Adelaide a threat in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

Given we've only lost Lyons, and replaced him with Hampton, and added Atkins, Milera, Cameron, ect ......i can't see where the midfield is worse than last season, in fact time will tell whether this years midfield mix & importantly speed is better as a unit
Do you think Thommo will be a contributor this year?

No worse than last year, but fewer games ....was still the clubs best clearance extractor last year
That's a contradiction, he was the best clearance extractor, he will play less games but we won't miss him? You are also not taking into account his deterioration as the season went on.

With another injury free year, Crows will be a premiership contender.

Problem is, it's unlikely that they will have another injury free year. If they lose Talia, Jenkins, and Sauce for example, they will miss the 8.

Problem is, it's unlikely that they will have another injury free year. If they lose Talia, Jenkins, and Sauce for example, they will miss the 8.
But we will be ok without Sloane?

I actually reckon the dogs and to a lesser extent the swans have raised the benchmark of how a modern day midfield should operate by pushing a lot more players through there making it an oppositions nightmare. How do you match up on a rolling, constantly changing midfield of 10 plus?
Have 10+ or more of your own. I think that's what Pyke is trying to achieve this year.

3 Key players? I think a lot of teams would struggle with the loss of players like those you mentioned considering how much influence those 3 have in our team. No surprise there.

3 Key players? I think a lot of teams would struggle with the loss of players like those you mentioned considering how much influence those 3 have in our team. No surprise there.

About half of teams lost at least that many key position players, including the Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide, last year.

The only teams that escaped injuries to important players last year were Adelaide, St Kilda, and Melbourne.

Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky two years in a row.

About half of teams lost at least that many key position players, including the Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide, last year.

The only teams that escaped injuries to important players last year were Adelaide, St Kilda, and Melbourne.

Doesn't look like it so far.

Crows have depth for most positions, but if we have numerous best players out then of course it would impact on us, like most sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do you have to fill in for an injured ruckman or KPPs?
O'Brien filled in twice for Sauce last year & held his own.

Otten as a key defender showed in preseason he has regained his touch.

Dear as a key forward, but are likely to go smaller if Tex is out with Menzel in & McGovern at chf

I think what most people are saying here is pretty right.

If we can get a midfield lift out of some guys coming back or stepping up, then we're in with a chance.
If theres no distinct improvement in midfield play then we're making up the numbers.

I think what most people are saying here is pretty right.

If we can get a midfield lift out of some guys coming back or stepping up, then we're in with a chance.
If theres no distinct improvement in midfield play then we're making up the numbers.
you've been hit hard by the loss of Danger, and i think it's a shame for both parties he left.
Both player and club would be a lot closer to a flag had he stayed.
With B.Crouch yet to get momentum going, and the poor compensation you got for Danger, it's left a hole.
I think the midfield is at least another year away. Get both Crouch's firing, Atkins some more consistency, Cameron running through there a bit more (love his tackling pressure) and some time into Gallucci & Milera, and then its not all down to Sloane and Douglas.
Not sure Thommo has another year after this in him, so a 3rd experienced mid would be handy. Bit of a shame Carlton held out with Gibbs. Could have been good for both clubs to trade.

you've been hit hard by the loss of Danger, and i think it's a shame for both parties he left.
Both player and club would be a lot closer to a flag had he stayed.
With B.Crouch yet to get momentum going, and the poor compensation you got for Danger, it's left a hole.
I think the midfield is at least another year away. Get both Crouch's firing, Atkins some more consistency, Cameron running through there a bit more (love his tackling pressure) and some time into Gallucci & Milera, and then its not all down to Sloane and Douglas.
Not sure Thommo has another year after this in him, so a 3rd experienced mid would be handy. Bit of a shame Carlton held out with Gibbs. Could have been good for both clubs to trade.

Well of course the Danger loss was a massive hit, but we sorta had to see it coming.
A bit unfortunate we didnt get Gibbs last year, but the club were right not to mortgage the future for a B grade player, even though he would've fit nicely into our midfield.

Thommo is cooked now.
Most Adelaide fans didnt want the club to renew him for another year.
Im sure he'll be good insurance, but really if he plays 22 games then we're unlikely to be top 4. Too slow on the spread etc, especially with our lack of speed already evident.

The interesting part will be to see where Milera/Cameron play and if Hampton can fit in as a midfielder. If they can quickly get up to speed with some midfield minutes then we'll be ok.

Well of course the Danger loss was a massive hit, but we sorta had to see it coming.
A bit unfortunate we didnt get Gibbs last year, but the club were right not to mortgage the future for a B grade player, even though he would've fit nicely into our midfield.

Thommo is cooked now.
Most Adelaide fans didnt want the club to renew him for another year.
Im sure he'll be good insurance, but really if he plays 22 games then we're unlikely to be top 4. Too slow on the spread etc, especially with our lack of speed already evident.

The interesting part will be to see where Milera/Cameron play and if Hampton can fit in as a midfielder. If they can quickly get up to speed with some midfield minutes then we'll be ok.
I think Cameron could be a midfield weapon. He has that rugby background, so his tackles tend to stick and he has pace as well. He lacks the kicking accuracy to be a small forward in my opinion. I think Gallucci, Milera and Knight would serve you better as HFF/mids.

Agree with Danger, there wasn't much you could do about that one. I put it all down on Paddy. And if he ends his career without a flag, which i think he will, he deserves it. Had he stayed another year or 2, the crows would be a top 2 team and a strong flag contender. He left a massive gap to go to a team who are heading in the wrong direction to win a flag anytime soon.

I think Cameron could be a midfield weapon. He has that rugby background, so his tackles tend to stick and he has pace as well. He lacks the kicking accuracy to be a small forward in my opinion. I think Gallucci, Milera and Knight would serve you better as HFF/mids.

Agree with Danger, there wasn't much you could do about that one. I put it all down on Paddy. And if he ends his career without a flag, which i think he will, he deserves it. Had he stayed another year or 2, the crows would be a top 2 team and a strong flag contender. He left a massive gap to go to a team who are heading in the wrong direction to win a flag anytime soon.

People move for various reasons. Personally knowing what kinda pull a family has (especially with health issues, kids etc), I dont blame him for leaving.
Worth remembering he did it in the right way and told the club as soon as he'd decided. But also people forget he re-signed the first time around.

Yeah Charlie is one of those guys that people outside Adelaide are starting to get an appreciation for. He will definitely be in the midfield a lot more this season. See how he goes. Could be an indicator of how the season will go in general.

People move for various reasons. Personally knowing what kinda pull a family has (especially with health issues, kids etc), I dont blame him for leaving.
Worth remembering he did it in the right way and told the club as soon as he'd decided. But also people forget he re-signed the first time around.

Yeah Charlie is one of those guys that people outside Adelaide are starting to get an appreciation for. He will definitely be in the midfield a lot more this season. See how he goes. Could be an indicator of how the season will go in general.
i dont think Danger did it badly, but for another 2 years, he could have delivered the Crows a flag, if not last year, then this.
Its a shame. I really wanted to see him win a flag and brownlow at adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back