Autopsy AFL 2021 2nd Preliminary Final - Port v Dogs Sat September 11th 7:40pm EST / 7:10pm CST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 60 33.0%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 44 24.2%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 42 23.1%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm I can only assume it’s because we were out in the public in Perth. But Jesus.. even if port were denied access to Melbourne to train the day before, I’d even admit it was a joke.
Partisanship and double-standards with the MCG aside, believe me many of us in Adelaide are equally confused about some of the health advice here in Adelaide.
We're all for maintaining whatever control we can over an outbreak until we get to the vaccination levels where there's no benefit in holding out any more (unlike NSW trying to spin their way into "leading the country in learning how to live with COVID" by forcing it through inadequacy) - but then there's things like this where we just invite flat-out ridicule. Suffice to say that our Chief Medical Officer is running the state now.

Not many bulldog supporters blaming their own team for the situation they find themselves in.

I reckon losing their last 3 games of the season and their lack of bench depth might have a bigger impact on their chances than the SA government, the pandemic or Bont's knee.

If they are good enough, they'll still win. If there is one thing ive learnt on big footy this year, it is that Port can't beat top 8 sides anyway.

lol it doesn’t overly bother me. I was more saying it with tongue in cheek that if roles were reversed.. you lot would be claiming more “Vic Bias”. Just would have been nice to have a run around on Adelaide oval the day before. Pretty sure all clubs have had loads of games this season where they have flown in on the day anyway.

But if we (ie PAFC) are punished each time, why should we care about not getting a benefit when someone else cops it?
Because if it's an issue that you would like rectified, perhaps an attitude of "Well we cop it so you should too" shouldn't be the best attitude. Be the change you want to see in the world, lad.

The bold is the point. When did we become favourites? Was it when we smashed Geelong off the park, having beaten you on your home ground the week earlier. Or was it 24-48 hours ago when people started to see your outs/ players who are carrying something. It's not us being good, it's the WB being held back and by us having the supposedly unfair advantage of playing on our home ground as the top seed. The media have no ******* idea, and ultimately the public are influenced by the media because they're sheep. It is something that is pretty consistent through Hinkley's tenure. It happened in 2014 when all our KPPs got injured at once at we went from 1st to 5th and everyone said we were gassed. In that 11-4 run in 2018, we suffered massive injuries and got run over the top by West Coast when we hardly had a bench(but we choked). I can remember in 2017 when we rolled West Coast at Subiaco in a 4.35pm Sunday timeslot and they dropped out of the 8 due to us being the last game for the week. The 'they've beaten noone in the 8' was the usual slur and the excitement in Dwayne Russell's (supposedly our guy, but everyone associated with Port hate him) voice when he realized he didn't have to count it as a top 8 win was extraordinary. 2020, we were never favorites, not once. We were joking about it on the Port Board at the time, assuming Brisbane would beat Geelong and we were joking that if we beat Richmond we would have gone the entire season ontop of the ladder and never been the favourite. What do people say about those years now? That we choked, everyone secretly believed in us all along.

We've used the injury sub the most of anyone this year and people were trying to use that as evidence we were gaming the system. People were happy to discount our outs when we were losing. People were happy to credit Richmond as one of the premiership favorites from 10th when they were playing trash, whilst we were no chance at 5th, and Sydney were a smokey, despite the fact we had recently beaten both of them (despite not beaten any 'genuine contenders'. I keep on hearing how we have no injuries. Don't we? Rockliff hasn't fired a shot this year because of injury. Fully fit he's as good as any midfielder you have that is not Bontempelli or Mcrae. Hartlett, despite being technically available, has barely fired a shot because his body is cooked. They are both 3 and 4 years younger than Martin respectively, so they count. That's 1.1mil p/a in salary sitting on the pine. Georgiades is our 2nd best KPF(and 3rd overall) and for all intents and purposes is your Naughton, or Geelong's Cameron. Fantasia's knee is being held together by some gaffa tape. He's our 2nd best forward this year. For half a season, Dixon, has been limping as badly as Bont probably will be halfway through games. The only person who has mentioned it was Kane Cornes calling Hinkley an idiot for putting him in a centre square bounce with a f’ed ankle. There is still a question as to whether Gray/ Duursma/ Butters/ Rozee are fully fit as well. No one gave us a pass for that. Noone gave a pass to Brisbane for having their entire forwardline out.

