Oppo Camp Adam Treloar (Traded to Bulldogs 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listened to a podcast from mid September with Derek Hine being interviewed.

Based on Hines comments, it sounds like the potential move of Treloar, will mainly be to get high in the draft. The draft is apparently good for talls.

So I would say if we do bring players in, they will be the knives in a deal with the primary focus being high draft picks.
But then Bucks sounded like we were looking for ready made.

It's an interesting time re. trades and drafts. Port aside, the current top teams have risen or remained at the top more through trade than draft.

In hindsight he should’ve been rested from one of those games like Darcy Moore
We were planning to, but he done his hamstring in the first game of that block.

Feels like incredibly poor form to trade him. Such a quality character, and top notch player...only knock are the hamstrings. But back him in to get over that with his work ethic.
You don't trade him unless you can get a return that will significantly improve the team in the future. Sure there's an emotional attachment to players, but it's a business too, and something has to happen to shake things up a bit. There has to be an element of perhaps cold unemotional business analysis when it comes to options to improve the team, not just pure loyalty to our own as harsh as that might seem.

We would more than likely be after 2MP rather than Brodie but yeah, I like where you're going

Out of the two I'd prefer to address the potential midfield void directly with Brodie via the trade and it feels like it just fits better for both sides of the deal if Treloar does eventually decide he is happy to leave us and go to the Suns to be with his family for the next 2-3 years while Kim's career plays out, as Brodie would be immediately surplus to needs.

If we felt we needed 2MP then we'd have to find another way to bring him in, eg. player swap or draft pick or maybe even a three way trade, and I'd be wanting to spread his 1.2 mil per year across 3 years instead of 2 (maybe offer him $1.35m over 3 years instead of sticking with the $1.2m over 2 years that he is reportedly on now, if we really think he's worth bringing in).

Last edited:
Time will tell
But you keep basing things off one game

Big footy honestly

And mods ...get a life

For goodness sakes try to keep up.

Ladhams was reported for striking an opponent in the groin area. The joke was that we should put a "low-ball" offer to him, continuing the theme.

Capisce?

The big difference between Collingwood and StKilda in 2010 was that our midfielders were all goalkickers, with Didak Davis Beams Swan Sidebottom Thomas Pendlebury and Wellingham all kicking 15+ (plus Caff if you want to count him), compared to only Schneider Goddard Montagna and Dal Santo. Ironically our only midfielder who didnt impact the scoreboard was Luke Ball... who we picked up from StKilda!!

Treloars career best is 14...and that was when he was at the Giants. Its definitely a deficiency in his game.
Back then we rotated though the middle more and our midfielders got the chance to rest forward more often. Our game style back then also helped.

Treloar looks pretty good around the goals usually, if he rested forward more he’d score more.

that is the main reason they hired Ned Guy.

A combination of Gubby Allan and Derek Hine really screwed us.

The question I have is whether the Treloar deal was back ended due in some part to the Mayne and Wells deals? Two shocking deals by Gubby Allan.

I think the alleged salary cap issue could be a snowball effect from that?

Almost our entire list has had to be re-signed over that six-year period, including big money deals for Pendles, Adams, DeGoey, Moore, etc, so it's not a stretch to anticipate that we might have gone to Treloar and asked him to take a bit less in some years (eg. $600k instead of $700k) and have him recoup the difference in his final year (or two).

There's no doubt that the Mayne and Wells deals have been a millstone around our necks, although at least Wells had the potential to warrant what he was being paid (whereas Mayne never should have been offered $500k per year over 4 years to come over when he was already done and dusted at Freo).

If you're questioning the four year extension that Treloar and the club agreed to last year then any blame for that lies squarely on Ned Guy's shoulders.

True, and yet, 3 goal assists is still scheizen housen for a bloke who we want sending it inside 50 as much as Treloar.

Still, I do not want to trade him. I hope he stays.

If not, I'd prefer that we got a proven player who fills a gap than a high draft pick.

For example, a previous poster said that the Saints don't have anything to give us for Treloar. I don't agree. I'd prefer pick 15 and Jack Lonie to a pick 4-8 from another club, for example, because Lonie addresses a need IMO

In 2008, 9, 10 and 11 StKilda's top goal kickers without fail were always a combination of Riewoldt, Kosi, Milne and Schneider.

In 2010 there top 4 kicked 165 goals to our 136. We were lucky Riewoldt got hurt because he dropped about 30-35 goals off peak output.

