• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coll-vs-Port-Adelaide.png

2.PNG
Where and when: Marvel Stadium, Friday May 3, 7.50pm AEST

Melbourne Forecast
1.PNG

Mostly sunny day then a slight (30%) chance of a shower tonight. Northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h.

Last time they met: MCG, round 22, 2018: Collingwood 17.13 (115) defeated Port Adelaide 10.4 (64)
The Magpies cemented their first finals berth in four years while the Power slipped outside the eight and ultimately missed the finals. After leading by just four points midway through the third term, the Pies piled on 8.5 to 1.0 to break a four-game losing streak against Port.

What it means for Collingwood: In the first of just three appearances at Marvel Stadium this season, the Pies will fancy their chances of posting their fourth successive win in a period in which they could build serious momentum.

What it means for Port Adelaide: On a fast track under the roof, Ken Hinkley's boys have a golden opportunity to strengthen their credentials against one of the flag favourites.

How Collingwood wins: Jamie Elliott's return will allow the Pies to assemble their full complement of forwards for the first time and possibly enable superstar Jordan De Goey to spend more time in the midfield, where his explosiveness could be critical.

How Port Adelaide wins: The Power have unleashed some exciting speedsters – among them the supremely talented Connor Rozee and fellow NAB AFL Rising Star nominee Xavier Duursma – who have the ability to unsettle the Magpies' team defence.

The stat: The Power have never beaten Collingwood at Marvel Stadium, losing their previous four games at the venue to the Pies by an average of 43 points. The teams haven't met there since 2012.

The match-up: Brodie Grundy v Scott Lycett and Paddy Ryder
It all starts at the source, and Power pair Lycett (ranked No.94 in the Official AFL Player Ratings) and Ryder (No.22) will look to nullify the AFL's premier ruckman Grundy (No.4), just as Lycett and Nathan Vardy did in West Coast's Grand Final triumph seven months ago.

Brodie Grundy and Scott Lycett faced off in last year's Grand Final. Picture: AFL Photos
Brodie%20Grundy%20v%20Scott%20Lycett.JPG

It’s a big week for: Tom Rockliff
The prolific onballer amassed 43 touches in Brisbane's win over the Pies at the MCG in round 21, 2014, but in his two games against them since then, both at the MCG, he has managed just 18 (after being injured in the third quarter in his first game as Lions' captain in round one, 2015) and 17 in Port's round 22 loss last year.

Big call: Port comes agonisingly close to toppling both 2018 Grand Finalists

Prediction: Magpies by 10 points

Source: AFL Website

I'm looking forward to this game. I give Port a sneaky chance of contending this year and this game will tell us a lot about how they'll go this year.

I'm going Port in a close one with Port's ruckmen to nullify Grundy.

A tough ask for Port tonight. We have a couple of our quality mature players out and testing depth and developing youth.

The kids are playing well but will have their ups and downs.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Hard to see Port winning given their up and down form and knowing how good the Pies can be be.

Which is why I am picking Port by 5 goals in this crazy year of footy!

Really keen for this game. Big Friday night feeling. Rozee to confirm his Rising Star status and the Pies to win by 5 after JDG goals late.

The query I have with Port is how long before the weekly grind if the season starts to wear down Rozee, Duursma and Butters.

I tip them to win tonight though. I think the Vic press overrates the big Melbourne clubs and on form there's not much in it, but I lean to the Power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why anyone would think this game will be even close... Wins against North Melbourne, Carlton, Melbourne and West Coast... Only the West Coast win is admirable... the rest of those sides are absolute trash.

Not sure why anyone would think this game will be even close... Wins against North Melbourne, Carlton, Melbourne and West Coast... Only the West Coast win is admirable... the rest of those sides are absolute trash.
Because
- 2 of those 4 wins were away from home.
- Even in the 2 losses, Port Adelaide had led with 4 mins left in the last quarter.

They've been in touch in every game - why is it such a stretch to assume that they'll be in touch in this one.

I've picked Collingwood by <2 goals. If we had any 2 of Gray, Dixon, Hartlett, Jonas in, then I'd tip Port.
But Collingwood's depth is better, and it's in Melbourne.

And Geelong and WCE beat you.. And your wins aren't much better?

Two can play that game

Back