Why am I telling you this, why am I pissed off? The most logical thing that will happen, is both Melbourne and Port play in a GF and we lose. You won't hear a thing about their run with injury this year, not 1 bit. Whatever happens, people will try and diminish us. If we lose to the WB, we choked and will get torn apart. If we win, but then lose to Melbourne, it will be a 'see they were just lucky, they didn't beat anyone all year (despite beating most of the top 8)'. If we win a flag, it will be 'they got lucky, they got to sleep in their beds, they got to play at home, they played teams with injuries'. By that point I probably won't care, but those arguments will magically disappear if we play a GF at the MCG next year from 1st place. You will never hear those claims again and if we dare to bring it up we will be told that you 'have to win everywhere' whilst our opponents will play 5 games away from home (and probably lose 2-3 of them). We're set up so the only way we 'win' is to win a flag, and even then, there is an asterix against it. We get sh*t on for 20-23 rounds of the year and then suddenly we become unbackable favorites and not winning a flag (despite being told we can't win a flag all year) suddenly becomes something worthy of derision.

Take a chill pill dude. You have some advantages this week. It's ok. At least they are real. We've had people sooking about the umpires before the game has even been played and a conspiracy theory that Weightman will dodge the concussion rule 🤣

It's footy.

Every premiership has an asterix attached to it.

Not many bulldog supporters blaming their own team for the situation they find themselves in.

I reckon losing their last 3 games of the season and their lack of bench depth might have a bigger impact on their chances than the SA government, the pandemic or Bont's knee.

If they are good enough, they'll still win. If there is one thing ive learnt on big footy this year, it is that Port can't beat top 8 sides anyway.

Not finishing top 4 means we don't have home ground advantage, that is our punishment for not being top 4. Surely you can see that being the lower ranked team doesn't mean that we should be fine with not being able to train at all?

Do we want to add for future finals series, the lower ranked team isn't allowed to train?

Ok ok tell you what Doggies fans

We get “home ground advantage”
You get Stevic and Rosebury

Call it evens?

Jokes aside I agree with people calling it BS there’s no reason why the Dogs can’t train on AO today not scientifically anyways

Because if it's an issue that you would like rectified, perhaps an attitude of "Well we cop it so you should too" shouldn't be the best attitude. Be the change you want to see in the world, lad.
Maybe that's the attitude shown when securing an assurance and a pledge in 2019 from the AFL, which hasn't been delivered on. So a different tack is required. Lad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bold is the point. When did we become favourites? Was it when we smashed Geelong off the park, having beaten you on your home ground the week earlier. Or was it 24-48 hours ago when people started to see your outs/ players who are carrying something. It's not us being good, it's the WB being held back and by us having the supposedly unfair advantage of playing on our home ground as the top seed. The media have no ******* idea, and ultimately the public are influenced by the media because they're sheep. It is something that is pretty consistent through Hinkley's tenure. It happened in 2014 when all our KPPs got injured at once at we went from 1st to 5th and everyone said we were gassed. In that 11-4 run in 2018, we suffered massive injuries and got run over the top by West Coast when we hardly had a bench(but we choked). I can remember in 2017 when we rolled West Coast at Subiaco in a 4.35pm Sunday timeslot and they dropped out of the 8 due to us being the last game for the week. The 'they've beaten noone in the 8' was the usual slur and the excitement in Dwayne Russell's (supposedly our guy, but everyone associated with Port hate him) voice when he realized he didn't have to count it as a top 8 win was extraordinary. 2020, we were never favorites, not once. We were joking about it on the Port Board at the time, assuming Brisbane would beat Geelong and we were joking that if we beat Richmond we would have gone the entire season ontop of the ladder and never been the favourite. What do people say about those years now? That we choked, everyone secretly believed in us all along.

We've used the injury sub the most of anyone this year and people were trying to use that as evidence we were gaming the system. People were happy to discount our outs when we were losing. People were happy to credit Richmond as one of the premiership favorites from 10th when they were playing trash, whilst we were no chance at 5th, and Sydney were a smokey, despite the fact we had recently beaten both of them (despite not beaten any 'genuine contenders'. I keep on hearing how we have no injuries. Don't we? Rockliff hasn't fired a shot this year because of injury. Fully fit he's as good as any midfielder you have that is not Bontempelli or Mcrae. Hartlett, despite being technically available, has barely fired a shot because his body is cooked. They are both 3 and 4 years younger than Martin respectively, so they count. That's 1.1mil p/a in salary sitting on the pine. Georgiades is our 2nd best KPF(and 3rd overall) and for all intents and purposes is your Naughton, or Geelong's Cameron. Fantasia's knee is being held together by some gaffa tape. He's our 2nd best forward this year. For half a season, Dixon, has been limping as badly as Bont probably will be halfway through games. The only person who has mentioned it was Kane Cornes calling Hinkley an idiot for putting him in a centre square bounce with a f’ed ankle. There is still a question as to whether Gray/ Duursma/ Butters/ Rozee are fully fit as well. No one gave us a pass for that. Noone gave a pass to Brisbane for having their entire forwardline out.

