Preview AFL 2017 - Semi Final - GWS v West Coast, Sat 16/9, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree you shouldn't have raised the topic and derailed the thread. It's normal for Bulldogs supporters to want to brag in any way they can though, nuffie
I didn't derail the thread, you and your mate did. My first post was very clearly about the expected West Coast crowd this week. The Bulldogs game was referenced because it was the only other home final GWS have played in their entire existence.

Care to comment on the article I posted, or just chose to insult me instead whilst burying your head in the sand?

On the dogs prelim numbers. The issue is, every dogs fan that made it was decked out in Dogs gear. You're not going to an interstate prelim and wearing plain clothes. Plenty of GWS fans went without GWS gear on (I was one, and there are a lot of other teams expats who support GWS, but don't have the gear, fox example I have three eagles jerseys but only a couple of GWS members scarves) so dogs fans definitely had more people at game in dogs jerseys/scarves/hats but would have had less overall.

GWS fans also more family based so quieter, older dogs crowd made the trip up.

Oh please. It is a legitimate discussion point for this game, just because you and your mate don't like it doesn't mean it isn't. It was a big topic last year, why wouldn't it be again this year in your 2nd ever home final?

Nothing to do with the game. Your club isnt relevent this year move on.

West Coast have twice as many members in 2017 as the Bulldogs did in 2016, plus their supporter base in even larger than that given member numbers are capped. They have 3 times as many as GWS do this year too. The Giants are also coming off a heavy loss last week which might turn some away, whilst West Coast are coming into this game on the back of two thrilling wins. If last year's prelim did draw a 50-50 split as you've suggested, then surely its a possibility that one of the heaviest supporter groups in the country brings an even bigger

And? I dont think they will bring as many as you guys.

You can both sit here and call me delusional and a nuffie all you like but that doesn't make it any less relevant. I'm not here to troll, and it isn't a criticism of the Giants either, there is no denying you have a smaller supporter base than almost all other clubs but that's to be expected given the club is only 5 years old.

No im calling you a troll bringing up something that had nothing to do with this game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Agree. So then... put some fast players along the centre corridor and go there. If you're lacking in something then do something about it!
They need to use Jetta in that exact positon you mentioned. His speed will be key. If they can get the ball in consistently and regularly to Kennedy and Darling, the Giants defenders will get swamped. F50 entries is key for the Eagles. Play to their strengths. Backline is solid, they just need to own the rebounds from their back half, hence why Jetta tearing through the middle will be important. Who else do they have with the leg speed?

Nothing to do with the game. Your club isnt relevent this year move on.

And? I dont think they will bring as many as you guys.

No im calling you a troll bringing up something that had nothing to do with this game.

Once again. Other than responding to both of you I'm not posting about my club, I'm well aware the Bulldogs aren't relevant to this game and am not bothered by that fact. I mentioned last year because it was the only other point of reference for a GWS home final, it is your third final in Sydney but given the other one was against the established Swans that's hard to take much from re crowd make-up.

I am genuinely interested to see what happens this week, and find it pathetic that you'd both call me a nuffie or a troll for opening up a topic of conversation about the very game that this thread is about.

I think Happy Mastenator makes a good point - travelling fans will generally be more involved in the game than home fans (per capita) as they tend not to be as casual as the average football fan, and there will no doubt be a number of neutral fans living in Sydney who attend and support the local team.

Once again. Other than responding to both of you I'm not posting about my club, I'm well aware the Bulldogs aren't relevant to this game and am not bothered by that fact. I mentioned last year because it was the only other point of reference for a GWS home final, it is your third final in Sydney but given the other one was against the established Swans that's hard to take much from re crowd make-up.

I am genuinely interested to see what happens this week, and find it pathetic that you'd both call me a nuffie or a troll for opening up a topic of conversation about the very game that this thread is about.

I think Happy Mastenator makes a good point - travelling fans will generally be more involved in the game than home fans (per capita) as they tend not to be as casual as the average football fan, and there will no doubt be a number of neutral fans living in Sydney who attend and support the local team.
Only pathetic one is you. Bringing up past to make yourself revelent again. As per usual...

The Eagles fans actually have the record crowd for us in a non derby home and away game.

Moving on.

The only thing favouring GWS is that West Coast struggle to travel past Adelaide. But a win like that last night can do wonders for a team moving forward.
If GWS continue to think things will just happen in the comp because they have a lot of talented individuals, they will get a big shock .

