List Mgmt. Adelaide Crows 2021 List Management thread

Will the Crows pick up any of these players in the off-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The typical Crows supporter paranoia is palpable here.

Lynch, Talia, McKay have all made an exit, even losing players like Davis will lower our age profile dramatically. Unlikely Tex goes on another year and we’re looking very thin in terms of experienced players around the club.

These experienced players push younger players and drive expectations. Some people on this board just don’t get the bigger picture that it’s all a balance act as we go forward. Some would have us field an entire team of under 22’s every week ‘just to get the gaaaaames into ‘em!’

Moronic.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The thing with experience is, on its own, experience is completely useless.

Why this pervasive idea exists is that quality footballers and experience are correlated. However, it's more that quality players get game time and eventually become experienced, not experience makes a quality footballer better.

We have the experienced players to push the youngsters already. You only need a handful of them, and with Sloane, Tex, Smith, Seedsman, Laird, Mrouch etc, we have them already. The balancing act is not senior v young. It's quality footballers and developing prospects. With anyone we are bringing into our club there are two key questions - do they substantially make our best 22 better (after all, getting in an older guy who is only marginally better than a prospect ends up being self-harming, as they get game time and stunt the prospect from developing), or do we reckon something has been missed with their development, and they're in a position of need (the Keays/Crocker types).

The Leinarts, Dunstans, Dumonts types of this world offer no positives whatsoever to a rebuilding side. They just clog the list and block the pathway up that gets kids into the best 22 as quickly as feasible. Even if the intention is to use them as depth as there will be a time the team starts losing, and any coaching group is immediately going to look at a older guy and say - he fixes our problem. It's the mistake that wrecked Melbourne in the early 2010s, Carlton in the mid 2010s, and North in the late 2010s.

Now a player like Dawson is exactly what we should be targeting. They have the potential to make a difference.

Last edited:

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Sure, but he would be on a 2 or 3 year deal so you can basically say bye to Worrell getting games.

There's enough experience now with Smith, Brown, Doedee and possibly Milera back there.
He'd get a one year deal and none of those players you're mentioning will be playing in the two's

We don't necessarily need more 18 year old long shots in our rookie list, all running around in the two's without much idea. We have A LOT of youth that we're trying to develop. A couple of mature heads not competing for a spot will be good.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
I presume next year may be Tex and Sloane's last?

Is Sloane still with us till end of 2023?

You'd assume this year will be Tex's last, but then if he recaptures his form from the start of the year, who knows? I imagine he'll be pretty fired up, with a point to prove, after everything that happened at the end of this year. Especially if he can drop a little more weight. Thilthorpe's still very young and Tex potentially takes the pressure off Fogarty to suddenly take over as #1. But I'd imagine it'll be his last.

Sloanes an interesting one, so many young players gunning for his spot, Sloanes form being average at best the last couple of years, can he find a more outside role or does he find himself in the 2's and decide to retire instead of going on in 2023?

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
He'd get a one year deal and none of those players you're mentioning will be playing in the two's

We don't necessarily need more 18 year old long shots in our rookie list, all running around in the two's without much idea. We have A LOT of youth that we're trying to develop. A couple of mature heads not competing for a spot will be good.

I tend to agree with this, by my count I believe we're probably going to have 4 picks in the ND and 1 in the RD (could be 5 and 0). This is on top of the 11 players under 23 we've taken in the past 12 months, a fair chunk of whom are already in our best 26.

Assuming no trades get done, our 3rd and 4th picks are 75 and 80, we're probably going pretty speculative there (ie needing a couple years development), does it really matter if that final rookie pick is essentially a playing development coach? The 2 proviso's being, no one of note falls that far and that this player doesn't suddenly find his way into the best 22 reckoning.

As an aside, I do wonder if we don't have plans to find another pick inside the first round... I suppose 75 and 80 probably end up being picks in the 50's anyway with FS bids and clubs likely taking low numbers at the draft.

Lots of youth trying to develop...may as well add a 27yo trying to develop too hey?

Yes, he has a good leg and probably can be pushing for best 22 for a bottom 4 club, but 23 games of AFL he isn't offering more AFL experience than Jones, Butts or Hamill who have all played more AFL than him.

Its about more than games experience, its about leadership and a mature body in the SANFL. The theory would be someone who contributes to the development of those around him, rather than spreading our development resourses that bit thinner. Someone who makes our SANFL side more competitive and in Lienert's situation, could play comfortably on talls and smalls at SANFL level.

