Toast Round 17 = Western Bulldogs 77-89 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win in the end after that first quarter where we were nowhere.

Need Mihocek and McStay in as the Frampton/Cox combination does not work as talls in our forward line. Oh what l wouldn’t give for a gun tall forward instead of continuous stop gap measures year after year.

How many intercept marks did Quaynor have? Surely close to the record as l saw him plucking them all night.

Bianco had a chance last night to show something but fluffed it (again). Amazing how he hasn’t been delisted yet players like Poulter were let go (speaking of which he must have thought he was still a Collingwood player as that first touch he had was streaming forward our way).

Love how Markov goes about it. Sprinting down the centre numerous times, was great to watch. But highlight for me that was non Daicos was Beau handballing to himself reminiscent of Micky Conlan and streaming forward to be at the end of the chain to pass to Elliot who scored.

Onto next week.

Luckily we have a kick arse footy side.
Yeah but the problem becomes now it seems like one, like myself, has nothing to get up and at them about. I don’t know if the anxiety is good for me, such as was the case in the final 15 minutes and when we were 20 points down at a couple of times, but the thrill of roaring past them feels like an addiction. Might be a little dramatic, but it feels like when Collingwood wins, you’ve won tattslotto, and then find yourself asking “sh!t, so now what?” 🤦

Yeah but the problem becomes now it seems like one, like myself, has nothing to get up and at them about. I don’t know if the anxiety is good for me, such as was the case in the final 15 minutes and when we were 20 points down at a couple of times, but the thrill of roaring past them feels like an addiction. Might be a little dramatic, but it feels like when Collingwood wins, you’ve won tattslotto, and then find yourself asking “sh!t, so now what?” 🤦
That’s the joy of barracking for the best footy side in the world.

Adams must be in doubt to hold his spot. Great heart and soul player but his skills especially disposals are just not good enough.
He doesn't hurt the opposition with ball in hand. Especially if he plays forward. Mitchell and Adams cant be in the same side. Mitchell wins for me. I would much prefer McInnes to play the forward role.
This year he’s kicked goals and had a heap of a score involvements including hitting inside 50 targets and that’s in addition to his midfield time.
He’s not getting dropped.

Adams must be in doubt to hold his spot. Great heart and soul player but his skills especially disposals are just not good enough.
He doesn't hurt the opposition with ball in hand. Especially if he plays forward. Mitchell and Adams cant be in the same side. Mitchell wins for me. I would much prefer McInnes to play the forward role.

So given we are 14 and 2 and Mitchell and Adams have played in the same side in pretty much all of them, why can they not play in the same side?

Our key backs last night were given a bath albeit against two very good forwards. Worries me a little bit going into finals.
Won’t happen at the G.

This year he’s kicked goals and had a heap of a score involvements including hitting inside 50 targets and that’s in addition to his midfield time.
He’s not getting dropped.
He's not getting dropped, but s**t he can be frustrating.

There was a stoppage last night, he stormed through and came out the other side and took a wild shot at goal from 50, only to up-and-under it and miss the lot (or maybe a behind I don't recall), he did so with Nick running the same line, ready for the handball receive.

With Tay we sometimes have to take the good with the bad. He'll get some real hard balls, lay some big time tackles and kick a nice goal (exclusively set shots), but sometimes he'll turn that thing over like a well done steak and throw goals away like they're Trillion Zimbabwean Dollar bills.

Weightman kicked 4 goals which makes him a good player on the night. Doesn't mean that Quaynor wasn't an effective player, although if your opponent kicks 4 goals, you have to balance the ledger which Quaynor certainly accomplished. Murphy was another who was outreached or outsmarted at times by a classy taller opponent, but I thought he was a real stalwart in our defence. He is fast becoming one of my favourite players.

Thought Noble had Weightman early. His impact was reduced when Quaynor went to him.

