News Adelaide Crows Camp Allegations and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

My questions are; was Jenkins objective, in raising this now, a swatback for the way he was treated in his last year at the Crows .....was he encouraged to speakup by SEN, his employer .....or was it a bit of each

Very fair questions: you have to wonder

The AFLPA President, Dangerfield ....is best mates with Jenkins & do a Podcast together ....how can the AFLPA say they didn't have all the facts ?

Indeed. I’m not sure how we can be expected to believe there is some shortfall of communication

Not sure if this has been posted, but this is Malcolm Blights viewpoint on Riccuito.

Blight however has slammed those going after Ricciuto, saying the board would not be aware of every aspect of the camp and that the responsibility falls to the club’s football department.

“There’s a lot of uneducated people out there who don’t know how a board works,” Blight told Sportsday SA.

“At the end of the season, they get beaten in a Grand Final, they brainstorm improvement – if they’d asked me I would have said, ‘forget about it, move on, everyone’s going to lose’.

“They come up with other activities to try and get better and there’s nothing wrong with that. They come up with a camp, they get testaments from other organisations from somebody inside the Adelaide Football Club.

“What actually happens is the executive, the working people who get paid – the board do not get paid – the executive present a case for abnormal activities and/or costings. That’s presented to the board.

“Questions are asked by the board members and of the infinite details, they don’t go down to the bottom. They don’t ask, ‘who’s going to say this, what’s the agenda, where they’re going to go up a tree, whether they’re going to go over an obstacle course, are they going to play Richmond music’, the board doesn’t ask that question, that’s got to be done at executive level. Not board level.

“So anybody out there including Mark Robinson, Gerard Whateley and anybody else talking about Mark Riccuito or those board members, it wouldn’t have gone down that far.

“Boards don’t operate that way. The executives run everything and eventually present to the board.

“Why has Ricciuto (been under siege)? Give me the argument why Mark Riccituo and the other Adelaide board members shouldn’t be there. They don’t know every infinite detail. That’s not their role.”

Blight served on the inaugural board of the Gold Coast Suns, joining in 2009 and stepping aside in 2012.

I love St Malcolm more every day, with every utterance from his blessed mouth

He’s essentially the conduit between board and footy department.

In the same way a board might have someone experienced in HR able to interpret and advise the board regarding policies etc based on their expertise

The board hires senior executives, receives reports, oversees governance, and hold management to account.

They have no direct day to day role in operations.

They may well, and often do, sit on certain executive committees like audit, health & safety, remuneration etc. in this case Roo probably sits on the list management committee, but he wouldn’t sit in on selection for example
You’re assuming a governance style Board whereas many organisations operate very differently than this and can operate as management style Board, regardless of what the Board charter or constitution says. It sounds like you have worked in larger companies with mature Boards. It’s questionable (to me as I haven’t worked on an AFL board, although I have worked directly with AFL board people) on how these Boards actually work “practically”.

Correct. Name a player in the AFL who had a more destructive influence on their club post footy than Roo? I can think of one.

I don’t have a list of names but plenty of VFL and early AFL clubs went close to going bust and they were generally ex Players or super rich supporters so there would be plenty of examples over the last 40 years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t expect the board to be across whether someone climbed up a tree (or indeed sat under one!)… what I do expect is for board members with sound judgement to flag significant concerns about what was happening in 2018 up to and including that disgraceful Pyke/Burton media conference.

That is not an unreasonable expectation and the fact that it probably didn’t happen is what (rightly) infuriates members.

That, and the fact most of these arseholes are not member elected.

And Olsen’s interview last night was piss weak. Really showed his true politician colours, didn’t answer a single question.

I don’t expect the board to be across whether someone climbed up a tree (or indeed sat under one!)… what I do expect is for board members with sound judgement to flag significant concerns about what was happening in 2018 up to and including that disgraceful Pyke/Burton media conference.

That is not an unreasonable expectation and the fact that it probably didn’t happen is what (rightly) infuriates members.

That, and the fact most of these arseholes are not member elected.

And Olsen’s interview last night was piss weak. Really showed his true politician colours, didn’t answer a single question.
We needed an external group to come in and tell our board the place was toxic

I just rewatched the car crash interview with Burton and pkye midway through 2018 . Pyke was actually not too bad but Burton was absolutely horrendous. How the hell did he get the job! Roo needs to go for appointing such an arrogant condescending idiot .

Not the MO dude

It was anything but positive. Roo is bigger than the Club and he confirmed consideration of his role “not on the agenda”. He’s only just taken reins so can’t comment on what happened before… except the fact that former board and Chair said nothing to see here, which is why we’re in this mess; no one has taken full responsibility just half here and there.

