Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea why our coaches can't see this and make a change? Their system has been well broken since at least mid 2021 (though some coaches figured it out in 2019 and 2020).

To be honest, I'm baffled here as well, as it is not something that has just popped up recently - there has been plenty of time to work on it.

I can only speculate that the lack of pace in the back half convinces the coaching group that having an extra behind the ball is worth the cost of allowing opponents an extra in the middle.

If that is the case then it opens up all kinds of questions in regard to why the composition of the defence hasn't been turned over to address that deficiency.

Was good to see Simmo addressing the fumbling and contest being poor and still trying to address it. As he said it's a no fumble league and our mids and players in general fumble way too much. Going to be interesting to see Culley, Ginbey, Yeo and NicNat in the midfield rotation and see if the contest is still s**t. That would be a worry. Midfield has been a work in progress for a while.

Incorrect, we have show for multiple years we are arguably the worst club in the league for contested ball. The stats also show this.
We can talk better set ups, etc etc until the cows come home but right now we don't have a hungry list of players who want the ball at all cost, we are easily pushed aside and this all comes back to the coach.
Not being in the inner sanctum once can only have an opinion but I don't believe we have strong non negotiables in our plans. The only way game plans work is to have very tough non negotiables. Do it or move on type of stuff. 99.99% will buy into that type of non negotiable.
I just don't believe we have any of them under Adam and because he has been there so long I am not sure he can implement them.
Adam is the coach and so be it. We are stuck with it one way or another. But I think this club needs a new coach, new message, new world.

I don't disagree with you that the poor output of the club is due to the coach and that things need to change off the field before real change can occur on it.

Just saying that when placed in one-on-one situations, the Eagles midfielders are capable of holding their own and can perform well above the level of their recent output.

West Coast had x5 players in 2022 that averaged over 8 contested possessions per game - the same number as Melbourne.

The Demons however averaged 27 more contested possessions per game than the Eagles due to their superior post-stoppage game that simply gets more players to more contests.

The contested possession figures for the club are a product of system, just as much, if not more than personnel.

So you mean to tell me, that in some 150 years of football, Simpson is putting together a super secret new game style that nobody else has apparently ever seen before, to beat other teams?

I am sorry, but, LOL. That's as funny as it is ridiculous.

Look at the evidence in both the pre season and last week, barely any change has been made to a long established gameplan despite the spin coming from the club. whereas, for comparisons sake, Macrae was able to make massive game plan changes in the space of a pre season

So if you think that based on what we are seeing that there is some secret new state of the art gameplan being cooked up in the west coast strategy room, you are either very naive or very gullible

Did I say he was putting together some 'super-secret' plan?

You don't understand football if you seriously believe game plans don't evolve.

Good for Macrae, he got things up and running. For every Macrae, there's a David Noble, Teague, Ben Rutten, etc.

Do you seriously think these coaches sit there and go "Well, it aint working. Let's just keep doing the same thing anyway because after 150 years of football, there's nothing new to do".

And you call me naïve?

No not perfectly, but each and everytime you do it, yes you will make mistakes and it will cost goals but it is how you learn. Reverting back to how we always play might save you some face but thats about it.
In last week's press conference, as well as today's, Simpson mentioned that the senior player do indeed revert to the old style and that it's a lot more difficult to get guys ingrained in playing a certain way to suddenly play differently. He went on to say that it's a lot easier with younger/newer players, because they don't have old habits they need to change.

No one has said copy the Collingwood plan, they have said McRea became coach and one short pre season later their game plan was totally turned on it's head. The reality however is that most of the good sides all play a very similar game plan. So yes Adam should be looking at How Geelong, Collingwood, Carlton, Brisbane etc play and should be aiming at the least to be playing that type of plan.
I mean, how do you know he doesn't look at them?

For all the people harping on about our lack of contested ball last week, we supposedly had the second highest pressure rating.

Looks like the intent maybe is there but if players fumble the ball and can't execute basic skills, that's on them.