But then Bucks sounded like we were looking for ready made.

It's an interesting time re. trades and drafts. Port aside, the current top teams have risen or remained at the top more through trade than draft.
Almost our entire list has had to be re-signed over that six-year period, including big money deals for Pendles, Adams, DeGoey, Moore, etc, so it's not a stretch to anticipate that we might have gone to Treloar and asked him to take a bit less in some years (eg. $600k instead of $700k) and have him recoup the difference in his final year (or two).

There's no doubt that the Mayne and Wells deals have been a millstone around our necks, although at least Wells had the potential to warrant what he was being paid (whereas Mayne never should have been offered $500k per year over 4 years to come over when he was already done and dusted at Freo).

If you're questioning the four year extension that Treloar and the club agreed to last year then any blame for that lies squarely on Ned Guy's shoulders.

Yeah, on SEN they mentioned yesterday that the extension had been kept very quiet. Your point is valid re taking less money.

I reckon WHE is a moral to be traded.

Yeah, on SEN they mentioned yesterday that the extension had been kept very quiet. Your point is valid re taking less money

It would be pretty sucky if we asked him to back end a contract extension (to take some
cap pressure off) and then try and trade him before the big money part of it kicked in. No wonder he is adamant he wants to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back then we rotated though the middle more and our midfielders got the chance to rest forward more often. Our game style back then also helped.

Treloar looks pretty good around the goals usually, if he rested forward more he’d score more.

His career average is 0.6 goals per game, so even taking into account his poor 2020 when he only kicked 1 goal its not a big average. I'd be interested to see how that compares with other regular high possession ballwinners in the AFL but I'd suggest he'd be on the low side in comparison to them.

(edit... just compared him to Merret who has kicked 46 goals in 142 games........and yikes Trelaor suddenly looks like Tony Lockett in comparison!!! )

Last edited:
His career average is 0.6 goals per game, so even taking into account his poor 2020 when he only kicked 1 goal its not a big average. I'd be interested to see how that compares with other regular high possession ballwinners in the AFL but I'd suggest he'd be on the low side in comparison to them.

(edit... just compared him to Merret who has kicked 46 goals in 142 games........and yikes Trelaor suddenly looks like Tony Lockett in comparison!!! )
Fast break mids are on afterburners most of the game - small wonder they don't get too many goals.

It’s not a high average but it isn’t that low either. Slightly above Pendlebury’s average.

Dane Swan was only 0.8 goals.

I think Treloar has showed he has the goal sense he just hasn’t had the opportunity to use it.

It’s not a high average but it isn’t that low either. Slightly above Pendlebury’s average.

I think Treloar has showed he has the goal sense he just hasn’t had the opportunity to use it.

He just lacks the polish of a Scott Russell or Paul Williams, who were both lethal at kicking goals on the run.

I have no inside information but here is my theory. I believe that the Firebirds move for Kim was on the cards 12 months ago before she got pregnant. So when it was suggested the Suns may consider trading picks 1 or 2 for Treloar (i.e. a Godfather offer) the Pies looked twice and checked with Adam if he wanted to move (even though the move was off because she was pregnant). The answer was no and everyone moved on.

Twelve months on and the Suns put pick 5 (and possibly plus) on the table for a 'player like Treloar' and now that the move for Kim was on and announced (albeit AFL media spoiled the announcement) the club may have looked twice, especially as they may be looking at ways to improve their draft position. Again Treloar has said no so everyone moves on. Except the media can't let it go (and notice that it has ramped up since Adam effectively blasted the AFL media for making the story about him instead of about Kim) so they are continuing to report on it. I mean his management has confirmed that the club has not communicated any intention to try and trade Adam, which is something they have apparently communicated to other players (i.e. Tom Phillips)

And I know a number, particularly Damien Barrett, keeps using his comments in his last year of the Giants to sell the idea that you can't trust Adam when he emphatically says he's not leaving. But here is the key difference. In that year the questions where asked during the season in an industry that cannot handle a player telling their club (let alone announcing it publicly) that they want to play elsewhere in the next season. This time around it is in the off season where it would be more beneficial to Adam if he wanted to go, to let it be known that he is potentially gettable given he would want potential suitors to budget him in especially with the unknowns about the salary cap and list sizes.

Treloars not a bad kick on goal its his delivery inside 50 that at times isnt great. Ideally i'd like to bring Merrett in without losing Treloar as Treloar in his own right is a gun but used wrongly in our team (too inside like a grunt play half the time).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back