Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 13 - Freo v Tigers Sat June 10th 7:25pm AEST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing p!sses me off more than someone who posts the same crap over and over and in such a patronising and smug manner and level of assuredness that eventually demands their ignorance is exposed.

So let me start with the one thing you are right about ... that nowhere in the rule book does it state that the free kick count must be level. I agree with you 100%. What is clearly lost on you however, was that in the first three and a bit quarters, we were awarded a grand total of 3 free kicks. This is despite the greasy conditions and laying in excess of seventy tackles as well as leading the contested ball count all night. That Fremantle received 18 free kicks for the night is hardly remarkable ... it's pretty much in line with the AFL average and I agree that the vast majority of those were warranted or at least a strong case could be made.

Like I said though, conceding 18 free kicks can hardly be considered undisciplined or an indictment on our style of play. Our main gripe however was that Freo weren't being penalised for similar infringements. Does anyone honestly believe that - for just this one very special night only, and as a remarkable outlier to the thousands and thousands of AFL games that have come before it, Fremantle produced the such a disciplined & almost flawless performance whereby they somehow didn't infringe in practically every spoil, tackle, contested possession or contest that involved a Richmond opponent?? That somehow in a game that saw over 200 contested possessions to that point, more than 100 tackles and eighty 1%'ers their technique, physical control & discipline was of such an unseen level that they infringed on a mere 3 occasions?? Wow.

And prey tell, just how exactly do you ''play in a way that causes the opposition to infringe in an effort to stop you'' that doesn't involve staging? I'm intrigued and would also love to hear your thoughts about what specifically was different in the way we played last night to the rest of the season (and pretty much the rest of AFL history for that matter) that resulted in us being awarded such an unprecedented low number of free kicks.
I love that the trolls deliberately ignore this post. This is exactly the point. We are undisciplined and do conceded more frees because of it. That's not the issue. Issue is we also receive the least. Last night we won every stat, first to the ball, 70 tackles and yet only 3 free kicks half way through the last. That's the issue, because we don't get them. But let's just troll and say we are undisciplined whilst ignoring the real issue.

Yes I guess that free kick to Walters in front of goal, the goal to Richmond that was disallowed and the dozen odd holding the ball that weren't played had absolutely no impact on the game.
I stand corrected.
I’m glad you said it.

A

Adammania taking blows whilst attempting to duck and weave. And the bell goes to end the round. Adammania well behind on points you'd have to think despite a spirited beginning to the encounter.

Don't take it too seriously brother. 😉
He reminds me of Mike Tyson's sparring partner

Poor fellow tries and tries really hard but cant avoid getting smashed with every punch mike throws
usually because he is just too slow

Mate umpiring was bad in general, fyfe basically had someone hanging onto him half the game, was a good game, richmond deserved to win, margin probably correct all things considered. take out aish getting knocked out and that ARC review we probably steal it
if you are trying to be a comedian you are doing a fantastic job

Yep, the price of being second to the ball. Players should know by now.
incorrect. at the last split second the ball bounced at right angles, both players had no time to switch to plan B or adjust, A collision was inevitable with two players going at break-neck pace, Mansell just happened to protect himself better on this occasion.

incorrect. at the last split second the ball bounced at right angles, both players had no time to switch to plan B or adjust, A collision was inevitable with two players going at break-neck pace, Mansell just happened to protect himself better on this occasion.

You can see him hes 5 metres off the ball when aish is 3, hes late. in any instance, aish goes for the ball trusting mansell does the same thing. Mansell not trusting aish elects to bump instead, they both go for the ball maybe you get a head clash, mansell bumps and aish doesnt will end up in a concussion more times than not.

Floorless hahahahahah. Go back to school
I believe the word you are reaching for is 'flawless'.

'Floorless' on the other hand is where there is no floor to stand on.

I'd say if anyone needs to go back to school its your good self but then again you seem like the type where it has been and would again be lost on you. 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love that the trolls deliberately ignore this post. This is exactly the point. We are undisciplined and do conceded more frees because of it. That's not the issue. Issue is we also receive the least. Last night we won every stat, first to the ball, 70 tackles and yet only 3 free kicks half way through the last. That's the issue, because we don't get them. But let's just troll and say we are undisciplined whilst ignoring the real issue.
I agree 100% and to be fair, I can understand why many opposition supporters may conclude we're a bunch of conspiracy theorists or serial whingers etc. For starters, you would expect that the vast majority wouldn't watch us play nearly as often or as intently as we would and are therefore more likely to be giving their opinions about disparate events rather than the emerging trend or a consolidated body of work that we are really referencing. With their perspective typically confined to the realm of a particular match, we get the usual banal offerings such as 'the free kick count doesn't have to be equal' or 'what about incident x where we got screwed ... you can't say they're biased' etc and overlooking the point that we get that too if your sample size is one game but not when it's the majority of games for six consecutive seasons ... over that sample size you would expect that it would more or less even itself out - except that it hasn't!

More pertinently and as you alluded to, it is the free kicks we don't get paid for infringements which for all intents and purposes looked no different to those we were penalised for. What makes this so easy to miss though is that by and large, the incidents we are referring are not so much the obvious free kicks that only the most myopic supporter would disagree with, but rather those that require a degree of interpretation such as HTB or incidental v non-incidental contact etc. I'm talking about the decisions that you'll never reach a consensus upon in the AFL community, never mind an admission from the AFL that they got it wrong ... after-all there is no objective test such as 'a legal tackle that is held for greater than 2.5 seconds or rotates the opposition player 540 degrees or more shall be rewarded' etc. There are countless contests in every game which rely upon the umpires interpretation rather than a binary decision in that it either occurred or it didn't. There's also the other subtle ways they can favour one side - deliberately or not - such as quick whistle for a ball-up when we've got an opponent trapped on the deck in possession of the ball whilst our bloke in the same position suffers a drawn out death before being executed.

At the end of the day though, we see it week-in-week-out, season after season and it reaches a point where supporters are just fed up with it and no, we're not imaging it ... the numbers are compelling - in the six completed seasons from 2017 we have finished in 18th, 18th, 13th, 17th, 18th and 18th place on the average free kick differential ladder and if it was something specific we were doing or a particular player or players, then don't you think we would be holding the coaches and players accountable and demanding that the problem is addressed? Of course we would but it's perpetrated in such an insidious way that inevitable outcome is that the number of supporters who are becoming outraged and the level of that anger grows bit by bit to every week until it can no longer be ignored.

I believe the word you are reaching for is 'flawless'.

'Floorless' on the other hand is where there is no floor to stand on.

I'd say if anyone needs to go back to school its your good self but then again you seem like the type where it has been and would again be lost on you. 😉
Jeeeezus you better be taking the mick

If only you knew how silly that post is, you wouldn’t have bothered

chuckling-chuckle.gif

I didn't realise that you're such a big deal :D

Back