Garry Lyon giving the Eagles a serious bake after one game into the season is a good indication of where Simpson sits. The East Coast media are definitely watching. The panel all acknowledged the challenges the team had last year with Covid. But they weren't about to give us a free pass either. Once the media gets stuck into a vulnerable coach, they generally don't let go until something happens -- either the coach gets sacked or the team picks up.

I reckon this GWS game is serious. If we don't win, we could very easily be 0-9 or 0-10.

Coaches don't recover from that.

Senior players start to throw in the towel... junior players get frustrated and stop listening to the coach... fans start dumping trucks of manure at team headquarters...

Adam Simpson's career is on the line this week.
When has the club ever given 2 shits about what Garry Lyon has said?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he's right.

Rest Coast Eagles was damning.

If they don't get fired from that, they never will.
2nd highest for pressure acts across the weekend.

Don't fumble the ball constantly and make basic skill errors and we win the game comfortably.

Let's see what kind of response the players give on Sunday.

In last week's press conference, as well as today's, Simpson mentioned that the senior player do indeed revert to the old style and that it's a lot more difficult to get guys ingrained in playing a certain way to suddenly play differently. He went on to say that it's a lot easier with younger/newer players, because they don't have old habits they need to change.

I get it's a balancing act, but there would seem to be a fairly simple solution when senior players aren't doing what the coach wants that never seems to get used

FFS, the lamentors are out in force today!!!
There has been one game played and so many questions still to be answered.
Can Collingwood sustain that pace all season would be one.
Will the new pace burn out players mid season would be another.
Can we at least wait until mid season to see where the comp is at.
God sakes , be thankful we are not St Kilda like.

I remember listening to Simpson on ABC radio last year saying his new game style was going to be ahead of the pack. He also repeated throughout the interview the importance of field position. I don't think it was the same interview but sonetime later I was intrigued when Simpson also said attacking from defence was an unreliable way of scoring.

I have tried to pull all these snippets of info together many times when watching the Eagles but I have no idea where the new game style when end up. I ain't holding my breath.

I don't disagree with you that the poor output of the club is due to the coach and that things need to change off the field before real change can occur on it.

Just saying that when placed in one-on-one situations, the Eagles midfielders are capable of holding their own and can perform well above the level of their recent output.

West Coast had x5 players in 2022 that averaged over 8 contested possessions per game - the same number as Melbourne.

The Demons however averaged 27 more contested possessions per game than the Eagles due to their superior post-stoppage game that simply gets more players to more contests.

The contested possession figures for the club are a product of system, just as much, if not more than personnel.

I agree they are capable mate. They just have not produced and that comes back to hunger.

That is all true but ultimately if it's a non negotiable all players will do it. If they don't they lose their spot. Thats the only way to get senior players to buy in. If Hurn was told you are under no circumstances to hold the ball up, kick side ways etc etc and it is non Negotiable Shannon. Then I have no doubt he would do as he has been told.
They are clearly allowed to go back to their habits because new habits are not being demanded yet.

I mean, how do you know he doesn't look at them?

For all the people harping on about our lack of contested ball last week, we supposedly had the second highest pressure rating.

Looks like the intent maybe is there but if players fumble the ball and can't execute basic skills, that's on them.

Yep good points, pressure rating can be skewed however. When we don't have the ball and we are constantly tackling, attempting to tackle the pressure rating is high. But we still don't have the ball. know what I mean?
The intent has to be there, but how much of an intent is what matters.
I am hunger is different in everybody. In football teams it must be across the board.

Honourable loss a good result or should we expect a win?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

TBH I would settle for us not just getting opened up like a rotted fish on transition ,every second time we turn the ball over in general play.

I'm preparing myself for disappointment however.

That's like saying "If we weren't so s**t, we would have won the game."

It's kinda meaningless.
It's where you're s**t that matters. In fact, if it's easily identifiable, you can fix it.

If you're a s**t at everything, then you have a serious problem.

Basic skills errors can at least be worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back