Toast Round 17 = Western Bulldogs 77-89 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

With the way our defence plays I think you need to take it as a unit. There's a lot of movement and aggressive positioning. There's risk there but it has worked so far. In the end we got the job done tonight as well.
Agree.
Can’t have one without the other.
Sometimes we’re going to get exposed.
But we don’t really play on anyone.
So individuals are less of a concern.
Constantly changing and moving roles and players.
It must require so much communication.

But with it comes the insane speed and intercepts. The downside is that we can get burnt on the flip side at times.

Can’t have the way we play without a defensive structure like this.

That prick Mathew Nicholls is a cheat and always *s us. How does he not pay a 50m against Keath for blatantly going over the mark when Elliot marked it at the end of the 2nd quarter? Most blatant 50m penalty of all time, how do you even defend that.

Yep just change the rule, because it’s never going to be more clear cut than that.

Our best footy is almost unstoppable. With Checkers and Maynard returning we are close to full strength at the right time of the year.

Changes for Freo:
Out: WHE, Frampton
In: Maynard, Checkers

Big question: do we bring McStay in for Cox, or give him another week in the VFL?
Sidebottom any chance?

could play some minutes as the sub, Bianco sadly, bye for now.

I thought this was a real danger game for us becuase the dogs have been ok. I certainly would have taken a 2 goal win prior to the start, and when we started so poorly, 2 goals is a great outcome.

We cost our lead with two s**t kicks in the backline leading to goals. At AFL level no body should be kicking into the man on the mark when you're not in a rush to move.

Cox was ok and brought the ball to ground, took a few grabs. he could have had one or two and seriously, that's his job.

Our main issue is kicking it out to a target. Cox and Cameron need to get better at this. Although Cameron seems to be getting back to his early pre injury form.

Remember we still have some very hand players to come in and Degoey will be better for the run.

Bianco out for my mind. He just doesn't have the skills at this level.

In all honesty I thought we got the rub of the green.
It was a strange feeling because normally I think we are getting reamed.

I think they attempted to even it up in the second half and frankly did a mediocre job of it

The inconsistency was still rife.

They complained about Cameron’s throw while ignoring Libba’s in the first quarter…which led to a goal

Richards got a ridiculous 50 in the first

Only for Elliott to not get an absolutely obvious one later

Moore puts one arm around Jamara for half a second and gives away the free

Cox was literally held the entire night and didn’t get a free

In Collingwood games the free kick is almost never reflective of how the umpires actually performed. Our biggest issue in games is the frees that get ignored that really should have been paid. Both against the oppo and for us. It’s maddening and is happening weekly now

Funny old game I thought. Played average for most of the 1st half, but obviously still in it at halftime. Flick the switch and it's just about game over. Sign of a very good side.

On the umpiring, I just think there's a complete lack of consistency across the board and you'll get that with 4 different interpretations of the laws of the game.

This is certainly a fun ride.

Our main issue is kicking it out to a target. Cox and Cameron need to get better at this. Although Cameron seems to be getting back to his early pre injury form.
I noticed many a long clearing kick to a contest either fall short of Cox/Cameron or Cox and Cameron misread the distance. Lead to easy intercept marks by English etc when we should be bringing it to the ground at worst.

Maynard would have made the difference.

Our defence was out of whack but held up.

Bruzzy is a lynchpin and his absence left a very big hole. Howe seemed undersized at times and so did Murph (fast becoming a favourite).

Our forward line mix was not ideal either. Putting Billy F. in attack was like fitting a square peg in a round hole.

Having said that, they were magnificent in the 3rd so arguably, we're nit-picking. The dogs are a good team.

Last edited:
That prick Mathew Nicholls is a cheat and always *s us. How does he not pay a 50m against Keath for blatantly going over the mark when Elliot marked it at the end of the 2nd quarter? Most blatant 50m penalty of all time, how do you even defend that.
Yep when other supporters call it out on the main board you know it's a free.

I noticed many a long clearing kick to a contest either fall short of Cox/Cameron or Cox and Cameron misread the distance. Lead to easy intercept marks by English etc when we should be bringing it to the ground at worst.
Yep, it seemed to happen all night.
Our forwards constantly overestimated the distance our players could kick the ball.
Accordingly, their players moved in front of our forwards and intercepted and spoiled.

Howe, Moore and Noble aren't particularly penetrative kicks.

Albeit, Cox was held up much of the night by one defender while a teammate drifted in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s Saturday morning, we are sitting top of the ladder having spent all season with atleast 4 best 22 in the sidelines. Currently 5 wins ahead of 4th which is insane… I’m going to enjoy this win. Make hay whilst the sun shines as they say. We are in this up to our eyeballs.

Now for Carlton to lose!

Absolutely. He hasn’t been the same since that video thing in round 3.
Best game since that.
He’s probably relieved that there are now 45 other peckers of AFL players doing the rounds and it’s taken the pressure off.

Yep, it seemed to happen all night.
Our forwards constantly overestimated the distance our players could kick the ball.
Accordingly, their players moved in front of our forwards and intercepted and spoiled.

Howe, Moore and Noble aren't particularly penetrative kicks.

Albeit, Cox was held up much of the night by one defender while a teammate drifted in.
Looking at some replays, the doggies actually blocked our talls running to the contest quite a bit, they place a smaller sized player who "pretends he's in the marking contest and English drifts in to clear space.

Not all the time, but enough. It's smart tactics and worked well for them

Finally watching the replay. In context of the game it's outrageous that we don't kick a goal for the last 15 minutes of the game! Not sure I can put myself through the last 15 knowing that 😂
If Jordy’s snap in the last had dribbled through and not hit the post then that would be one, then I reckon their momentum would have dropped off and we may have got a couple more.

Yeah I know, sliding doors and all that.

Moore puts one arm around Jamara for half a second and gives away the free

Cox was literally held the entire night and didn’t get a free.
I have to give Matthew Richardson a slap here; on the one hand he says of the JUH decision (paraphrasing here) “when you have an arm around the forward the umpires will pay that every time”, and then when Cox gets absolutely mauled in every direction it’s “you could even make the argument that that should have been a free”.

Ridiculous.

I have to give Matthew Richardson a slap here; on the one hand he says of the JUH decision (paraphrasing here) “when you have an arm around the forward the umpires will pay that every time”, and then when Cox gets absolutely mauled in every direction it’s “you could even make the argument that that should have been a free”.

Ridiculous.
If cox was treated the same as curnow, he’d win the Coleman

Ridiculous.
The guy has been stealing a living for years. He's as simple as they come and barely capable of understanding basic tactics, yet he's employed to do special comments. Clear proof that being a moderately likeable former player opens any door you want in the football industry.

The guy has been stealing a living for years. He's as simple as they come and barely capable of understanding basic tactics, yet he's employed to do special comments. Clear proof that being a moderately likeable former player opens any door you want in the football industry.
Have to agree but I do still like Richo. He’s like a happy Wookiee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back