Personally, I'm not too fussed either way, but I can see value in holding the last rookie spot for a "playing" development coach, especially given recent cuts to soft cap.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
You'd assume this year will be Tex's last, but then if he recaptures his form from the start of the year, who knows? I imagine he'll be pretty fired up, with a point to prove, after everything that happened at the end of this year. Especially if he can drop a little more weight. Thilthorpe's still very young and Tex potentially takes the pressure off Fogarty to suddenly take over as #1. But I'd imagine it'll be his last.

Sloanes an interesting one, so many young players gunning for his spot, Sloanes form being average at best the last couple of years, can he find a more outside role or does he find himself in the 2's and decide to retire instead of going on in 2023?

Sloane won't play 2s, simply won't happen. He's much more likely to retire as a starting centre square midfielder than in the SANFL.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Lots of youth trying to develop...may as well add a 27yo trying to develop too hey?

Yes, he has a good leg and probably can be pushing for best 22 for a bottom 4 club, but 23 games of AFL he isn't offering more AFL experience than Jones, Butts or Hamill who have all played more AFL than him.
We're arguing different things.

I'm not suggesting he plays in the AFL. We have too many players already who need games for their development.

He's a better piece for their development in the two's than the 80th best 18 year old. He understands structures and roles and would be a good supporting piece for others.

He's there to help the better, younger racehorse learn how to run properly.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
We're arguing different things.

I'm not suggesting he plays in the AFL. We have too many players already who need games for their development.

He's a better piece for their development in the two's than the 80th best 18 year old. He understands structures and roles and would be a good supporting piece for others.

He's there to help the better, younger racehorse learn how to run properly.
Damien Oliver has plenty of experience?

Apr 29, 2010
Ngunnawal
AFL Club
Adelaide
His dad Brett is my 2nd cousin, but I've never met Jarrod or Brett. I wouldn't have known except for the surname prompting me look up the family tree. (Jarrod's great grandfather was one of 9 brothers, so there's plenty of my second cousins out there I don't know.)

Looking up his stats, he turned 27 in August, not 28 as previously claimed on the thread. He was a late starter being drafted at age 23 in 2017, injury delayed his debut to R18 in 2018.

Keays is the obvious comparison in terms of picking up a delist.
Keays is 2 1/2 years younger than Lienert, so was 4 1/2 years younger at the 'pick up' point.

Keays had managed 30 games in 4 seasons prior (16/10/2/2) compared to Lienert's 23 games in 4 seasons (6/7/5/5); both were struggling to get games in a top 2 side (by H&A rankings).

BTW, Brisbane went from 5 wins in 2018 (15th) to 16 wins in 2019 (2nd). Would be an interesting case study comparison to Adelaide in 2021 (7 wins, 15th).

I don't know nearly enough to make a judgement, but wouldn't be disappointed if we gave him a shot.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
The issue with picking up Lienert is the temptation of selecting him at the expense of someone like Josh Worrell.

Even the most rose-tinted of us know that we will do this too.

"Playing coach in the SANFL" is all well and good but he will end up playing 11+ AFL games, all of which could have gone to someone 21 and under.

No thanks.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
If you’re going to refer to posters as moronic it’s fair to say you are going to cop some back especially when you post like a superior twat and yet your post is a silly one and comes back to bite you on the arse.

Well to be fair I didn't refer to any one particular person as moronic, i said a particular short-term-type thinking was.

But you keep doing you ;)

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
The issue with picking up Lienert is the temptation of selecting him at the expense of someone like Josh Worrell.

Even the most rose-tinted of us know that we will do this too.

"Playing coach in the SANFL" is all well and good but he will end up playing 11+ AFL games, all of which could have gone to someone 21 and under.

No thanks.

I reckon i'll back in our recruiters than some random bloke on BigFooty who has an consistent inflated sense of his/her own self, and who can't conjure up anything more than negative thought bubbles on a frequent basis.

You are as far from ever having a 'rose-tinted' opinion on anything, skam85. You're the depressed Keanu Reeves meme of the Crows threads.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon i'll back in our recruiters than some random bloke on BigFooty who has an consistent inflated sense of his/her own self, and who can't conjure up anything more than negative thought bubbles on a frequent basis.

You are as far from ever having a 'rose-tinted' opinion on anything, skam85. You're the depressed Keanu Reeves meme of the Crows threads.

