Autopsy Adelaide 63 dftd Dogs 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we stop with this s**t? Is it not acceptable to vent on GD threads - particularly if players or systems looks terrible?

Tonight was atrocious - youngest team in the comp or not. Most of the failings can be attributed to experienced players and/or coaches, as well as the sub standard skills that seem to pervade the club.

In my view it’s ok to question this.
It's a free country obviously so it's perfectly fine for the game day thread posters to carry on like they do.
It's equally fine though for people to call the game day posters out for what they are.
Some people might not see why terms like pathetic and disgraceful should solely be reserved for the players and coaching staff.

Agree with you Lachy

However you know I'm not a fan of sacrificing today for tomorrow, and think the best way to build for next season is to start doing the things that need to be done now not next year.

Key things to do:
Pick teams on form, not potential. - How did Honeychurch get dropped before other players in worse form, especially for a wet weather game?

Assess our coaching group performance not just the players' performances, e.g. Where did we screw up tactically, and let's try to avoid screwing up again next week!

Be absolutely filthy about losing this game.
Nice concise summary Proff. :thumbsu:

Couple of things

We were a bit like an F1 car that got caught with the slicks on when it started p1$$ing down

Tip of the hat to Eddie Betts who was just a class above in those conditions. 4 excellent goals and good hands and kick for Jenkins goal (Trengove might have done a bit better but Betts kicked to Jenkins advantage)

Crozier clearance kick smother to Betts goal and Hunter's misses early were costly in terms of momentum and scoreboard in a low scoring game. Our handball to kick ratio defies logic in those conditions. I find it hard to believe that Bevo wouldn't have instructed them to kick more so will go with either dumb football from the players or the handball conditioning was too strong to overcome despite the conditions. Kicking for goal continues to be an issue. These things are pretty clear.

Clearances for mine is perhaps the biggest issue out of the game. Crows had 50% more opportunity for first use from both stoppage and centre clearances. Where territory was important given the conditions that was too much. This was compounded by our (team) kick to handball ratio of 1.1:1 against theirs 2.4:1. This is amplified further when you break it down further to clearance players. Our clearance players had a kick to handball ratio of 0.76:1 and Adelaides clearance players 2.5:1!

Most of our clearance players were the (relatively) senior players in the side. I think there is some evidence that they didn't adhere to the coaches instructions/direction whereas Adelaides clearly did.

Additionally, Adelaide had 6 players who had 4 or more clearances and we had 2 (Bont and Macrae). This is not good. Even if we weren't winning or clearing it we needed the capacity to stop them doing it. We didn't have it. Gibbs, Greenwood and Ellis-Yolman were influential (especially in the second half) and the latter 2 are big bodied mids that needed to be stifled. We need(ed) that capacity.

Adelaide's clearance players also had quite a bit more bench/rest time especially their prime movers in Gibbs(78%), EY(76%) and Greenwood(69%) in comparison to Macrae(89%), Bont((82%) and McLean(83%). Perhaps too much was also being asked of too few.

Not a lot of effective contesting or splitting contests forward either. It was conditions where everyone had to accept that it would be a physical grind and required commitment and persistence. We didn't quite measure up.

I thought Lippy was pretty good and has excellent skills and awareness. Made a lot of tackles and got around the ground. Williams is going really well. Both him and Lippy showed good skills in difficult conditions. Richards good too. Three young players that we can put in the bank.

I'd imagine that there are a few that can push for selection against the Pies playing at Werribee tomorrow. Morris and Adams(fwd) chief amongst them. Jongy would be well in the mix too if he goes well.

Last edited:
I'm not reading into the tackle stats, Proff. I think Dale is under pressure because of a more worrying inability to impose himself on any contest whatsoever and a growing trend of offering very little without the ball. I don't deny that Dale has many of the attributes that we require at present, but this season he's not winning the ball enough and not offering enough without ball in hand to justify their poor influence. I still do like him as a player and think he will develop into a good player, but I'm not sure he's doing enough right now.

With that said - he's probably saved by the fact that the cupboard is bare for replacements (as with Dunkley). He really needs to lift, though.

Agree we should be expecting/demanding more from Dale and a few of his mates.

He has been disappointing, and on a night like last night, him stepping up and snagging a couple could have made a huge difference. I would be all for the coach giving him a serious talking to.

Just don't like the view that it's all about 'getting in for the ball' , it's more complicated than that.

In 2016 we had a game plan that revolved around structure and effort. High level skill wasn’t really a necessity we basically pushed the ball towards goal as quick as possible anyway possible. So players could move in and out of the team and basically provide the same or near the same effort and result. We were not a talented individual team but it played to our strengths and an undying want to play for our coach topped that off.

That want seemed to disappear in an off season and add to that the still baffling change in playing style that requires more skill that our players simply do not have. Players that looked great in the old system and now being found out for their lack of skill and composure. Jack stands out in this system as he is one of the only players we have with composure.

I have heard that many players were not happy with the way we traded Jake also and tge way we are playing has all the signs of a team not on the same page for some reason.

When some on here are hoping they Campbell Honey and Jong will come in and help it’s clear we are in massive trouble.

I still want to know why we had to change from 2016. Richmond haven’t and look at them an even younger premiership team still chugging along. The excuses are just that we have been managed and coached to the level we are at now. As good as Bev was in 2016 he has been just as poor since.

