Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan
Its hard to fault him
I can't think of many drafts i've walked away from thinking we ballsed up picks.
Steinberg over Parker i found odd. Morgan in general, but Redman has turned out well.

And we have been able to keep our best (that didnt want during the ASADA stuff) whilst landing the likes of Shiel, Smith, Stringer and Saad.

I would seriously question our development program.
We are, and have been for a while, poorly coached.

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Its hard to fault him
I can't think of many drafts i've walked away from thinking we ballsed up picks.
Steinberg over Parker i found odd. Morgan in general, but Redman has turned out well.

And we have been able to keep our best (that didnt want during the ASADA stuff) whilst landing the likes of Shiel, Smith, Stringer and Saad.

First reply and the response I expected.

In 20 years he hasn't stuffed it? It's been the multiple different coaches?

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan
First reply and the response I expected.

In 20 years he hasn't stuffed it? It's been the multiple different coaches?
Hard to blame him for player development, coaching, effort, game plan

The draftees and signings are good at the time.
replace him or not, i don't think it will fix things

I wouldn't be so frustrated if i didn't see a list with potential to be better.

Seb78

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
His inability to draft quality genuine midfielders when we were crying out for them for so long is damning.

Has done better on the trade front.
This. I dont think trading for players is the issue. Getting in blokes like Saad, Smith, Stringer and Shiel is a win in my book. Imagine how much worse we'd be without them. Drafting for young talent is the problem atm, safe to say he's got a few wrong there, in particular in the mid 2000s to even more recent drafts.

quotemokc

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
Fact of the matter is we have been crap for a long time, it all trickles down, just because he hasn't been the problem doesn't mean he should be safe.

I too am sick to death of drafting flankers and trying to change them into midfielders instead of just drafting midfielders.

owen87

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Wouldn’t say he’s untouchable but his drafting isn’t especially bad. Mostly picked decent enough players, the odd howler, the odd gem.

Fantasia and Merrett were quality late gets; Steinberg probably the biggest howler.

I’d say generally our youth development is lacking, along with a top-line head coach. Wouldn’t turn out Dodoro just yet but would like to see a new face given more opportunity or input in the talent ID process - hell, employ eDPS who seems passionate about watching the juniors without having any kind of commercial obligation to do so.

What we need is our next Sheedy; someone who will drag the club and players forward, instead of expecting Dodoro to recruit a superstar every year.

Our drafting is about average, not exceptional but not terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burzum

Sack Dodoro
Nov 28, 2006
Melbourne/Alingsås
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sverige
Well he's been promoted to the executive not that long ago, and I think someone else is doing more of the list management? So in a sense we are getting someone new.
Dodoro is still the general manager of the list so Rob Forster-Knight (that's whom I assume you're referring to) reports to him and it's likely that RFK's entire recruiting philsophy has been shaped by Dodoro.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan
The draftees are good based on what?
I should say, at the time they were good.
They were the kids widely touted to go where they went.

The big question for me isn't the list management, trading or drafting.
What are we doing with these kids?

I would bet all the money i have that Langford, Parish, Francis, Laverde & McGrath at a club like Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Adelaide, Sydney, etc would be ripping it up.

We don't develop players well.

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm

The big question for me isn't the list management, trading or drafting.
What are we doing with these kids?

I would bet all the money i have that Langford, Parish, Francis, Laverde & McGrath at a club like Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Adelaide, Sydney, etc would be ripping it up.

We don't develop players well.
So not really based on anything. Just because he's picked safe doesn't mean he's picked right.

It's not the bloke who's been here 20 years at fault? Its the multiple development staff? All of them?

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan
So not really based on anything. Just because he's picked safe doesn't mean he's picked right.

It's not the bloke who's been here 20 years at fault? Its the multiple development staff? All of them?
If the list was terrible and bereft of options i would agree with you

If we didn't have multiple players who have shown they can play better but aren't - that's coaching.

Parish plays his best when Myers is out. Myers has shown us what he can do and it isnt enough. But when Parish gets a run on we bring Myers in and play Parish forward.
Does this make him a bad pick? or does it make our player management bad?

I really couldn't care less if we went out and replaced him or not.
But if we did, i don't expect much to change. We'll get good players in and turn them into soft lazy front runners if we don't change the culture of this club to accept that sort of standard.

NAB777

All Australian
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I think his efforts have been a bit better in the past few years, but our problems go beyond one person.

Development has been an issue for a while, but the biggest issue I see is that more than anything, we need to instil a ruthless culture.

That starts at the top of every department, including on the field.

doug85

Capo di tutt'i capi
Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
Fact of the matter is we have been crap for a long time, it all trickles down, just because he hasn't been the problem doesn't mean he should be safe.

I too am sick to death of drafting flankers and trying to change them into midfielders instead of just drafting midfielders.
This is my biggest issue. We’ve been drafting blokes then playing them out of position. Goes all the way back to Keplar Bradley.

TheGrizz

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
His over-valuing of draft picks has seriously hampered our ability to trade and i have no doubt has affected our ability to enter a competitive period. We have been left with him mainly drafting (which I think he may be say a B- at overall) and if you arent going to trade and instead rely on your draft and development you need to be a consistent A level drafter. Although he seems to have changed his stance lately

His clinical obsession with drafting flankers who have 'scope' to be mids is a serious problem.
His record with KPPs is alright, but he doesnt take enough pure mids, and when he does they are late in the draft or undersized.

Overall I wouldnt mind a change but i dont know who is in the GM/list manager market haha

Darealrath

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
But any of us could do that from our sofa just by analysing the mock drafts. He fundamentally failed to understand what our list needed and/or had no appreciation for the difference between genuine mids and flankers who can run through the middle.

The Donners

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Its hard to fault him

You don’t know until after the draft whether you ballsed up or not.

We are in the club’s longest premierships drought and he’s the one constant (other than Dr Reid).

Top Bottom