literally in his job title, which presumably the club has given to him.

Good! Very good!!

In nearly every post game interview in the second half of the season, Simmo said we had to get better in the contest.

My big fear is that he thinks our gameplan is fine if we just win the ball in the contest (which is probably true of every gameplan) but isn't taking into account the opposition outnumber or our slow ball movement. Getting Knights in won't work if we don't change the way we structure up and transition.

Good! Very good!!

It’s the role he was being tasked with, among other things, after discussions with Simpson and Vozzo rather than him saying he wanted to address it

I don’t think there’s any doubt the club have realised it’s an issue and are actively planning to fix it, even if it’s come a bit belatedly.

Why do you assume he’s the one who’s decided contest ball needs addressing? It’s literally in his job title, which presumably the club has given to him.

If the midfield coach and/or the head coach don't decide contested ball needs addressing, then who does? 😂

Either Knights is making an astute early judgement, or Simpson has been complacent in what he values in his team. Or both.

In nearly every post game interview in the second half of the season, Simmo said we had to get better in the contest.

And to that end, what exactly has he done to address it?

Thats like the time Simpson tried to chalk up our lack of tackling due to "tackling efficiency"

Talk is cheap

If the midfield coach and/or the head coach don't decide contested ball needs addressing, then who does? 😂

Either Knights is making an astute early judgement, or Simpson has been complacent in what he values in his team. Or both.

Richmond in 2019 and 2020 weren’t a particularly strong clearance/contested possession side.

In 2021, the stand rule shifted the importance of contested possession so sides like us and Richmond who used zone defences were found out when they couldn’t win enough footy

Sure, we were slow to move on rectifying that during 2021 but the positive here is that it’s being addressed

Well, it took him 2-3 years, but better late then never I suppose

Praise be to Adam for his swift, decisive action 😉

We had Adrian Hickmott as stoppage and contested ball coordinator in 2018 and 2019. And possibly 2020, given his official role that year was reserves coach, before the reserves comp was cancelled.

Perhaps someone with more footy clues than me can suggest how you actually improve contested ball around the ground?

Are all players capable of it? Is it just attitude or having it as an objective? Are some players incapable of winning contested ball?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s hired a new assistant and given him responsibility for stoppages and contested ball.

The club review would have identified that they were the third worst team last year in winning contested ball and hired a coach to address it.

I wanted Simmo gone after this years shi show but at least we've seen a full reinvention of the assistants. In fairness Simmo is a great ambassador for the club so provided he lets these new blokes drive the agenda I guess it could all work out ok.

Richmond in 2019 and 2020 weren’t a particularly strong clearance/contested possession side.
Clearance and CP numbers can be a bit misleading though. Richmond rarely lost a 50/50 ball outside of stoppages and they usually seemed to generate these ground ball contests in dangerous positions on the ground. They’re a very strong contested side IMO, but deliberately played an anti-stoppage game to prevent the opposition from being able to reset and release pressure. So it reflects as low CP, low clearance.

That was a very interesting interview with Knights posted above.

He mentions:

- Is in Perth at the moment doing his lockdown.
- He Schoey and Simmo have spoken about their plans for next year already and will be bill be doing a catch up with all the coaches soon.
- He will be in charge of the contested ball work at CBD's and Schofield will be in charge of contested possessions around the ground.

To me that is clear as day that the club is finally going to have contested ball work as a priority especially have 2 experience coaches in charge of that role. Simmo sounds excited with the interviews he has done so to me sounds like he has a plan and change is needed.

That was a very interesting interview with Knights posted above.

He mentions:

- Is in Perth at the moment doing his lockdown.
- He Schoey and Simmo have spoken about their plans for next year already and will be bill be doing a catch up with all the coaches soon.
- He will be in charge of the contested ball work at CBD's and Schofield will be in charge of contested possessions around the ground.

To me that is clear as day that the club is finally going to have contested ball work as a priority especially have 2 experience coaches in charge of that role. Simmo sounds excited with the interviews he has done so to me sounds like he has a plan and change is needed.

That was exactly my take on it. I also think the SPP could be a Schofield suggestion. To sort out the clubs woes with not winning contested ball and ground ball the playing list also needs looking at.

Perhaps someone with more footy clues than me can suggest how you actually improve contested ball around the ground?

Are all players capable of it? Is it just attitude or having it as an objective? Are some players incapable of winning contested ball?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Some players are naturally gifted in this department but for the most part it is purely a want thing, all players can do it when required and it is sadly lacking that commitment to want at the Eagles. That is what will really be addressed, the complete buy in to do it at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back