List Mgmt. Adelaide Crows 2021 List Management thread

Will the Crows pick up any of these players in the off-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
He's not supposed to. He's there as a cheap "break glass in case of emergency" player, i.e. someone who is ready to come in if ROB does an ACL.

ROB's long-term replacement should/will be drafted in 2022 or 2023.
And all Strachan will ever be is a "break glass in emergency" option and that's not planning for the future in any way shape or form.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
You missed Port's "development" ruck Sam Hayes, he's the future not Ladhams for the mob down the Road, bar for doing his ACL a while back I think there's every chance he'd already have pushed Lycett aside. Same with Freo Lloyd Meek backing up Sean Darcy, both similar ages.

In all fairness I could have listed almost every other club as examples.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
He's not supposed to. He's there as a cheap "break glass in case of emergency" player, i.e. someone who is ready to come in if ROB does an ACL.

ROB's long-term replacement should/will be drafted in 2022 or 2023.

So what if ROB has a run of really poor form then? We'll just keep playing him to our own detriment.

This kind of thing is where complacency can creep in.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I think Riley Knight might just get back on an AFL list in the mid season draft now that he's proving he's a dead set midfielder that never really got the opportunities he deserved here when our midfield wasn't firing. Helps to that it appears he's finally got his body right.
Is that on him or our fitness staff?
Or is his body suited to the less professional league?

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I’m all for drafting a developing ruck whenever as long as it’s free ie rookie draft pick.

I wouldn’t prioritise spending any significant draft capital. Every other position is more important.

What really matters is when Hamish sees a young ruck he likes available at a rookie pick. Would be dumb to be prescriptive about a particular schedule. Draft someone we like when they are available. (ROB approach)

If it’s 4 years and we still haven’t seen a single rookie ruck we like (unlikely), then as soon as ROB looks dodgy we trade for someone decent who can’t get a game at their current club. (Sauce approach)

Having two quality rucks for redundancy and selection pressure is fine. But if there’s a quality HBF on the board at pick 35 then that’s a higher priority than a quality backup ruck.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m all for drafting a developing ruck whenever as long as it’s free ie rookie draft pick.

I wouldn’t prioritise spending any significant draft capital. Every other position is more important.

What really matters is when Hamish sees a young ruck he likes available at a rookie pick. Would be dumb to be prescriptive about a particular schedule. Draft someone we like when they are available. (ROB approach)

If it’s 4 years and we still haven’t seen a single rookie ruck we like (unlikely), then as soon as ROB looks dodgy we trade for someone decent who can’t get a game at their current club. (Sauce approach)

Having two quality rucks for redundancy and selection pressure is fine. But if there’s a quality HBF on the board at pick 35 then that’s a higher priority than a quality backup ruck.

Agreed - not advocating spending anything beyond very late or rookie picks. Historically ruckmen can be found late.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
So what if ROB has a run of really poor form then? We'll just keep playing him to our own detriment.

This kind of thing is where complacency can creep in.

Good List Management is about identifying & solving problems years into the future. Vader is either being deliberately dense, or just unable to think big picture.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Taylor has been unbelievable, a magnificent servant and deliverer of quality moments where you just scream yes!
He shouldn’t go on after this year with us.
If he goes somewhere else, fine,
If he bleeds the club he needs to make way.
thoughts, rebukes and connections ensue.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Good List Management is about identifying & solving problems years into the future. Vader is either being deliberately dense, or just unable to think big picture.
We need to be looking at a ruckman 4-5 years before ROB reaches the end. That means drafting one in 2022/23, not 2021.

Yes, you look to the future, and seek to identify problems coming towards you. You also don't waste resources on fixing problems which won't, or aren't expected to, exist in the specified timeframe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
We need to be looking at a ruckman 4-5 years before ROB reaches the end. That means drafting one in 2022/23, not 2021.

Yes, you look to the future, and seek to identify problems coming towards you. You also don't waste resources on fixing problems which won't, or aren't expected to, exist in the specified timeframe.

1) Late/rookie pick doesnt constitute a waste of resources in this context. Not close.
2) And again, you're assuming that everything stays constant with OBrien. Its a contact sport - blindly refusing to draft for contingency, assuming that form and/or long term injury wont be a factor in the next 5 years is poor list management.

The cost of starting that development process now is negligible. Makes it a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Apr 11, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Taylor has been unbelievable, a magnificent servant and deliverer of quality moments where you just scream yes!

Agree. And make way for Fog to play there consistently and given plenty of time to own that role.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS

If Hamish rates a ruck who is available in this years rookie draft, do you think we should pick them?

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Play Walker with Thilthorpe for as long as we can, Thilthorpe will learn a lot from Walker, but would lean nothing from Fogarty.
When you look back on Thilthorpe's career you won't even remember he played a couple of years with Walker, but it will be formative to play with such a leader, particularly in career best form.
Id say Walker is half way to a new contract for next year, and that Fogarty had to find his own way into the team, not to early retire somebody for him to make it.
Fogarty is getting games and not taking his chances.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
1) Late/rookie pick doesnt constitute a waste of resources in this context. Not close.
2) And again, you're assuming that everything stays constant with OBrien. Its a contact sport - blindly refusing to draft for contingency, assuming that form and/or long term injury wont be a factor in the next 5 years is poor list management.

The cost of starting that development process now is negligible. Makes it a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.
The cost is that of failing to address other, infinitely more pressing, issues with our list - which is pretty much every position on the ground, but primarily the midfield.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
If Hamish rates a ruck who is available in this years rookie draft, do you think we should pick them?
Certainly not with a high pick. Maybe a 4th or 5th round pick, or a rookie pick. We have other priorities which are far more pressing for those earlier picks (starting with gun midfielders).

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Certainly not with a high pick. Maybe a 4th or 5th round pick, or a rookie pick. We have other priorities which are far more pressing for those earlier picks (starting with gun midfielders).
Yes that’s why I said rookie draft. I agree.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

History says small forwards, rucks and tall defenders can be found late. no one is advocating for using early picks for developing rucks. Its not complicated mate v- just a list spot and a few years...

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The cost is that of failing to address other, infinitely more pressing, issues with our list - which is pretty much every position on the ground, but primarily the midfield.

Because elite mids are so often found late/rookie list? Name them?

Back