They are more than happy to run forward, but when it's going the other way they really don't look interested, and don't work hard enough. I think Cameron will get his troops fired up after that performance against the Crows, but I honestly can't see them getting past Richmond in the prelim.

What are you talking about, we've won all but one game at their home deck.

Their strengths are related to our weaknesses, we've had some good games this year and they've won both.

Not impossible but I was definitely more comfortable with Port after a week off than GWS in the second week.

And vice versa. They have a star studded midfield, but their efficiency going forward jas been really poor. With McGovern,
Yeo, McKenzie firing, Hurn playing pretty well, we have a pretty solid line of marking backs. Hopefully Barrass will lift. Drop Duggan. Speed will be the main issue, but Scripps and Shuey should be valuable here.

West Coast play OK at Skoda. Win the contested ball and defend well which could block GWS run. Still think it will be tough to hold them off for 4 Qs. Reckon it will go similar to last time with the game even but a burst or 2 will get Giants home.

As an aside if the Eagles win should they just fly down to Melbourne on Sunday morning and set up camp for a week or 2? That way they can acclimatise and prepare very specifically for the ground and conditions.

Otherwise:

Thursday: Fly Perth to Adelaide
Sunday Fly Adelaide to Perth

Thursday: Fly Perth to Sydney (if win)
Sunday Fly Sydney to Perth

Thursday Fly Perth to Melbourne
Sunday Fly Melbourne to Perth

Thursday Fly Perth to Melbourne

Potentially 7 cross country flights in 3 weeks. Leave for Melbourne on Sunday you cut out at least 2 long haulers potentially 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the travel factor, ladder position, extra time the Eagles had to play, it's very hard to tip the Eagles. That being said, I'll be cheering hard for them.
I'm hoping the bye means we're still fresh after extra time. I was one of the biggest bye critics last year but if it helps us out this year Im grateful.

On the dogs prelim numbers. The issue is, every dogs fan that made it was decked out in Dogs gear. You're not going to an interstate prelim and wearing plain clothes. Plenty of GWS fans went without GWS gear on (I was one, and there are a lot of other teams expats who support GWS, but don't have the gear, fox example I have three eagles jerseys but only a couple of GWS members scarves) so dogs fans definitely had more people at game in dogs jerseys/scarves/hats but would have had less overall.

GWS fans also more family based so quieter, older dogs crowd made the trip up.
I was there as well and it was very ckear the AFL split the Aisles alternately and evenly.

Giants easily, WC will be very tired after playing 4 & a half quarters
I think WC are a very well balanced team, to beat anyone they do need their midfield to achieve parity. I'm not sure hiw that close game will affect them.
It would be interesting to see them play the Tigers, it would be a real clash of styles under huge pressure in a PF. I hope they dont make it though, obviously.
:thumbsu: Kudos for being up and about, it must have hurt.

I'm hoping the bye means we're still fresh after extra time. I was one of the biggest bye critics last year but if it helps us out this year Im grateful.
I know you guys travel a lot, but Perth > Adelaide > Perth > Sydney would be hard in the space of 10 days. That being said, GWS are perhaps the flakiest of all the top 4 teams, despite their talent they are very beatable, I just wonder if the Eagles will have enough run in their legs after 2 trips in a row, and the last game went overtime.

If Mummy is out then WC is a damn good shot at winning this one. Otherwise GWS is more likely. Interesting match up though. Super talent vs a genuinely hard working team with solid talent, but relatively poor H&A season.

If Mummy is out then WC is a damn good shot at winning this one. Otherwise GWS is more likely. Interesting match up though. Super talent vs a genuinely hard working team with solid talent, but relatively poor H&A season.
You'd think but he has been struggling with his ankle recently, and the big lug Dawson has had a great year. Did a great job on the Freo and Bulldogs games. It could actually be a positive for him to play. Jezza is definitely a negative

I really liked the way the Eagles hung in. I mentioned in the gameday thread at 3 quarter time that they were a big chance to win because they had done so well staying within a goial or two even though Port had thrown everything at them.

They have a lot more mental toughness than the GWizz.

Cameron and Mummy are big outs. And WC have a lot of experienced heads. If the WC are not too cooked after the Port battle I reckon they can win. Priddis and Mitchell will have to have blinders again though. It really comes down to if those two can go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back