Why am I telling you this, why am I pissed off? The most logical thing that will happen, is both Melbourne and Port play in a GF and we lose. You won't hear a thing about their run with injury this year, not 1 bit. Whatever happens, people will try and diminish us. If we lose to the WB, we choked and will get torn apart. If we win, but then lose to Melbourne, it will be a 'see they were just lucky, they didn't beat anyone all year (despite beating most of the top 8)'. If we win a flag, it will be 'they got lucky, they got to sleep in their beds, they got to play at home, they played teams with injuries'. By that point I probably won't care, but those arguments will magically disappear if we play a GF at the MCG next year from 1st place. You will never hear those claims again and if we dare to bring it up we will be told that you 'have to win everywhere' whilst our opponents will play 5 games away from home (and probably lose 2-3 of them). We're set up so the only way we 'win' is to win a flag, and even then, there is an asterix against it. We get sh*t on for 20-23 rounds of the year and then suddenly we become unbackable favorites and not winning a flag (despite being told we can't win a flag all year) suddenly becomes something worthy of derision.
Wow. I think the take home message is Port havent been respected? The image of the tarps lingers. Gotta do something to earn respect, and from what I hear it'll never be possible in Adelaide for anybody who isnt a port fan to respect port. Lots of burnt bridges...

You guys are favourites for saturday because youre injury free (comparatively), rested, at home, home crowd support, not quarantined and we have massive outs and injuries. You guys are deserved favourites for tomorrow. You may not have been most of the year, so what? Situations change, and this week favours you. If cats beat dees you may go in as faves next week too, if Dees win probably not.

Does it matter? Nope.

On the flip side no other side has finished as high as the dogs after playing 41 players in the 1's. Youre comparing your 2nd/3rd best forward (whos out) with our current best (having our best forward already out, trumped ya), our 3rd best fwd is out (Flea), our key back is now out, our key link midfield general is on leg and we have a ruckman whos a serious ? and your trying to play an injury card - pffffftt! You have no idea. If we win it'll all be about umpiring, just watch.

Focus on this game, hopefully your team is mirroring you and carrying a chip the size of a brick on both shoulders, thats what we'll need saturday.

Hopefully a return to normality and the throwers get done in a close prelim

Fair chance we do get done, but should give Port a better game than a side who have choked the last 3 years. Enjoy the game, you must be used to watching finals hoping other sides could knock off teams yours couldn't.

Doesn't seem to be much common sense in allowing the Dogs to play in front of a packed crowd, but not train at the same stadium while it's virtually empty. Golden opportunity for Port, which they need to capitalise on, or you'd think the mental demons would start to make it far more difficult from next season onwards.

Utterly ridiculous by SA health yet again.

Presumably the Dog’s knew this a while out though? I’m surprised they aren’t flying in on game day like other teams have done and like Port and the crows were doing in reverse.

Presumably the Dog’s knew this a while out though? I’m surprised they aren’t flying in on game day like other teams have done and like Port and the crows were doing in reverse.
That's the very reasonable other side of this argument. Surely this isn't new information.

Maybe that's the attitude shown when securing an assurance and a pledge in 2019 from the AFL, which hasn't been delivered on. So a different tack is required. Lad.
So you're completely comfortable with not being able to train on the MCG then, provided the same treatment is given to every other team coming to SA?

It looks like we had a run in Perth today before flying out to SA this afternoon.

It’s probably been known for a couple of days given we did have a small run in Perth today and if you watch Bevo’s interview he wasn’t complaining as such, but he was rather quite bewildered by the situation and couldn’t really grasp the concept of why they couldn’t have a run in Adelaide like we’ve done in other states the past couple of weeks.

I think the media is making more of storm of the situation than was intended but who knows.

So you're completely comfortable with not being able to train on the MCG then, provided the same treatment is given to every other team coming to SA?
No, I'm comfortable that the AFL (who is responsible for every team and every game) can deliver on its pledge to deliver on something it promised.
And comfortable that the decision on access to Adelaide Oval is SA Health's decision, not Port Adelaide's.

It looks like we had a run in Perth today before flying out to SA this afternoon.

It’s probably been known for a couple of days given we did have a small run in Perth today and if you watch Bevo’s interview he wasn’t complaining as such, but he was rather quite bewildered by the situation and couldn’t really grasp the concept of why they couldn’t have a run in Adelaide like we’ve done in other states the past couple of weeks.

I think the media is making more of storm of the situation than was intended but who knows.
Bulldogs have been granted access to Adelaide oval tomorrow morning.

Back