LOL
Hilarious stuff coming from the king of tripe.
You stalk me more than enough, go on, find my consistent negative set of posting. Put your poverty where your enlarged mouth is.
(The voices in your head don't count)

The fact you're "backing in" our recruiters who have delivered so, so much on-field success says everything anyone ever needs to hear from you, and that's still too much.

Last edited:

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
LOL
Hilarious stuff coming from the king of tripe.
You stalk me more than enough, go on, find my consistent negative set of posting. Put your poverty where your enlarged mouth is.
(The voices in your head don't count)

The fact you're "backing in" our recruiters who have delivered so, so much on-field success says everything anyone ever needs to hear from you, and that's still too much.

Maybe go find something that else that makes you happy then? Doesn't sound like 'supporting' a footy club agrees with you at all. It's not some sort of balanced relationship where the club owes you something on an frequent/equal basis. Your dissatisfaction seems to manifest itself into negativity ad nauseam, i reckon you're months away from Opus Dei membership just so you can flagellate yourself every time a positive thought arrives.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe go find something that else that makes you happy then? Doesn't sound like 'supporting' a footy club agrees with you at all. It's not some sort of balanced relationship where the club owes you something on an frequent/equal basis. Your dissatisfaction seems to manifest itself into negativity ad nauseam, i reckon you're months away from Opus Dei membership just so you can flagellate yourself every time a positive thought arrives.

So no evidence then?
Excellent.

One day the day will come where you come to the realisation that you project every single one of your creepy sociopathic tendencies onto people you don't know on the internet.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
The thing with experience is, on its own, experience is completely useless.

Why this pervasive idea exists is that quality footballers and experience are correlated. However, it's more that quality players get game time and eventually become experienced, not experience makes a quality footballer better.

We have the experienced players to push the youngsters already. You only need a handful of them, and with Sloane, Tex, Smith, Seedsman, Laird, Mrouch etc, we have them already. The balancing act is not senior v young. It's quality footballers and developing prospects. With anyone we are bringing into our club there are two key questions - do they substantially make our best 22 better (after all, getting in an older guy who is only marginally better than a prospect ends up being self-harming, as they get game time and stunt the prospect from developing), or do we reckon something has been missed with their development, and they're in a position of need (the Keays/Crocker types).

The Leinarts, Dunstans, Dumonts types of this world offer no positives whatsoever to a rebuilding side. They just clog the list and block the pathway up that gets kids into the best 22 as quickly as feasible. Even if the intention is to use them as depth as there will be a time the team starts losing, and any coaching group is immediately going to look at a older guy and say - he fixes our problem. It's the mistake that wrecked Melbourne in the early 2010s, Carlton in the mid 2010s, and North in the late 2010s.

Now a player like Dawson is exactly what we should be targeting. They have the potential to make a difference.
Nailed it.

WeedsMullet84 read this if you haven't and educate yourself. Well thought out, makes perfect sense, an extremely knowledgeable football opinion and doesn't find the need to belittle other posts.

Yes I know I do it, but I do it when its justified, like when I quote you ;)

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

If only the club had listened to random blokes on Big Footy, we may have had a chance at winning the flag in 2018 and not spiralling to our lowest point as a club. Let me guess, you backed the club in then too ;)

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers

The problem you have is that it isnt the recruiters that are the issue in the discussion.. its the selectors.

it is the selectors that will be the ones that select leinert over one of the younger players if he is bought into the squad.

and the other problem is you are tying to argue against a very recent history. Everyone here has seen in the recent history of the club when it comes to selection that 98 times out of 100 that they will pick and play the older more “experienced” player over the younger player regardless of the current form of the players available.

we all have seen this occur time and time again.. game after game in the last few years the selectors have gone with age and experience over youth and potential regardless of form.

Pointing this fact out isnt being negative at all.. the proof has been in the pudding being made in recent year. The ingredients have been there for all to see.

now you can stick your fingers in your ears and squeal “blah, blah, blah” over and over again when this is pointed out to you if you like.. but it just makes you look like the moron in front of all the people in here you laughably claimed are moronic.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Imagine being lambasted for wanting what's best for your footy club. Incredible scenes.

We all want what's best for the club. I don't think that was his point at all.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Nailed it.

WeedsMullet84 read this if you haven't and educate yourself. Well thought out, makes perfect sense, an extremely knowledgeable football opinion and doesn't find the need to belittle other posts.

Yes I know I do it, but I do it when its justified, like when I quote you ;)

Do you have multiple accounts on here?

Back