Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Essendon List Manager discusses 2007 draft

Monday, 29 October 2007
Essendon List manager, Adrian Dodoro, is about to head into the most important month of his year with the 2007 NAB national draft being held on November 24.

Despite having the hopes of all Bomber supporters resting on his shoulders, he took time out from his busy schedule to talk exclusively to Bomber TV about the past few drafts and what Bomber fans can expect next month.

"We will pick the best player available. We could do with a great ruckman, a great midfielder and a great forward but every club can," Dodoro said.

"People say we need midfielders but they tend to forget that last year we drafted a lot of midfielders like Jetta, Davey, Reimers and Houli."

Essendon has some good early picks in 2007 with pick 6 and 23 and have already used pick 39 on Darcy Daniher. The Bombers also have pick 55.

Discussing the club's early picks Dodoro said Essendon has done plenty of background work on the country's best young players and would continue to check and double check every detail right up until draft day.

"We are confident of getting a top player. We will pick up young players and we think this will be a good draft for us," he said.

You mean, am I satisfied with Dodoro trotting out the stock standard cliche?

Nah, I was hoping he'd come out and say exactly who we're aiming for at pick 6.

You mean, am I satisfied with Dodoro trotting out the stock standard cliche?

Nah, I was hoping he'd come out and say exactly who we're aiming for at pick 6.

Is that sarcastic, cos now that you mention it, I wish he did come out and say who we were aiming for! :D

I'm sure someone can tell me, but I can't see what difference it would make if he did!

I'm not overly familiar with Dodoro, how long has he been in this position?

I recall Noel Judkins being quite good with his scouting/drafting ideas... I believe he was there when we picked up Wanganeen, Hird and I also think Lloyd and Lucas, can someone confirm this?

I'm starting to think along the lines that we have got a fair few midfielders that will be pretty good for us and don't necessarily need to draft em for the sake of it.

We have a core group currently of Watson, Stanton, McVeigh, Winderlich, Lovett + Pev or JJ for more grunt and experience next year if need be.

We then have Slattery, Monfries, Dempsey, Hislop, Houli, Reimers, Lonergan, Hocking coming through.

Maybe our recruiting staff think the midfielders in this draft won't be as good as a Hislop or Houli or Dempsey or Reimers...

Maybe they are backing in our young midfielders and will give them game time and are trying to plug holes in other areas.

I for one won't be disappointed if we don't draft a midfielder with our first pick.

I'm also confident that in 2 years time a midfield of Watson, Stanton, Slattery, Winderlich, Lovett, Dempsey, Monfries, Hislop, Houli, Reimers will be considered one of the leagues best.

We'd have more chance of selecting decent players if we used a chimp in a cage crapping on random draftees names than relying on that hopeless flog.

Satisfied? ...yep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends who he picks at 6..as long as it aint McEvoy or Myers I'll be very happy. If he selects either of them he should be sacked IMMEDIATELY!
Myers will be a tall wing midfielder when he grows up anyways. I would hate it if we picked up McEvoy i would feel sick in my stomach :thumbsdown: just hope like hell dogs take him his got talent but no more forwards!

Myers will be a tall wing midfielder when he grows up anyways.

Oh fantastic..so how is he helping or glaring weakness of GENUINE midfielders right now! I want in and unders or Palmer as he has got a bit of X-Factor about him. Myers is so meh to me it isn't funny. Hell I'd rather McEvoy than him and thats saying something!

Oh fantastic..so how is he helping or glaring weakness of GENUINE midfielders right now! I want in and unders or Palmer as he has got a bit of X-Factor about him. Myers is so meh to me it isn't funny. Hell I'd rather McEvoy than him and thats saying something!
What are you talking about. Myers is a pretty skilled young bloke his 190cm which is a very good size for a wingman and avg l think 24-28 possies in WAFL level. Also his a good bloke.

Hmmmm, classy, but obviously lazy... lazy doesn't win flags! Unless he had a thyroid defect then I don't think there's much excusing Mr. Rioli.

No doubting his natural talent, but he limped to 100 games!

dean rioli was taken in the rookie draft - good result getting 100 games out of a rookie that everyone else overlooked IMO

What are you talking about. Myers is a pretty skilled young bloke his 190cm which is a very good size for a wingman and avg l think 24-28 possies in WAFL level. Also his a good bloke.

I DON'T CARE. I want genuine in and unders or Palmer. Myers IS NOT a in and under and he is not Rhys Palmer either. So in summary I don't want him. And I really couldn't give a stuff about nice blokes. I want superstars, I don't care if they are tossers!

