Autopsy AFl 2017 - Semi Finals - What did you like, learn or hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: Our first ever finals victory over South Melbourne/Sydney Swans. Totally unexpected too.
Learnt: GWS are rooted. The_Wookie avatar curse is back. ;)
Hated: Continuation of dull, one sided finals.

I learnt that West Coast were cooked

I hated that West Coast were cooked

I liked that Geelong beat Sydney. Geelong vs Adelaide seems far more interesting than Sydney vs Adelaide for the third time in just 5 years. Although knowing this finals series it'll probably be another crappy blowout.

Liked: No disrespect to WCE but Richmond will have a brutal game next week now.
Learnt: Geelong aren't finished yet
Hated: Richmond are a game away from a grand final

Liked: Ball pressure from GWS (especially in both the forward and back half). In the last quarter an Eagles player accidently ran into one of their own players and the Eagles player with the ball had a moment (where they thought the second player was a Giants player and braced themselves for impact). That kind of perceived pressure can lead to mistakes and mistakes can lead to turnovers and turnovers can lead to goals

Learnt: Apparently GWS need to train with some noise in the background to condition them for the 90 odd thousand crowd next weekend

Learnt II: I think there was another semi final on this weekend

Disliked: I actually don't mind Richmond as a team, just like I didn't mind Bulldogs as a team last year. In my mind this is another case of two good guys having to fight each other one game short of where I would have liked to have seen them fighting. It is like in a movie when they have to put in a depressing moment before the finale

Disliked II: Mumford and Cameron apparently won't be playing any further footy this year

Like:

Having premiership bets on Adelaide, Geelong, GWS and Richmond

Learnt:

Being on the razors edge every single week takes its toll on even the best teams eventually
Sydneys Kennedy is indeed human after all :p

Disliked:

Catty Stagerfield
Sydney trying less than Essendon did

Liked: Ball pressure from GWS (especially in both the forward and back half). In the last quarter an Eagles player accidently ran into one of their own players and the Eagles player with the ball had a moment (where they thought the second player was a Giants player and braced themselves for impact). That kind of perceived pressure can lead to mistakes and mistakes can lead to turnovers and turnovers can lead to goals

Learnt: Apparently GWS need to train with some noise in the background to condition them for the 90 odd thousand crowd next weekend

Learnt II: I think there was another semi final on this weekend

Disliked: I actually don't mind Richmond as a team, just like I didn't mind Bulldogs as a team last year. In my mind this is another case of two good guys having to fight each other one game short of where I would have liked to have seen them fighting. It is like in a movie when they have to put in a depressing moment before the finale

Disliked II: Mumford and Cameron apparently won't be playing any further footy this year

Will be the biggest crowd for them?
Seemed like it spooked Geelong.
GWS absolutely need to silence the crowd early.

Will be the biggest crowd for them?
Seemed like it spooked Geelong.
GWS absolutely need to silence the crowd early.

It appears that GWS's biggest crowd is 60k, for the qualifying final last year against Sydney. Their four next biggest crowds are against Adelaide at Adelaide. The only other time they topped 40k was against Collingwood at the MCG.

Liked: Dangerfield playing forward.
Steve Johnson kicking 6.
Coniglio's and Duncan's respective midfield performances.
Deledio will be playing in a preliminary final.
Learnt: This finals series is super boring.
Hated: Boring finals matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked that Stevie J just played his one best final and probably won't get a kick next week.
Hated the empty stands (not seats, entire bloody stands) - still it made me smile thinking how bad it must look for the AFL. Also hated the snooze fest games. Let's hope the prelims and the granny can give us something decent to watch.

Liked: Cats dominating.
Learnt: In a fortnight either GWS or Richmond will be playing in a grand final.
Hated: The AFL refuses to move Geelong v Adelaide from AO to the MCG despite the fact that 30k will miss out on going to the game now. :rolleyes:

Liked the Stevie J show, Geelongs effort. Never write off guns.
Learned GWS haven't thrown the towel in just yet.
Hate the fact there is a chance, ever so slight, I MAY have to barrack for Richmond in the Grandy, naaaahhh surely not.

Liked: Response to criticism and adversity by Geelong....BLUE SHORTS! Duncan and Menegola! Foos & Weezer tour!

Learnt: Longmire is one dimensional, slow to react and a bit gormless. Euron becomes a wight!

Hated : Sausage rolls, Gill thinking about doing away with the draw during the H&A season. (Another knee jerk response from Gill the dill)
Blow outs! The finals have been a bit of a disaster for the AFL this year, let's hope the Preliminaries live up to their reputation as the best games of the year!

Liked - a brand new club in a foreign code, playing against an opponent from the other side of the continent, managed a crowd only 1,000 less than a rugby league giant did in their home final last week. Good signs.
Learned - as poor as many say the crowd was, it was far and away better than what collingwood drew as a much older team.
Hated - the afl scheduled the giants against western sydney's biggest team playing their first home semi for years.

Liked - Geelong and GWS responding. Steve Johnson. Motlop & Menzel.

Learnt - Danger is a big game player. Steps up. Sydney have too many passengers. Soft outfit come finals.

We should have two really good contests next week. No game is certainty.

Richmond have some supporters that better be just as active post Preliminary Final on BF if they lose as they have been before it. Serious egg coming towards faces if GWS win.

Hated - the immaturity and bitching about Selwood, Dangerfield, and GWS. This country really typifies the tall poppy syndrome like no other - place is full of armchair critics. You think it'd wear thin after a while. It never does.

Liked: Having the extra week to recover and prepare.
Learned: Even though WCE won a close game the previous week, it didn't help them. Even though Geelong got caned the previous week, it did them no harm.
Hated: Can't think of anything.

Richmond have some supporters that better be just as active post Preliminary Final on BF if they lose as they have been before it. Serious egg coming towards faces if GWS win.
This isn't a consideration. The love or hate from other clubs' supporters doesn't cause any angst at Tigerland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back