That’s the joy of barracking for the best footy side in the world.
Thanks Jmac, that’s true. I don’t know, I just oscillate between being totally despondent with footy and it being “only a game”, but being totally swept up in it being the only thing that matters. Could be the depression, could be the fact it’s the best sport in the world, or both. I’ve brought my tickets for this week, sitting with my daughter behind the goals, and I’m hoping to avoid wasting any more sard soap this week, since all she can say lately is “go cats!” 🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That prick Mathew Nicholls is a cheat and always *s us. How does he not pay a 50m against Keath for blatantly going over the mark when Elliot marked it at the end of the 2nd quarter? Most blatant 50m penalty of all time, how do you even defend that.

I thought Keath was right to run in and grab Elliott. Elliott took a few steps after completing the mark. Keath was just moving him back behind the mark.

Overall, thought the umpiring was pretty good.

Last edited:
Help me understand why the current team needs to be burdened by history, and the irrational pessimism of supporters accordingly.
Speaking of irrational: I didn't know Bigfooty posts or "irrationally pessimistic supporters" could burden our football team. So help me understand your rationality there. How does it burden the team? Does it make them shank kicks? How does that work? I'm all ears.

Mine was a statement of personal preference for the way in which our supporters behave and enjoy our success. I'm opposed to premature hubris and arrogance.

Hopefully I have helped you understand as you requested.

Thanks Jmac, that’s true. I don’t know, I just oscillate between being totally despondent with footy and it being “only a game”, but being totally swept up in it being the only thing that matters. Could be the depression, could be the fact it’s the best sport in the world, or both. I’ve brought my tickets for this week, sitting with my daughter behind the goals, and I’m hoping to avoid wasting any more sard soap this week, since all she can say lately is “go cats!” 🙄
You’re sitting with your daughter mate. That’s all that matters

Speaking of irrational: I didn't know Bigfooty posts or "irrationally pessimistic supporters" could burden our football team. So help me understand your rationality there. How does it burden the team? Does it make them shank kicks? How does that work? I'm all ears.

Mine was a statement of personal preference for the way in which our supporters behave and enjoy our success. I'm opposed to premature hubris and arrogance.

Hopefully I have helped you understand as you requested.
The need to recall our past failures as some noose that may impact any future performance is absurd. In what way does todays hubris have anything to do with past failure?

There are no links, except as a figment in the imagination of supporters who feel some hex is perpetuated with such optimism.

And your personal preferences, being offended by the optimism or elation of supporters with the prospects of their team, does not excuse your derision of these supporters.

They are as entitled to their optimism as your are to your pessimism.

Last edited:
The need to recall our past failures as some noose that may impact any future performance is absurd. In what way does todays hubris have anything to do with past failure?

There are no links, except as a figment in the imagination of supporters who feel some hex is perpetuated with such optimism.

And your personal preferences impinging on the optimism or elation of supporters on the prospects of their team, does not excuse your derision of these supporters.

They are as entitled to their optimism as your are to your pessimism.
You're not being rational Spinny.

How does me not liking premature cockiness and arrogance from our supporters about us winning the flag translate to me being pessimistic of our chances of winning the flag? It doesn't. That's an irrational conclusion you have drawn.

Not counting your chickens before they hatch is a fairly basic and good philosophy in life. Being arrogant and cocky is not "optimism" Spinny. It is arrogance and cockiness and I don't like it. Got it?

How does me expressing a dislike for posts of rash cockiness and hubris translate to me believing in Hex's Spinny? It does't. Where have I suggested that I believe in this hex YOU mention? I haven't. That's another irrational conclusion you have drawn, or rather projected.

The really weird thing is Spinny, YOU are the only one between us who has expressed a belief in the supernatural. You believe I have burdened our football team with my "irrational pessimism". I'll ask you again Spinny. How does that work. Does my supposed pessimism permeate through the space time continuum until it settles on Jonny Nobles boot and causes him to shank kicks?

In the one breath you are falsely ascribing superstitions to me and pointing out that they are irrational; and in the next you create a superstition of your own that I have the power to somehow "burden" our football team with my pessimism. :oops: Crazy stuff.

And yes, it's a discussion forum for opinions. Well spotted. Ill express mine. You do you. But please don't ascribe YOUR crazy thought patterns to me.