We have beaten Carlton Essendon and the two qld teams at home. We play them away and they both beat us. There is not a single game for the rest of the year I go into confident we can win.

I am now back to watching footy as I did in the Whitten Oval days. Not expecting a win but watching my favs and the kids and accepting being a bulldog fan is just hard work.

Bring back the Hyde street band and the blanket for coins so at least we can have something to enjoy watching the peel carrying it duck for cover as people pelt 20 and 50 can’t coins at them

Bringing back the Hyde Street Youth Band with the canvas before the game is a great idea. Seconded. Not for funding the club but for tradition and worthy causes (including HSYB).

I’m absolutely baffled by team selections. We’ve been crying out for a more balanced taller team and Bevo finally makes that call in the one game where we DON’T actually need or want it. Stupid.

They may not be great players but in those conditions, I think the game becomes a lot closer if Honeychurch and Jong play instead of say Roughead and Dale. Sometimes you have to pick a team based on that.

I can't believe the rubbish I'm reading on here this morning. I thought our efforts were good last night in very trying conditions. They seemed to have had a bit of luck last night, the ball bounced their way. We were in control of the game for large parts but couldn't convert. I feel like they got a couple junk time goals, a couple cheap frees that resulted in goals and we squandered opportunities. The scoreboard want a true reflection of how close the contest was. They're a top six team and we're a developing team. We're not far off matching it with the top teams.

The next couple of years will be very exciting. All of this crap about coaching and list management is silly.
I can't believe you don't think we were comprehensively out coached last night. Not having a go at you - really respect your opinions, but we really only stayed in the game because of good effort from most players - nothing else to commend the game from a tactical/coaching viewpoint in my opinion.

To all of you who try to put a positive spin on last game, how were you able to watch without that awful feeling of inevitability? You know, we possess, we possess, handball after handball, etc, etc. Then, bang!, one kick the other way and they score.

That was just the wet weather version of our general playing style.

The Macca era can be characterised as the terminably boring, doomed "force the stoppage" style.

Post 2016, we are now in the era of the high-stats merry-go-round style, not quite as boring but equally pathetic in terms of winning games.

Does this not feel a bit of a cop out to say we don’t play wet weather football well?

We do play in a ground with a roof every other week

But it didnt stop us vs Sydney 2015

There are so many comments in this thread about our lack of experience in wet conditions. I would ask: how many games has Adelaide played in conditions like that? Annual rainfall in Adelaide is less than in Melbourne so surely we have trained in more wet weather than them. I know we play most of our games at Etihad but to me the difference in 'wet track form' would not be a meaningful reason for our failure last night. Our problem was the type of game we played in the conditions rather than the conditions themselves.

There are so many comments in this thread about our lack of experience in wet conditions. I would ask: how many games has Adelaide played in conditions like that? Annual rainfall in Adelaide is less than in Melbourne so surely we have trained in more wet weather than them. I know we play most of our games at Etihad but to me the difference in 'wet track form' would not be a meaningful reason for our failure last night. Our problem was the type of game we played in the conditions rather than the conditions themselves.
Exactly!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does this not feel a bit of a cop out to say we don’t play wet weather football well?
It does read as such, though I didn't mean it that way. I wasn't suggesting we don't have the experience so we didn't play it well - I meant that it's clear we don't play it well and need to develop in that area.

Don't know where to start really

Same issues really

We all knew the last 3 weeks were against the bottom sides and we barely won convincingly

We have too many dumb footballers
No smart forwards.
Too slow
Defence gives up easy goals

No point complaining when we know the issues

And why do we always struggle playing interstate ??
let's face it. we are the youngest side in hte competition and young players struggle with travel. someone posted at the beginning the age profile and adelaide looked far more experienced. therein lies the reason we lost i think. did not watch the game, so i may be off the mark by a country mile.

Coaching and not playing to the conditions aside, 14 behinds...

Far different looking game if we even converted a quarter of those chances, let alone half.

Excuse me for being positive for a sec, but how freakin' good are Lipinski's hands? His pickups and his handballs were absurd given the conditions.
On what I've seen only Bont and Macrae could claim to have better hands at this stage. On his way to elite in that category.

How is it a cop out to say we need experience with wet weather footy? It's true and needs to improve. That's not a cop out it's common sense.
I’d say because both sides faced the same conditions, the team has plenty of opportunity to train in the wet, there was plenty of advance warning of the conditions, and there is minimal difference in the number of games different sides play in the wet - we’ve certainly won without a problem in wet conditions in the past so I’m not sure why we’d now consider ourselves particularly lacking in experience in that area. I just don’t think it’s a reasonable excuse for losing. I’d prefer we just admit we played poorly in skill and tactics in the conditions.

Handball once - decent tactic
Handball twice - pushing it
Handballing thrice - ******* moronic

How on earth did they think they could sprint along handballing chains in those conditions? Have the balls to punt it. Preferably to a contest or space.

I said it would be controversial. I also said slightly. Overall I just don’t rate him quite as highly as some in the various threads but that shouldn’t be read as flipping to me saying he’s somehow bad. I just think Bont and Libba are better more damaging players and I’m not fully convinced opposition sides go into games worrying about being beaten by Macrae in the same way they would Bont or Libba.
Up until last season would fully agree with this.

He is now by far our best deliverer into the forward line though in fairness to your opinion Bont spends too much time forward and Libba is injured

Remove this Banner Ad

Back