List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And when we got Tambling, Richmond supporters came to this board genuinely wishing him well and saying how good he will become with a fresh start.

It's easy to be magnanimous when a fringe player from your club leaves and you get decently compensated.
tambling was a spud plain and simple bit different here

Pass from me. Got a second ruck/backup and another defender on whom the jury is out. (May have interviewed well) One thing , I will give them both a chance to impress , after all they are crow men now. As far as the change in draft positions , meh.Drafting untried afl
players is like buying greyhound pups.

need to also consider that he also struggled with injury before retiring

not a risk on footy ability but a risk in terms of health and fitness
People need to understand we didnt give up 31 for Cheney & Lowden we moved down 4 spots from 31 to 35 & 10 to 14 as well as upgrading our later pics

No need to upgrade another Rookie just yet. Remember Any Otten will be put on the long term injury list and a Rookie can take his spot. Reward a Rookie who is playing well in the early matches and will actually play a game.
kelly will be a gun and be upgraded i think

Think there is a few delisted FA we will show interest in im thinking Kane Lucas, Mitch Robinson, Elliott Kavanagh & possibly Kieran Harper if he is delisted by the Roos

Kane Lucas makes Sam Shaw look like Luke Bruest when it comes to disposal by foot.

Mitch Robinson marginally better by foot but a dead set dickhead.

Keiran Harper spent more time in the sick bay than on the field the last 2 years.

Elliot Kavanagh has been at the Dons right??

One delistee that does have very good disposal is James Polkinghorne IF his ankle is now OK...medical required.

Pretty happy with the Cheney/Lowden pick up and the last minute swap of 10-14 to get another early round 3. We might have paid a bit too much for those guys giving 31 but still ok (Lowden was pick 63 in 2008)

With 14 I don't think Durdin will slip that far. Really hope he does somehow and we get him!

I reckon Noble must have good intelligence that Durdin will be picked up around 5-7, so we were never going to get him. Either that, or he was not our number 1 target.

tambling was a spud plain and simple bit different here
Tambling has had a better AFL career than either player we brought in today and in all likelihood that's how it will stay.

My point is that Hawthorn supporters coming here and wishing them well means absolute jack shit in terms of how good they are. Those supporters are wishing them well because they have served as part of their club and when they left, Hawthorn received good trade compensation from us.

I suppose it depends on how far away you think we are.

Clearly, Noble and Walsh think we don't require a full rebuild.
Because they aren't idiots, and realise this is a team that is not far away. Have a look at our list, it's filled with a bucketload of top end talent, and now the challenge is to fill the depth and improve the bottom parts of our 22 through the draft and guys like Crouch, Lyons, Grigg, Atkins etc.

Kane Lucas makes Sam Shaw look like Luke Bruest when it comes to disposal by foot.

Keiran Harper spent more time in the sick bay than on the field the last 2 years.

One delistee that does have very good disposal is James Polkinghorne IF his ankle is now OK...medical required.
Yes but i think he was drafted after the ASADA stuff i may be incorrect on this thow

Robinson adds a toughness we dont have

Harper was touted as a 200+ game player when drafted if he gets his body right could be a great get

Lucas i thought was pretty good for a poor Carlton side this year IMO he fit our need as an outside player

I've avoided trades all day, but what the hell is with that swap of picks to Geelong? 10 and 47 for 14 and 35? I sincerely hope that doesn't blow up in our faces.
You sound like Rowie....See if you can get a podcast of Noble's interview on 5AA tonight and you might understand all about Trade Week and trading .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be worried if we ever skipped that step ;)

Why is it so hard to see the change in picks for what it obviously is?

Geelong are after someone from WA that would be picked up before 14 by Freo or West Coast, and AFC are after someone that will still be around at pick 14. My guess is Nakia Cockatoo is the guy that we want earlier than expected, North Melbourne will probably get him at pick 16 if he is still around.

Nakia has elite speed and elite foot skills.

Could be our next #23 :)

Tambling has had a better AFL career than either player we brought in today and in all likelihood that's how it will stay.

My point is that Hawthorn supporters coming here and wishing them well means absolute jack shit in terms of how good they are. Those supporters are wishing them well because they have served as part of their club and when they left, the club received good trade compensation from us.
are you serious lowden is 23 and tambling was a number 2 pick that was useless

Have been super busy all day and have only just had a chance to catch up with the trade, but it seems alright to me. We didn't land a "big fish" as such but what we did get makes a fair bit of sense.

This is a year where we have had to delist a lot of players, and it wouldn't be good to be drafting all the way into the 80s. Graham, McKernan, Petrenko, Porplyzia, Rutten, Johnston, possibly some others that have slipped my mind as well. That's six spots we have to fill. If we had just kept our picks our sixth selection would be pick 104(!)

We effectively traded out picks 10, 31, 50 and 68, and in return we received Cheney, Lowden, and picks 14, 35, 43, 59. That means that, barring any further delistings, we don't need to go further than pick 59 in the draft. We addressed two needs, albeit with players who are only "maybes" in Cheney and Lowden, and didn't hurt our draft order that much, with only pick 10 -> pick 14 really stinging in the slightest. Pick 31 -> pick 35 means nothing and the other two picks are upgrades so those three cancel out in my mind.

The way I look at it is that for the price of downgrading pick 10 to 14, we've been able to use picks 86 and 104 on Cheney and Lowden. Not exactly a high-powered trade but when viewed that way it makes plenty of sense.

are you serious lowden is 23 and tambling was a number 2 pick that was useless
Lowden is a 23 year old who has played one game. When we got Tambling, he was a former number 4 draft pick who had just turned 25 and played 100 games.

Tambling's not even the point. The point is that magnanimous opposition comments on a recently traded player are meaningless.

You sound like Rowie....See if you can get a podcast of Noble's interview on 5AA tonight and you might understand all about Trade Week and trading .

Oh piss off. I understand why we did it, I just said I hope it doesn't blow up in our faces. For a team that is lacking in top end talent, exchanging our best pick for a worse one doesn't seem like the greatest idea. I've said several times in this thread that I'll wait and see what transpires on draft day before crucifying the club for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back