Marvel Stadium had an enthralling encounter full of momentum shifts, where Collingwood were able to overcome a slow start to build a huge lead, before hanging on to their lead against the Western Bulldogs to run out victors by 12 points. The opening term saw the Bulldogs get off to a flyer by kicking the first three goals of the game inside the opening ten minutes of the contest, before Collingwood stabilised momentum and managed to convert their first goal, courteousy of Jamie Elliott at the 18-minute mark of the quarter. No further goals would be kicked during that quarter as the Bulldogs held a slender 9-point lead heading into the first change. The second quarter saw the Bulldogs control and dominate the opening 15 minutes of the term, before the Magpies recovered from a 22-point deficit to draw within 5 points at the main break, with Ash Johnson and Jamie Elliott having a significant impact on the scoreboard. The third quarter became a procession for Collingwood where they got their hands on the ball, gained territory and converted most of their opportunities up forward to set up a good lead that was worth 25 points at three quarter time. The Daicos brothers kicked three goals between them (2 to Nick & 1 to Josh), and accumulated quality possessions during the quarter. Collingwood started the last quarter with a bang, where they booted the opening two goals of the term within 3 minutes to increase their margin to 37 points. The Woods would lead by as much as 38 points before the Bulldogs rallied home with the final four goals of the contest, but had to much to do which enabled the Pies to cling on at the final siren by two goals.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from key indicators such as kicks by +23 (227 - 204), +18 for uncontested possessions (257 - 239), intercept possessions were won by +3 (65 - 62), with turnovers claimed by -3 (62 - 65), hit-outs had a margin of +5 (44 - 39), and centre clearances were up by +1 (13 - 12). Tackles had a differential of +14 (65 - 51), while marks went Collingwood's way by +31 (124 - 93), with a gap of +32 for uncontested marks (115 - 83), intercept marks were won by +3 (65 - 62), and Marks Inside 50 were up by +6 (20 - 14). The Western Bulldogs won their statistical categories from sources such as disposals by +2 (379 - 377), handballs were won by +25 (175 - 150), contested possessions had a differential of +17 (132 - 115), +3 for clearances (39 - 36), and stoppage clearances were won by +4 (27 - 23). Tackles Inside 50 were won by +1 (10 - 9), contested marks were up by +1 (10 - 9), while Inside 50s had a margin of +6 (51 - 45).

Nick Daicos (29 disposals @ 76%, 439 metres gained, 15 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 16 handballs, 6 tackles, 6 score involvements, 11 clearances, 5 centre clearances, 6 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s, 3 Rebound 50s & 2 goals) relished on the Friday night stage with a highly impactful game in the midfield. Nick was able to win clearances with relative ease, won the contested ball when it was required, and drifted forward to kick two excellent goals in the game-defining third term.

Tom Mitchell (24 disposals @ 83%, 288 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 15 handballs, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 6 Inside 50s) won his own ball beneath the packs, won a few clearances, and looked to kick it forward and contribute to scoring chains, which he was able to accomplish.

Josh Daicos (24 disposals @ 83%, 322 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 20 handballs, 11 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) provided defensive cover around stoppages from the wing, where he was able to gather the ball and dish off handpasses under pressure, while working into space to take marks and maintain possession by foot at every opportunity. Josh was able to follow up his own work by playing on from a mark up forward and dobbing a goal from 45 metres out to maintain Collingwood's stanglehold of the contest.

Jordan De Goey (23 disposals @ 74%, 409 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 12 kicks, 11 handballs, 4 marks, 5 tackles, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements, 5 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 1 goal) had an immediate and instant impact upon return from suspension with an all-round display in the midfield. De Goey won crucial clearances, produced supply and opportunities for his forwards, and impacted the scoreboard.

Scott Pendlebury (21 disposals @ 81%, 194 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 7 handballs, 7 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) accumulated possessions with comfortable ease, and maintained possession successfully. Pendlebury received a standing ovation when he surpassed Robert Harvey for the most disposals ever in AFL history.

Darcy Cameron (10 disposals @ 60%, 35 hit-outs, 4 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles & 7 score involvements) gave adequate supply and first-use as often as possible to his midfielders, while taking a few marks around the ground, and contributing to ball movement and scoring chains.

John Noble (28 disposals @ 86%, 283 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 23 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 12 handballs, 9 marks, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 6 Rebound 50s) showed trademark composure and poise behind the ball by securing marks and maintaining possession by foot, while looking to link up with handballs when the team had numbers running forward.

