Toast Round 17 = Western Bulldogs 77-89 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Weightman kicked 4 goals which makes him a good player on the night. Doesn't mean that Quaynor wasn't an effective player, although if your opponent kicks 4 goals, you have to balance the ledger which Quaynor certainly accomplished. Murphy was another who was outreached or outsmarted at times by a classy taller opponent, but I thought he was a real stalwart in our defence. He is fast becoming one of my favourite players.

A couple of those goals were in "junk time", but when the game was hot particularly in that 3rd quarter, Weightman was unsighted....

Bianco, WHE, possibly Mitchell or Adams

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
WHE - broken hand? So yeah that's him done.

No chance Mitchell gets dropped. Already mentioned my thoughts on Adams.

Big test for Cameron/Frampton/Cox against Darcy and Jackson. Let's see who is up to the challenge.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Why are people talking about Mitchell being dropped lol

That’s not gonna happen

If Adams never gets dropped
If Hoskin-Elliott never gets dropped

How on earth would Mitchell get dropped?

With the way our defence plays I think you need to take it as a unit. There's a lot of movement and aggressive positioning. There's risk there but it has worked so far. In the end we got the job done tonight as well.
Agreed. Plus sides take it in turns to have the ascendancy and kick a flurry of goals. It's largely a matter of the Pies dominating the game for longer periods and scoring more goals than their opponents. Both our defence and attack looked suspect at times during the game, but opening up a decent break on the dogs in the third quarter gave us sufficient space to win the game. With the start the dogs made, I thought we were in for a tough night, and in the end, we were challenged by a very good side but emerged victorious. Considering our lack of quality tall forwards and the Bulldogs class attack, it was a good win.

An excellent win. A little bit too close for comfort in the end, but the nature of the win and the difficulty of the opponent means I rate this win in the higher echelons of the 14 we've recorded so far. We shouldn't downplay how impressive that was.

Dogs were better than us early on and their aerial dominance with JUH and Naughton caused us significant problems. Even Weightman was on top of Quaynor initially. Good to see our defence adjust and eventually wrestle back control in our favour allowing us to play our natural run and carry game that we've become renowned for.

It's clear that most sides are struggling to handle the pace of our ball movement and transition. It's blistering fast when it's executed correctly. The turning point was late in the second quarter when Elliott started popping up and kicking a few goals. He's kicked 11 since the bye as opposed to 10 goals pre-bye so he's lifted significantly.

Nick Daicos' third quarter was terrifyingly good. He's almost not human the way he makes the game look so easy. We're blessed to have him.

The team is playing with a level of swagger that I haven't seen since the 2010/11 years. I think the way McCreery took the game on with a handball to himself and then to find a target in the forward 50 in the second quarter exemplified this confidence that we're displaying.

Overall, it's just a pleasure watching this incarnation of Collingwood. So many highlights and thrills, and just a joy knowing the team will play an entertaining brand no matter the scoreline.

Last edited:
Is the Dog’s board taking the piss talking about the umpiring?

So much of their first half scoring was a direct result of soft frees or stuff that should have been paid against them that was let go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vulnerable when the game was over. Didn't he see the 12 goals we kicked out of the following 14 in the game?
He probably doesn't even know we've had 2 x 6 day breaks in a row.....
Timing annd intensity of training sessions weren’t altered? Surprising by Macrae and Wade. I thought Jen said training sessions were based on the scheduling of the next match.

Six day break never bothered me. Just meant my extra session was earlier in the week.

Last edited:

So much of their first half scoring was a direct result of soft frees or stuff that should have been paid against them that was let go.
That prick Mathew Nicholls is a cheat and always *s us. How does he not pay a 50m against Keath for blatantly going over the mark when Elliot marked it at the end of the 2nd quarter? Most blatant 50m penalty of all time, how do you even defend that.

In all honesty I thought we got the rub of the green.
It was a strange feeling because normally I think we are getting reamed.

Lol, they were blown off the park in that 3rd quarter. Love how oppo supporters reference umpires after a loss. Look at the game, from towards the end of the 2nd quarter to the first 10 or so minutes of the last, we kicked 12 goals of the next 14 in the game. Plus they had a 25 point lead early in the game. I'm sure the umpiring was perfect then!!

Our best footy is almost unstoppable. With Checkers and Maynard returning we are close to full strength at the right time of the year.

Changes for Freo:
Out: WHE, Frampton
In: Maynard, Checkers

Big question: do we bring McStay in for Cox, or give him another week in the VFL?

It looked like we were trying a few different things in the last quarter when the game was already in the bag.
It will add to the end game techniques we can use.
If we are playing the GF and the oppo team is coming at us we need to know what to do.
We're already well practised at coming from behind, so it's good to practise winning from in front.
That said, I don't think we did it particularly well tonight, so there will be some lessons learned from it.

We decided to slow it down and go long down the line. Thats ok, but we needed more from Cox, Frampton and Cameron in the air, not only creating a contest but clunking some big grabs. We kept turning it over which was frustrating and the main catalyst for the those final 4 dog goals.

With the way our defence plays I think you need to take it as a unit. There's a lot of movement and aggressive positioning. There's risk there but it has worked so far. In the end we got the job done tonight as well.

This. Our defence early was a product of what was happening further up the field. You have to respect the Dogs mids, they were red hot early, winning contests and then smacking us on the outside. They changed angles with their kicking, catching our defenders, who are super aggressive, off guard.

Once Daicos, JDG and co got to work in the 2nd, it allowed IQ, Moore and Murphy to structure up far more effectively.

Geez, we looked red hot from late in the 1st to early in the last. Ran out of legs but we would handle the ball better if we had our time again.

Bank the 4 and on to the Dockers.

Our best footy is almost unstoppable. With Checkers and Maynard returning we are close to full strength at the right time of the year.

Changes for Freo:
Out: WHE, Frampton
In: Maynard, Checkers

Big question: do we bring McStay in for Cox, or give him another week in the VFL?
That would mean our rucks are Cameron and McStay.

Don't like the look or sound of that.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Lol, they were blown off the park in that 3rd quarter. Love how oppo supporters reference umpires after a loss. Look at the game, from towards the end of the 2nd quarter to the first 10 or so minutes of the last, we kicked 12 goals of the next 14 in the game. Plus they had a 25 point lead early in the game. I'm sure the umpiring was perfect then!!
Have you seen the VFL thread?
We’re no different.

He’s a quality player. Has great hands and clearly a player on the up.

Goal kicking is a little iffy, but the tools are there for him to be one of the best forwards in the comp.
He converts at a significantly worse rate than Harry McKay (OOTF excluded). "A little iffy" is awfully generous for someone who has 22.27 / ~45% accurate.

He has the tools to be a complete star, but he is a ways off yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back