Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 13 - Dogs v Port Fri June 9th 7:50pm AEST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Port by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ooohhh scary.
Pratfall imminently approaching

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230609_223204_Google.png
    Screenshot_20230609_223204_Google.png
    467.3 KB · Views: 33

Dogs rely on a few stars to win games and have possibly more vfl standard players in their side than any other team.
For a side that’s serious about trying to contend, there’s far too many James O’Donnell, Anthony Scott, Laitham Vandermeer sort of players

I thought Port got the rub of the green to be honest. Good enough to win, but definitely a few favourable calls. The shepherd non-goal is the one people remember, but there were a few others. Allir was caught holding the ball 15 out directing in front and not paid either. Was a strange match. A few non 50 metres, or just general inconsistent calls. I was frustrated as a neutral. Thought the Dogs could have easily had a few more calls their way.

Having said that, Port always looked a step ahead. They always managed a quick reply to keep the dogs at bay. They look good this season, and are well on their way to being at the right part of the ladder to compete come finals time. Can they improve on the '20,21 years? As this stage, it is the finals that will tell. It is obviously important to bank h&a wins to give themselves the best shot. If they bomb in the finals it is just another wasted year.

On the Dogs, they can be frustrating to watch. There is a fair bit of talent in the team. Maybe not the most, or maybe not the best, but the list is definitely talented. Too often they, as a team, and as individuals over process the ball, and try to finesse the perfect play, only for it to come undone after 6 handballs inside 4 metres. They really need to play more on instinct, and take the first option sometimes, and sometimes that is getting the ball forward in an attacking position.
I thought on replay alir was tripped and unlucky not to have been paid free

Houston did not run over the mark.

Just cause a player is on the other side of the mark does not mean you can cross it to get to him.

Houston ran around, daniels just ran across. He should have ran around.

Absolutely should have been pinged.
Daniels was following Houston on a straight line, the Port player who marked the ball was walking backwards, Umps never pay those ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniels was following Houston on a straight line, the Port player who marked the ball was walking backwards, Umps never pay those ones.

Yes they do. You can’t cross the mark just because the player was walking backwards. Wtf are you on about?

Houston didn’t cross the mark. Daniels is too slow, sees Houston and runs across the mark to get to him.

Every player in that scenario is expected to run around the mark or clear the area.

Crossing the mark is a 50. End of story.

Do they ever get the deliberate out of bounds correct?
Were gutless with not paying deliberate out of bounds for so long that it became a joke rule a bit like kicking in danger is now. We're now seeing the typical knee-jerk overreaction that the AFL usually has. This is made worse with the AFL not having the guts to admit this and consistently changing the interpretation instead of just admitting that an umpire made a mistake.

For a side that’s serious about trying to contend, there’s far too many James O’Donnell, Anthony Scott, Laitham Vandermeer sort of players
Anthony Scott is fine in and of himself. He's a role player, knows it, and majority of the time does it.

Vandermeer is only in the side due to injuries to JJ and Richards. I'd have preferred Cleary or Crozier instead, and sacrificed a little run out of Half-back for someone who actually knows how to defend.

I assumed O'Donnell was in the side for 2 or 3 games to get a taste for the game "at senior level" against weaker opposition, but I'll be absolutely ****ed if I know why he's in the side now.

Our MAIN problem is actually our 2nd and 3rd defenders. Bruce is an absolute liability and should never be allowed to enter D50 ever again. Gardner is borderline competent defensively when he has his good games, but an absolutely liability with ball in hand or if it hits the deck. O'Brien has iffy disposal and is prone to the absolute howler when the pressure is on in the last quarter, while also lacks the proper nous to play the interceptor role, or lacks the physical strength required to be a one-one-one defender.

Busslinger still way too green to throw into seniors footy yet. Khamis could play the 3rd but lacks something (I still can't put my finger on it). Raak I doubt will ever get there.

I genuinely don't know what the * has happened to Alex Keath, but he's probably the best of the remainder, and he's fallen off a cliff.

My kingdom for a Noah Balta or Nathan Broad type, someone who isn't a star, but actually manages to defend a friggin' inside 50 entry.

3 or 4 years ago we had genuine depth and cover in all areas of the ground. Now our best 22 isn't best 22 standard, our general ball use is ******* putrid, and our goal kicking is worst in the league by the length of John Holmes' schlong.

Players played out of position and not allowed to develop in one spot, I'm getting SUPER ******* jack of it, and we're pissing away the best years of Bont, Macrae and Libbas careers

EDIT: *, just heard Bevo say he thought Vandermeer had a good game. Looks like he's sticking around for a while. * SAKE!!!

Last edited:
They smashed wines in the back on the lineZ

Commentary just outright w***ers
That's BT for you though. Know someone's a moron when their argument for why something isn't a free is that every other umpire gets it wrong so this umpire should too. No wonder umpiring standards in the AFL are a joke.

Back