Isaac Quaynor (27 disposals @ 89%, 354 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 22 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 11 handballs, 13 marks, 2 contested marks, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50s) picked off kicks with brilliant intercept marks to stop the Bulldogs dead in their tracks, while being an excellent contributor to transitional ball movement from defence into attack.

Jack Crisp (26 disposals @ 81%, 507 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 13 handballs, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 9 score involvements, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 5 Inside 50s) played as a high half-back that would be extremely damaging foward of centre, of which Crisp accomplished successfully and effectively. Crisp was prepared to kick long to contests with adequate numbers, while using his running power to receive handballs through the corridor off half-back without breaking stride or hesitating under pressure.

Darcy Moore (22 disposals @ 96%, 332 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 8 handballs, 7 marks, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50s) played a steady hand in defence with strong leadership by his actions. Actions with his ball use which hit targets to avert danger, while taking marks at the right time to save and stop goals being conceded.

Oleg Markov (19 disposals @ 74%, 358 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 7 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) played his role really well by using the ball effectively on the way out from defence, marking was at a good standard, while Markov was an active contributor in running through the corridor where he almost kicked an amazing goal.

Jeremy Howe (18 disposals @ 83%, 355 metres gained, 17 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 3 handballs, 10 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements & 5 Rebound 50s) executed his role nicely without the fanfare, where he picked off marks at the right time, and Howe was able to maintain possession effectively.

Taylor Adams (19 disposals @ 53%,283 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 6 handballs, 4 marks, 5 tackles, 3 Tackles Inside 50, 6 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 3 Inside 50s) cracked in with his ball-winning ability up forward, and his tackling pressure was excellent to give the team repeat stoppages up forward to increase the chances of kicking goals while the footy stayed in there.

Patrick Lipinski (16 disposals @ 62%, 262 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 4 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) made himself a hit-up target for the kicker by taking marks and moving the ball on after taking those marks. Lipinski kicked Collingwood's last goal of the game.

Bobby Hill (12 disposals @ 75%, 227 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 3 handballs, 6 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 7 score involvements & 2 Inside 50s) stayed busy and active in scoring chains without scoring goals.

Ash Johnson (11 disposals @ 73%, 149 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 4 handballs, 5 marks, 2 contested marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 5 score involvements & 3 goals) burst to life with two goals in the second quarter to get his team back into the game, before kicking his third and final goal during the third term.

Beau McCreery (10 disposals @ 90%, 318 metres gained, 9 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 2 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) generated supply and territory and tackled with effort and intent without kicking any majors.

Jamie Elliott (9 disposals @ 56%, 139 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 2 handballs, 7 marks, 7 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements & 4 goals) was able to convert crucial goals at the right time when his team were being outplayed by the Bulldogs. Three of Elliott's 4 goals were kicked in the first half, which emphasises how crucial his impact on the game was at that time.

Collingwood's next game will be against Fremantle on July 15 at the MCG. It is widely expected that the Magpies will regain Brody Mihocek, Brayden Maynard & Steele Sidebottom for the contest against the Dockers, while Will Hoskin-Elliott goes out of the team, due to a broken hand that will sideline him for a month. It is imperative that the Pies set the tone for the match from the opening siren and keep the foot on the throat until the final siren.

Attachments

• IMG_0589.jpeg
    IMG_0589.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I used to enjoy watching cricket until Australia went on a winning streak that seemed to last for years, to the point where a test or limited overs game became boring to watch, as the outcome was a certain Australian victory every time. I hope that I don't end up feeling the same way about Collingwood.

I thought Keath was right to run in and grab Elliott. Elliott took a few steps after completing the mark. Keath was just moving him back behind the mark.
That’s what it appeared like at the game.
After watching the replay he went way past it.
Up the other end Ash takes one step over the mark and was pinged!

I used to enjoy watching cricket until Australia went on a winning streak that seemed to last for years, to the point where a test or limited overs game became boring to watch, as the outcome was a certain Australian victory every time. I hope that I don't end up feeling the same way about Collingwood.

I hope you do. Because I won’t!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back