I'm starting to think along the lines that we have got a fair few midfielders that will be pretty good for us and don't necessarily need to draft em for the sake of it.

We have a core group currently of Watson, Stanton, McVeigh, Winderlich, Lovett + Pev or JJ for more grunt and experience next year if need be.

We then have Slattery, Monfries, Dempsey, Hislop, Houli, Reimers, Lonergan, Hocking coming through.

Maybe our recruiting staff think the midfielders in this draft won't be as good as a Hislop or Houli or Dempsey or Reimers...

Maybe they are backing in our young midfielders and will give them game time and are trying to plug holes in other areas.

I for one won't be disappointed if we don't draft a midfielder with our first pick.

I'm also confident that in 2 years time a midfield of Watson, Stanton, Slattery, Winderlich, Lovett, Dempsey, Monfries, Hislop, Houli, Reimers will be considered one of the leagues best.

I've got this bookmarked

When will this guy get sacked :thumbsu:

unlike carlton everyone forgets that we lost draft picks as well. to further damage us it also hurt when our best young midfielder (rama 1st rnd pick) was struck down with cancer. you can't predict that happening. our drafting isn't that bad - i don't know a side that has made the finals as often as essendon in the last 20 years. you can't judge too much over a small window of 3 years or so - no doubt there's been mistakes made in the draft but that happens at every club. the biggest problem would have been sheedy taking players such as cole, heffernan, camporeale etc. you can't blame recruiters for that as their job is to identify young talent outside the afl. however there is pressure on dodoro to get pick 6 right this year but tell me picks such as hille at 40 and gumbleton/jetta last year weren't correct.

i'm not rating our midfield players as highly as others here and do agree that a dynamic midfielder has to be our no.1 priority. we already have 4 young kpp's that the club has a high opinion of in darcy daniher, ryder, gumbleton, neagle. i say one of the popular mids at 6 (palmer, masten etc), a quick defender (alex rance or similar) at 23, developing kpp at 55 and take a recycled player at 71 or in the psd.

then rookie list a young ruckman as its unlikely an 18yo would be pushing anywhere near hille or laycock for at least two years.

oh and i wouldn't want dodoro coming out and telling all the others what we want - the draft and trading is a game of poker at times.

Never been a big wrap of his. Still having nightmares over James Davies, next selection D. Kerr :eek:

Probably a little tough, hindsight is a wonderful thing...

People with brains might realise that 17 players were taken before Kerr was selected. Just because we picked up a hack, it doesn't discount the fact that several other clubs selected player far inferior to Kerr within the first round. Even the Eagles rated Andrew McDougall significantly higher.

When will this guy get sacked :thumbsu:

We'd have more chance of selecting decent players if we used a chimp in a cage crapping on random draftees names than relying on that hopeless flog.

2 bad things for the 'Dons. 1 employing Adrian Dodoro and 2 moving to the Dome.

What a bunch of gutless internet hacks! At least back up what you're saying with some reasons.

Shane Harvey and James Davies were awful selections. In fact, the 2000 and 2001 drafts were spectacularly forgettable for us. But other than that, we've recruited pretty well over the last 8-10 years.

In the last 5 years we've recruited Ryder, Gumby, Dempsey, Davey, Neagle, Hislop, Jetta, Reimers, Houli, Monfries, Slattery, Stanton, Nash, Lovett, Lovett-Murray, Watson, Laycock, Winders and a few others. I reckon almost all of them will have good careers for our club.

No doubt we've had some misses along the way, but unless we find some recruiters with crystal balls, there'll always be misses. I think the club have lost Kepler needlessly...he should've got more than a handful of games this year, so if he wanted to go, I can't really blame him. As mentioned, Davies and Harvey were poor selections, but both were essentially early 2nd round picks. Most of our other early picks have been quite good. McVeigh, Rama, Winders, Laycock, Gus, Stants, Ryder and hopefully Dempsey, Gumby, Hislop and Leroy will be great players.

Guys like MJ, Rioli, Pev, Hille, Welsh, Slattery, Lovett and NLM have been outstanding mid to late draft or rookie draft picks as well.

Having champion KPPs such as Fletch, Lloyd and Lucas in palce for well over a decade...not to mention the great man James Hird, our best recruits of the last decade have usually been seen as their supporting cast, rather than the main show. With James gone and the other 3 to follow in the next few years, a few guys will be forced to step out from behind their shadows....hopefully a few will do it sooner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back