Tell me this. Forget the player, which club would employ Roo as a Football Director based on his experience and merits as a Football director? If the answer is none, then the problem is we are stuck with him for a reason other than he’s best person for the job.

And IF Smith and McGovern weren’t injured maybe we win the 2017 GF and then Roo, Burton and Pykes reputations would be just about solid gold - particularly with everything the club had previously been through. Sliding doors

But importantly you miss the point that Roo is an unpaid role. The football directors like Balme are paid employees, not a volunteer role
All the people getting paid handsome salaries got sacked as they were paid to sort this stuff out and failed

And IF Smith and McGovern weren’t injured maybe we win the 2017 GF and then Roo, Burton and Pykes reputations would be just about solid gold - particularly with everything the club had previously been through. Sliding doors

But importantly you miss the point that Roo is an unpaid role. The football directors like Balme are paid employees, not a volunteer role
All the people getting paid handsome salaries got sacked as they were paid to sort this stuff out and failed

Volunteer role? Then let’s pay Roo not to play a role at club.

He’s essentially the conduit between board and footy department.

In the same way a board might have someone experienced in HR able to interpret and advise the board regarding policies etc based on their expertise

The board hires senior executives, receives reports, oversees governance, and hold management to account.

They have no direct day to day role in operations.

They may well, and often do, sit on certain executive committees like audit, health & safety, remuneration etc. in this case Roo probably sits on the list management committee, but he wouldn’t sit in on selection for example
Far more informative, rather than trying to find Nemo

Greenwood too. It's underestimated how big of a loss he and McGovern were, seeing those two coming (back) into our lineup sparked our mid-year resurgence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greenwood too. It's underestimated how big of a loss he and McGovern were, seeing those two coming (back) into our lineup sparked our mid-year resurgence.
2018 we were in a premiership window. The revisionism and messaging of a “rebuild” started as soon as administration realized Club was imploding in wake of camp, then the rebuild followed the messaging. As a club, most of us suffered, sucked it up, and still do. #sackroo

I love St Malcolm more every day, with every utterance from his blessed mouth
I love Malcolm too but there's two problems with this: 1) Burton was Ricciuto's 'captain's call', a massively underqualified appointment, a disastrous tenure from start to finish and the camp was his idea, and 2) the problem was always more about the club's response to players' complaints about the camp and Roo and everyone else at the club was more than aware of the nitty gritty by that stage. He has consistently downplayed the concerns right up to the present. It's not and never has been about whether the board knew in advance what was planned for the camp.

2018 we were in a premiership window. The revisionism and messaging of a “rebuild” started as soon as administration realized Club was imploding in wake of camp, then the rebuild followed the messaging.

Nope. Whilst the occasional bedwetter was talking about a rebuild on here, we clung to that core until the bitter end.

For the admin, the moment the word rebuild entered our lexicon was when the players downed tools to get Pyke sacked.

Huh? Greenwood played in the GF.

Yup, was playing injured and was effectively benched the whole game.
He did a calf the week after the QF didn't he? We had earned a week off and we absolutely flogged the s**t out of the players on the track from memory. McGovern and Lever also limped off the track.

I
He did a calf the week after the QF didn't he? We had earned a week off and we absolutely flogged the s**t out of the players on the track from memory. McGovern and Lever also limped off the track.
I went to the final training session at Adel oval and McGovern looked fit to play. They were training up the other end of the ground for the 2nd half of the session but I can't see why they didn't play McGovern over Otten.

Not sure if I am reading your post wrong but Greenwood definitely played in the grand final. He kicked a nice goal
from stoppage in the 2nd quarter from memory.

I love Malcolm too but there's two problems with this: 1) Burton was Ricciuto's 'captain's call', a massively underqualified appointment, a disastrous tenure from start to finish and the camp was his idea, and 2) the problem was always more about the club's response to players' complaints about the camp and Roo and everyone else at the club was more than aware of the nitty gritty by that stage. He has consistently downplayed the concerns right up to the present. It's not and never has been about whether the board knew in advance what was planned for the camp.

Good post, I thought it was a poor take by Blighty.

I also think it's relevant who gets paid and who doesn't. I don't think if you are a volunteer it reduces good ethics and standards.

Let's also not pretend that the volunteers on the Board are doing anyone a great Community Service. They are in demand positions and they are not exactly cleaning the local retirement home for free.

Lastly, the AFL Board members past and present that I know are mainly in it to raise their profile.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back