Toast Round 17 = Western Bulldogs 77-89 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

You're not being rational Spinny.

How does me not liking premature cockiness and arrogance from our supporters about us winning the flag translate to me being pessimistic of our chances of winning the flag? It doesn't. That's an irrational conclusion you have drawn.

Not counting your chickens before they hatch is a fairly basic and good philosophy in life. Being arrogant and cocky is not "optimism" Spinny. It is arrogance and cockiness and I don't like it. Got it?

How does me expressing a dislike for posts of rash cockiness and hubris translate to me believing in Hex's Spinny? It does't. Where have I suggested that I believe in this hex YOU mention? I haven't. That's another irrational conclusion you have drawn, or rather projected.

The really weird thing is Spinny, YOU are the only one between us who has expressed a belief in the supernatural. You believe I have burdened our football team with my "irrational pessimism". I'll ask you again Spinny. How does that work. Does my supposed pessimism permeate through the space time continuum until it settles on Jonny Nobles boot and causes him to shank kicks?

In the one breath you are falsely ascribing superstitions to me and pointing out that they are irrational; and in the next you create a superstition of your own that I have the power to somehow "burden" our football team with my pessimism. :oops: Crazy stuff.

And yes, it's a discussion forum for opinions. Well spotted. Ill express mine. You do you. But please don't ascribe YOUR crazy thought patterns to me.
In your first post you say that talking positively about our flag chances is irritating to you GIVEN our history of lost flags.
Why even bring it up - unless deep down this makes you uneasy?
And logically this unease is linked to the fear of another flag loss.
By extension my saying, it’s as if you fear that a hex is perpetuated with positive talk, was a metaphor to succinctly describe how this attitude resonates with me.

As to why any of this should impact the players - this September dread, in all its guises, is very common amongst supporters, and to suggest players are unware of it, and it’s origins seems unlikely. Particularly as it’s so often raised by the media.

Hence, they unfairly carry the burden of expectation.

BTW Scritchy you are not alone in how you feel, and I’m focusing on the issue not you personally.

Last edited:
I used to enjoy watching cricket until Australia went on a winning streak that seemed to last for years, to the point where a test or limited overs game became boring to watch, as the outcome was a certain Australian victory every time. I hope that I don't end up feeling the same way about Collingwood.

Are you referring to the era 2000-2009, when we'd win everything? I reckon my anxiety comes from the entitlement of thinking we will win, even in the dark days of 2014-2017 and 2021. I always anticipate a loss at the same time, so its pretty unhealthy. The state of the cricket at the moment, where the poms look like pinching one, makes it almost unbearable, but ill still hide behind the score updates and "watch". Im very superstitious 🤣

I hope you do. Because I won’t!

Look if we keep winning, footy seems to take the priority in the hierarchy of the ensemble of sports. If we win all the games for the rest of the season, I will be far from mad myself 😛

Just here to say how much I loved the game and the way you guys play your footy. We took it up to you guys but your skills and speed was too much. As much as Nick is a superstar and will win the brownlow maybe with a record vote I would have given Quaynor BOG. The game is in good hands with the likes of Nick Daicos and Jamarra Ugle Hagan.

Just here to say how much I loved the game and the way you guys play your footy. We took up to you guys but your skills and speed was too much. As much as Nick is a superstar and will win the brownlow maybe with a record vote I would have given Quaynor BOG. The game is good hands with the likes of Nick Daicos and Jamarra Ugle Hagan.
Was a great game. I thoroughly enjoyed it on Friday, despite being at Marvel 😉

I think not so much the steps , it is that he was not in the marking contest , you cannot come in and grab a player after that under any circumstance( unless he has played on which he clearly didnt do) .. umpires make mistakes, I am sure he was given 5 minute detnention in post match reveiw !

Just here to say how much I loved the game and the way you guys play your footy. We took it up to you guys but your skills and speed was too much. As much as Nick is a superstar and will win the brownlow maybe with a record vote I would have given Quaynor BOG. The game is in good hands with the likes of Nick Daicos and Jamarra Ugle Hagan.
Jamarra is still building, but once it all clicks, he’s going to be scary good.

I used to enjoy watching cricket until Australia went on a winning streak that seemed to last for years, to the point where a test or limited overs game became boring to watch, as the outcome was a certain Australian victory every time. I hope that I don't end up feeling the same way about Collingwood.
There was a period in 2011 when we were flogging teams by so much that we'd feel a 5 goal win was disappointing.

Excellent win in my opinion despite the drop off in the latter stages of the final quarter. Both sides demonstrated their quality throughout the game.

From halfway through the 2nd to the early stages of the last quarter, we produced a masterclass performance.

Nick Daicos in the 3rd quarter was extraordinary.
The 2nd and third quarter were exhilarating footy.

Lid nearly came off.

Have to wait until after Dry July, then it's nude runs around the backyard every weekend at this rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100 plus point wins V Carlton, Essendon and Richmond on rotation.
That'll never get boring......

Nick's deceptively quick, isn't he? His initial burst of speed gives him the microsecond he needs to decide what to do with the ball.
He kind of zig zags around making him hard to follow.
And just like that kicks it somewhere the opposition does not expect.
Freak with a large footy IQ

I wouldn't even say he's deceptively quick, he's just absolutely rapid off the mark, full stop.
Yeah, nothing deceptive about it. He also maintains that speed all game - constantly repeating efforts and getting from contest to contest. He is often one of those people who bob up at half-back to launch an attack, and then somehow is at the fall of the footy when it gets to half-forward

Our elite centreman gave me that tip when I returned from Uni. 2 or 3 quick strides and then the side step. Assume someone is trying to close in on you. Drill it in at training.

That and having a strong non-preferred. Very handy.
Add in a splash of magical wizard powers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back